SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-05-14, 12:45 PM   #1
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Has anyone else played this? Did you have to wear a nappy (diaper) while playing it?
Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 02:21 PM   #2
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

I played Shadow of Chernobyl. It is a good game. Not totally outstanding but worth the money.
I didn't find it to be that scary either so no need to stock up on underpants.
Old 09-05-14, 02:46 PM   #3
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15

It's imperfect, it feels a bit unfinished and there are elements of it which are boringly repetitive but it is one of my favourite games of all time. I love it to bits. The atmosphere is pretty much unmatched, I think. I like the sequels too but the first one is my favourite.

Last edited by Egan; 09-06-14 at 06:52 PM.
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 09:58 PM   #4
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

If you need a nappy while playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R., then you probably need a catheter, colostomy bag and a feeding tube to play the Misery mod for Call of Pripyat

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 10:35 PM   #5
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

I got nearly to the end of the first STALKER game and then a bug ruined it for me. I been meaning to get back into them for a while but here lately i've been sooo busy. Don't even have the weekends off anymore with fall baseball and work.

Anyway, good games...bugs suck...if you can mod or patch them out, (which i'm sure you can) go for it. You'll have fun.
Old 09-06-14, 02:36 AM   #6
Flamebatter90
Medic

Downloads: 3

They are OK games. The combat sucks though, it's almost like Morrowind's combat, except you won't get better at it over time. Install some mods and you will enjoy the games more.
Flamebatter90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 02:55 AM   #7
CCIP
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamebatter90 View Post
They are OK games. The combat sucks though, it's almost like Morrowind's combat, except you won't get better at it over time. Install some mods and you will enjoy the games more.
Yup, like most things, it is substantially better with mods

IMO there's not really any reason to play the game without mods - it's only with them that it becomes more like it should've been from the start. A good starting point for that would be the Complete mods!

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 09-06-14, 03:32 AM   #8
Flamebatter90
Medic

Downloads: 3

I would recommend the Autumn Aurora 2 for Shadow of Chernobyl, liked it a lot more than Complete. It also changes the combat, so you can hit and kill things easier. Though, it also makes other humans hit and kill you easier.

For Call of Pripyat, definitely go with Misery 2.1.1., it's hard but the sense of achievement is greatly increased when you get something done.
Flamebatter90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 08:22 AM   #9
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
It's imperfect, it feels a bit unfinished and there are elements of it which are boringly repetitive but it is one of my favourite games of all time. I love it too bits. The atmosphere is pretty much unmatched, I think. I like the sequels too but the first one is my favourite.
I've heard a lot of people say similar things about the first game, that despite its unfinished feel it's the best one and I agree so far. I believe they were aiming to achieve what was described as a "seamless, open world", but development had taken so long they had to abandon that concept. I've only just started into "Call of Pripyat" but it feels quite different from the first game.

They both run fine on my pc but I cannot get "Clear Sky" to run at all, so I don't know which of the other two this most resembles.

I was only into WW2 shooters when I chanced upon the Stalker disc on a charity stall. It immediately broadened my gaming horizons.

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 09-06-14 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-06-14, 10:13 AM   #10
CCIP
Navy Seal

I think all three are worth playing. I thought Clear Sky was the weakest of the three, mostly because it never makes that much use of some of its more interesting features (faction war etc.), came out a bit more buggy, and of all the games is the quickest to force you down a linear kind of endgame path. Try as they might, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games were always the weakest in their linear parts (except maybe the X-labs which were and always will be scary as heck), and best in the open world. My best experience with the game by far has been in the Misery mod for CoP, though even I'll be first to admit that it's not everyone's cup of tea and is possibly too hardcore. Then again, you could say that about S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in general - it's not something that works for everybody.

Otherwise, I think it's a testament to the game's strength and concept that after so many years there is still an active, loyal and shamelessly hardcore following for it, and mods are still being made and improved. I think one of the draws of the game is that it's really pretty uncompromising and pretends that the last decade or so of 1st person shooters never happened. It's mercilessly hard, and it tells you nothing. There's no "run here! shoot this! HEADSHOT! achievement unlocked!" and it always explains very little about the zone, how it works, who your enemies are, or how to beat them. It doesn't tell you where the entertainment is, and in fact, does nothing to promise you fun. The zone runs by its own rules, but it's not going to tell you those. When it tries to explain, it does so kind of poorly, but in a way that actually makes it better because it keeps you in suspense. You're left to make sense of it and survive on your own, and it's really easy to screw up. Almost any time that you squeeze the trigger in S.T.A.L.K.E.R., you don't really know what's gonna happen. The gunfights in it are a million times more interesting than in any "modern" single-player shooter. The game world is more merciless and more immersive. And I think that's what keeps a certain group of players always coming back for more

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 09-06-14, 12:51 PM   #11
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Thanks for the CoP mod tip. I hadn't so far seriously considered searching these out: so often I've found that patching can undermine a previously smooth-running game, but I don't know whether this goes for "mods" as well (forgive my ignorance but it's still pretty new territory for me).

Yes, the sense of place is absolutely unique in this game and you sum it up well. It kind of puts me in mind of a smashed country following WW2; you just move through a gloomy, desolate landscape, with the occasional glimpse a lonely figure going about their own grim business. Why the appeal, then? It's an enigmatic game, for sure...

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 09-06-14 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-07-14, 02:38 AM   #12
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Quote:
I would recommend the Autumn Aurora 2 for Shadow of Chernobyl, liked it a lot more than Complete. It also changes the combat, so you can hit and kill things easier. Though, it also makes other humans hit and kill you easier.

For Call of Pripyat, definitely go with Misery 2.1.1., it's hard but the sense of achievement is greatly increased when you get something done.
Thanks for that tip, too. I've moved from WW2 shooters into all kinds of stuff after finding STALKER (FEAR, Crysis, Necrovision plus no end of modern-day fps such as Battlefield: Bad Co.2, ArmA and the rest) but like many others I find there's a desire to keep dipping back into Stalker, even though I've played it through once.

What do you get with Autumn Aurora 2?
Old 09-07-14, 10:14 AM   #13
CCIP
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhornchen View Post

What do you get with Autumn Aurora 2?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/autumn-aur...mod-features12

The biggest thing you get is a graphics overhaul, which is nice considering the game's age. There's also gameplay fixes and balances, and a bunch of interface features brought up to Call of Pripyat standards (repair, artifact detectors, sleeping areas, etc.). And well, it's autumn so you also get a different atmosphere.

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 09-07-14, 10:42 AM   #14
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

What, like even more gloomy than before? Good. Thanks for that, my friend. Now, if they could only make it snow...
Old 09-09-14, 01:52 PM   #15
tripjack
Swabbie

Downloads: 134

Played SoC recently and it definitely has its moments. If you want a more vanilla mod experience go with the SoC starter pack. Has the Zone Reclamation Project (bugfixing mod) and plenty of graphics enhancements. Or just grab the ZRP and forget the graphics mods.

I should warn you now though to prepare for a disappointing ending. I don't know if any of the big mods like Autumn Aurora rectify this issue or not, but it is obvious that GSC ran out of time or money or motivation when designing CNPP. In the vanilla game it sucks.

Quote:
The combat sucks though, it's almost like Morrowind's combat
lolwhat
tripjack is offline   Reply With Quote