SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-20-10, 04:21 PM   #1
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127
Default Help me!!!

I'm trying to fix my Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start mod to not load the default missions, and instead load a (as a test) a simple patrol mission. I've save the test mission in it's own folder, with the same filename as the folder, in "PatrolObjectives," edited the DynamicMiss to include it at the end, changed all the necessary lines, and even changed the dates of any pre-Dec. 7th stuff in there hoping that would stop it loading. When it didn't, I tried changing the Objectives in the Flotillas.upc from AvailabilityInterval=NULL, to AvailabilityInterval=1941-12-07,. All that did was try to have a PH based boat go all the way to Luzon Strait to patrol!

I've searched all over here, bookmarked and tried all the tricks I could find, but nothing worked. I had already asked awhile back on the mods forum for help in this, and got absolutely nothing. I thought I'd ask one more time here.

Please?!?
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 07:18 PM   #2
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615 View Post
I'm trying to fix my Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start mod to not load the default missions, and instead load a (as a test) a simple patrol mission. I've save the test mission in it's own folder, with the same filename as the folder, in "PatrolObjectives," edited the DynamicMiss to include it at the end, changed all the necessary lines, and even changed the dates of any pre-Dec. 7th stuff in there hoping that would stop it loading. When it didn't, I tried changing the Objectives in the Flotillas.upc from AvailabilityInterval=NULL, to AvailabilityInterval=1941-12-07,. All that did was try to have a PH based boat go all the way to Luzon Strait to patrol!

I've searched all over here, bookmarked and tried all the tricks I could find, but nothing worked. I had already asked awhile back on the mods forum for help in this, and got absolutely nothing. I thought I'd ask one more time here.

Please?!?
You sound like you kind of know what you are doing but a bit confused on the files. So I am not going to go into step by step folder details, as long as you can find the necessary files to work with.

Well, first of all this it is not a "Dynamic Mission", so it does not go there. Is this "your" Pre Pearl Harbor or from someone elses that you are changing? You say you changed the pre-Dec 7th stuff that was in there. If there is other stuff to deal with then things may not go right.
There are a lot of dates in there that don't mean a thing. Some files have date of 1938 but the file that loads them uses a different date, so you could have one dated 1938 but it never gets loaded until 1944, so like I say "some" dates don't matter.

If you are just adding one more career start then some stuff does not have to be changed.

So try this from stock copies of the Campaign files and as you use this stuff, copy it out to make a MOD.

1. Put your mission into the Data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolOjectives folder. (In other words create a PartolObjectives folder in your mod and put your mission into it, Same with the rest).

2. Go to flotillas.upc and add the mission to the base and subs that you want to be able to use it following the format:

[Flotilla 1.UserPlayerUnitType 1.Objective 1]
ID= PH1Obj1
NameDisplayable= East China Sea
AvailabilityInterval=1942-01-01, NULL
ObjectiveCode= East China Sea

Flotilla number I assume will be 1 for Pearl Harbor
UserPlayerUnitType number is the sub.
Name Displayable is whatever you want it to be
Available interval is start and end dates when it is available. In you case you can use Null for the startdate.
Make sure you change the ID and Objective 1 to the proper numbers so they are next in line.

Important: ObjectiveCode will find a mission that matches the objective code, so make it unique so it MUST pick your mission and no other. In the game you could have 5 missions to Partol the East China Sea all with the same Objective code, but the same or different dates. That is how the game randomly picks a mission, by picking one from the available choices.
__________________________________________________ ____________
4. Now in the same folder as the Flotilla.upc you will find "PartolObjectives.cfg" Open this with notepad and add your mission by copying an existing one that matches the type of mission you Created. If you created a mission to Patrol an area then copy one that is a Patrol mission so the "ObjectiveType=4" will match.

THE IMPORTANT PARTS:
[Section 233]
ID=ID233
these must be next in line.
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Patrol Sulu Sea 03/Patrol Sulu Sea 03.mis

This is the actual path and name of your mission. Double check for spelling. The green parts should be the parts you have to change.
StartDate=19420905
EndDate=19441101
Should be obvious.
AllMatch=Yellow Sea
This refers back to the ObjectiveCode that you used in the Flotilla.
So if you set your ObjectiveCode=North of Hawaii
then your AllMatch will be
AllMatch=North of Hawaii

This was a quick throw together, I hope I didn't miss anything. Set this as a MOD and enable it.

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-10, 09:11 AM   #3
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
Is this "your" Pre Pearl Harbor or from someone elses that you are changing?
It's my Pre PH Career mod that I'm trying to add pre-war patrols to. I'm trying to get the game to not load the regular war patrols when starting a career before Dec. 7th. For example, when based in Manila a couple of times I've been ordered to photo recon enemy carriers in Manila before the war's even started, not to mention the Japanese haven't even taken the city yet!

So I want my pre-war, probably just sailing around until the war starts, to be the only patrols to be used until the second patrol is started, which will be after the war has begun.

I'll probably include some war patrol type changes to the pre-war patrols using triggers for Dec. 7th and after, I just want to not be told to sink enemy ships and stuff before there's an enemy.

One other thing I'm hoping to do is include the PH attack in the game. The Jap task force is already modeled, so I thought about patrols north of Hawaii, where the sub might *accidentally* encounter it. Or more likely, a short patrol where you go out and do a few test dives, then come back in before the 7th. I think that would be cool to try shooting down some planes, like the Narwhal really did.

Thank you so much for the reply. I'll try them later today and see if that works.
Old 05-21-10, 11:40 AM   #4
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
It's my Pre PH Career mod that I'm trying to add pre-war patrols to. I'm trying to get the game to not load the regular war patrols when starting a career before Dec. 7th. For example, when based in Manila a couple of times I've been ordered to photo recon enemy carriers in Manila before the war's even started, not to mention the Japanese haven't even taken the city yet!

So I want my pre-war, probably just sailing around until the war starts, to be the only patrols to be used until the second patrol is started, which will be after the war has begun.

I'll probably include some war patrol type changes to the pre-war patrols using triggers for Dec. 7th and after, I just want to not be told to sink enemy ships and stuff before there's an enemy.

One other thing I'm hoping to do is include the PH attack in the game. The Jap task force is already modeled, so I thought about patrols north of Hawaii, where the sub might *accidentally* encounter it. Or more likely, a short patrol where you go out and do a few test dives, then come back in before the 7th. I think that would be cool to try shooting down some planes, like the Narwhal really did.

Thank you so much for the reply. I'll try them later today and see if that works.
Ok, if I am reading this right, you are not creating a new Career Start you are only changing the date of the one that exists. So in that case, in the Flotillas.upc and the PatrolObjectives.cfg change any "Startdate" that is set to NULL and give it a date of Dec 8. Except of course the ones you are creating.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 05-21-10, 11:53 AM   #5
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Ok, if I am reading this right, you are not creating a new Career Start you are only changing the date of the one that exists. So in that case, in the Flotillas.upc and the PatrolObjectives.cfg change any "Startdate" that is set to NULL and give it a date of Dec 8. Except of course the ones you are creating.
That's pretty much it. What I was missing was the PatrolObjectives.cfg.

While I'm writing, I thought of something else awhile ago. Say I'm patrolling on Dec. 4th and spot a Jap task force. If I send in a contact report, it'll tell me to sink ships, even though there's no war. The contact reports are loaded by the DynamicMISS.cfg, so in order to not have those display until after the 7th, I should change the start dates in the cfg? And then create and add new ones?
Old 05-21-10, 02:06 PM   #6
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
That's pretty much it. What I was missing was the PatrolObjectives.cfg.

While I'm writing, I thought of something else awhile ago. Say I'm patrolling on Dec. 4th and spot a Jap task force. If I send in a contact report, it'll tell me to sink ships, even though there's no war. The contact reports are loaded by the DynamicMISS.cfg, so in order to not have those display until after the 7th, I should change the start dates in the cfg? And then create and add new ones?
I haven't tested with any Dynamic missions but that makes sense that it should work. You could run a little test mission to see what happens. I would think the first 'mission' could be a "follow them' type of thing. Maybe a huge "Patrol area" with a message to follow and maintain contact. Certainly not easy submerged, so do you move away and risk losing them? Hmmmmm....
Once the planes are launched then you get to play President....what do you do? It is a fact that the US fired the first shot in the Pacific war at a minisub outside the harbor entrance. But can you attack some ships "on a training mission"?

Just a note on the "return to Pearl and shooting at the planes". You may get sunk and end your career right there. And a LOT of planes will lag the game terribly for most computers.

Another thing to consider, Pearl has "Locations" that are actually the destroyed ships. If you plan to be in Pearl, that won't look right. You may want to replace them with actual Battleships and have the 'wrecks' appear later. They are in Campaign.LOC.mis, you could load it, delete the wrecks and save a new copy with a different filename and dates. Then have the original reload after Dec 7th. The problem you may run into is the planes get shot down and don't destroy the Battleships.

Also, from another quote in your explaination.

[quote]One other thing I'm hoping to do is include the PH attack in the game. The Jap task force is already modeled, so I thought about patrols north of Hawaii, where the sub might *accidentally* encounter it.[quote]

The attack force is in the game but it will not work right. (I don't think) I looked at it and the Task Force is where is belongs (about) in Nov 41 but they did NOT select "evolve from entry date" so it will not move prior to the starting date of the mission Dec 7.
So it will not be where it belongs. So if you want to use it, you will have to redo it. But you can not change the "evolve from entry date" without separating the "group", make the change and then 'regroup' them. I have also not tested to see if 'evolve from entry date' will work before the actual game starts. I know it works during the game, but I don't know if it will work at the beginning.
So set the starting date and have it evolve from entry date so it will move even before you start your mission to intercept it.

The way I would test it is this:
1. Correct the Pearl attack mission date and set to evolve from entry date and save it. You can test it in the mission editor using the play buttons, and time compress.
2. Create a NEW mission, then merge the Pearl Harbor attack mission, do NOT select to Merge as Saveable. You don't want to save it you want the game to load it. By merging it you will know exactly where they are and can position your sub in the exact spot it should be in. Make sure you zoom way in so you are not hundreds of miles away and think you are right on top of them. Once you have your sub in the proper location at the proper time, save it as a Single Mission and test it. Because the 'merged' mission is not set as saveable, you will only get your mission with your sub in it. The game will load the rest, we hope.

You may already know this stuff, I don't know, you seem to know some of how this works. So I do not mean to insult you if you already know.

Good luck with your project.

See how a simple little idea turns into a major project?

Peabody

Last edited by peabody; 05-21-10 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-21-10, 03:04 PM   #7
fred8615
Saint of the seas

First of all I want let you know everything you told me before worked perfectly! Compared to trying figure out how to get then to work. everything else will be easy.

Quote:
I haven't tested with any Dynamic missions but that makes sense that it should work. You could run a little test mission to see what happens. I would think the first 'mission' could be a "follow them' type of thing. Maybe a huge "Patrol area" with a message to follow and maintain contact. Certainly not easy submerged, so do you move away and risk losing them? Hmmmmm....
Once the planes are launched then you get to play President....what do you do? It is a fact that the US fired the first shot in the Pacific war at a minisub outside the harbor entrance. But can you attack some ships "on a training mission"?
Yeah I figured a follow them and see what they're up to type thing (gonna be hard without radar, but I do know from prior experience they won't attack me until the 7th), or a "Thanks for the info, but we're not at war so who cares," one.

Quote:
Just a note on the "return to Pearl and shooting at the planes". You may get sunk and end your career right there. And a LOT of planes will lag the game terribly for most computers.
Still might fun though.

Quote:
Another thing to consider, Pearl has "Locations" that are actually the destroyed ships. If you plan to be in Pearl, that won't look right. You may want to replace them with actual Battleships and have the 'wrecks' appear later. They are in Campaign.LOC.mis, you could load it, delete the wrecks and save a new copy with a different filename and dates. Then have the original reload after Dec 7th.
That was actually going to be my next question. I've run into that problem starting in Pearl before. I usually start outside the harbor on a patrol, but there are those who like to start inside. I'll probably rig something up like you suggested. Thanks.

Quote:
Also, from another quote in your explaination.

Quote:
One other thing I'm hoping to do is include the PH attack in the game. The Jap task force is already modeled, so I thought about patrols north of Hawaii, where the sub might *accidentally* encounter it.
The attack force is in the game but it will not work right. (I don't think) I looked at it and the Task Force is where is belongs (about) in Nov 41 but they did NOT select "evolve from entry date" so it will not move prior to the starting date of the mission Dec 7.
So it will not be where it belongs. So if you want to use it, you will have to redo it. But you can not change the "evolve from entry date" without separating the "group", make the change and then 'regroup' them. I have also not tested to see if 'evolve from entry date' will work before the actual game starts. I know it works during the game, but I don't know if it will work at the beginning.
So set the starting date and have it evolve from entry date so it will move even before you start your mission to intercept it.

The way I would test it is this:
1. Correct the Pearl attack mission date and set to evolve from entry date and save it. You can test it in the mission editor using the play buttons, and time compress.
2. Create a NEW mission, then merge the Pearl Harbor attack mission, do NOT select to Merge as Saveable. You don't want to save it you want the game to load it. By merging it you will know exactly where they are and can position your sub in the exact spot it should be in. Make sure you zoom way in so you are not hundreds of miles away and think you are right on top of them. Once you have your sub in the proper location at the proper time, save it as a Single Mission and test it. Because the 'merged' mission is not set as saveable, you will only get your mission with your sub in it. The game will load the rest, we hope.
Since it's a lot more involved than I thought it would be, I'll probably just leave the PH attack for a later update. I'm going to have enough to do with writing and installing the new missions.

Once again, thanks for all the help. You're my new bestest friend!

Unless you need bail money. Then I don't know you.
Old 05-21-10, 04:01 PM   #8
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
First of all I want let you know everything you told me before worked perfectly! Compared to trying figure out how to get then to work. everything else will be easy.

Since it's a lot more involved than I thought it would be, I'll probably just leave the PH attack for a later update. I'm going to have enough to do with writing and installing the new missions.

Once again, thanks for all the help. You're my new bestest friend!

Unless you need bail money. Then I don't know you.
Actually fixing the ships sounds a lot more involved that it is. The only thing that will need to be added is planes. The task force goes where it should, just not WHEN it should but the only planes will be the normal "planes from a carrier." I think I might even have a corrected one here somewhere if I didn't throw it away. (no planes, just corrected dates). If not I think I can fix the stock fairly easy when I get a minute.

NO BAIL MONEY?? Nice guy. Don't get in trouble if you come to NY, I am a retired NY State Correction Officer.....I know people on the "INSIDE"..... They will fix you right up.

Peabody

Old 05-21-10, 04:30 PM   #9
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
NO BAIL MONEY?? Nice guy. Don't get in trouble if you come to NY, I am a retired NY State Correction Officer.....I know people on the "INSIDE"..... They will fix you right up.
All I have to say to that is,

The New Orleans Saints were undefeated against all three NY teams last year!

Two of them suffered their first loss playing the Saints.

Live with it!

Old 05-21-10, 05:55 PM   #10
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
All I have to say to that is,

The New Orleans Saints were undefeated against all three NY teams last year!

Two of them suffered their first loss playing the Saints.

Live with it!

I am personally not a NY fan when it come to football. I would much rather see the Saints win.

Peabody

Old 05-22-10, 10:01 AM   #11
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
I am personally not a NY fan when it come to football. I would much rather see the Saints win.
I knew deep down you were a good person.