SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-26-16, 01:35 PM   #1006
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I will not go through Google peeking at me.
Can I upload the compilations of MadMax and friends actually directly SubSim?
Old 05-26-16, 02:49 PM   #1007
XTBilly
Officer

Downloads: 157
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
FOTRS is also the most beautiful mod ever made for SH4. In appearance, it gives the flavor of GWX for SH4. So, we can take the damage mod from FOTRS v2.0 and copy it to v1.3 to get the best of both worlds? I'm up for doing that and posting the FOTRS Frankenstein mod to Subsim. Let me take inventory tonight and see if I have all the ingredients.

I'd love to breathe some life into this neglected but beautiful mod of Spanish origin.
Yes, it's quite easy. Just copy the v2.0 zones.cfg file from the \DATA folder to the data folder of v1.3 and overwrite when asked. The change on ships sinking is dramatic!

This file works also perfectly for stock, GFO, TMO 2.5, because none of these changes the original ship sinking zones in the \SEA folder. Any other changes like Websters' Ship Maneuvering fix also don't affect these zones so it's safe to use it. RFB with Observer's work on these zones is another matter.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to upload just the FOTRSv2.0 zones.cfg to Subsim, for people who don't want to download the whole v2.0 just for a few kilobytes of the zones file.

I also believe that this mod needs more attention. It was released prematurely with many bugs and it discouraged many players (including me) at its early stage. But at it's current state (1.3 for SH41.5) it's very stable and offers a great campaign!!

Cheers and thanks for your efforts!
XTBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 03:22 PM   #1008
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

It would be great also if somehow the ships that are in FOTRS v2.0 could also be transferred. Madmax did a lot of reworking of the Japanese warships on 2.0. It would be great if all those ships could be somehow incorporated into the other megamods.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 03:46 PM   #1009
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTBilly View Post
Yes, it's quite easy. Just copy the v2.0 zones.cfg file from the \DATA folder to the data folder of v1.3 and overwrite when asked. The change on ships sinking is dramatic!

This file works also perfectly for stock, GFO, TMO 2.5, because none of these changes the original ship sinking zones in the \SEA folder. Any other changes like Websters' Ship Maneuvering fix also don't affect these zones so it's safe to use it. RFB with Observer's work on these zones is another matter.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to upload just the FOTRSv2.0 zones.cfg to Subsim, for people who don't want to download the whole v2.0 just for a few kilobytes of the zones file.

I also believe that this mod needs more attention. It was released prematurely with many bugs and it discouraged many players (including me) at its early stage. But at it's current state (1.3 for SH41.5) it's very stable and offers a great campaign!!

Cheers and thanks for your efforts!
This is a good idea. FOTRS v13 had some problems with sounds; producing CTDs. You need to use some other sound mod (example: Pacific Sounds Mod). Also, FOTRS v13 never included the Vickers Interiors, but you can add all the interiors with JSGME without problems.

Another question is the use of OTC. I think with some work it would work, because FOTRS is based in TMO 17.

My own installation of FOTRS v13- mix with v2 - is a beauty; the standard FOTRS environment is the best for SH4; and is full of action. Because I play only with pigboats and Gatos, I don´t know how works the asignation of ships and equipment in campaign (TMO 25 has some problems). I use pigboats for the early war in the Asiatic Fleet and after transfer to Pearl with Gatos to the end of the war.

From v2 you can take the textures of ships and put them in V13. Also the zones.cfg, as told.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 04:00 PM   #1010
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
It would be great also if somehow the ships that are in FOTRS v2.0 could also be transferred. Madmax did a lot of reworking of the Japanese warships on 2.0. It would be great if all those ships could be somehow incorporated into the other megamods.
Oh hell yes - I would love that

Anything to increase the different types of ship I can sink

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 04:22 PM   #1011
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

I suppose that the thing to remember is that FOTRS v2.0 is geared for SH4 v1.4. I have no idea what would need to be done in order to make the files woke with v1.5 of SH4.

Besides I would dearly love to get a shot at the Akagi or the Kaga which happen to both be in FOTRS v2.0.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 06:29 PM   #1012
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
I suppose that the thing to remember is that FOTRS v2.0 is geared for SH4 v1.4. I have no idea what would need to be done in order to make the files woke with v1.5 of SH4.

Besides I would dearly love to get a shot at the Akagi or the Kaga which happen to both be in FOTRS v2.0.
See these links:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=202416

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=182617

I transferred ships from v2 to v13. And scripted the ships in the campaign. No problems.

Only is a lot of work...

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 06:50 PM   #1013
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleiente View Post
I will not go through Google peeking at me.
Can I upload the compilations of MadMax and friends actually directly SubSim?
It's too big. I may have problems FTPing to the Subsim site that might need Neal's intervention. I'm uploading v1.3 right now to see if it works right. It will take hours. Once I get that up then I'll look for v2.0 to upload that.

Then the plan is to mix and match with guidance from fitzcarraldo to get the soup good and tasty for the English 1.2 version with goodies from 2.0 and 1.3 added in. Unless someone thinks that using 1.3 as the base is good but it sounds like not enough works. I'm willing to mix in sound mods, whatever to make a single file download that works great.

FOTRS is just too good to let die. I really think that TMO 1.7, on which this is based was more fun to play than 2.5 and the different ships in FOTRS are absolutely beautiful.

All Google will do is assign you an advertisement number to which all their info is linked. Go to the Google site, log in and tell it to give you a new number. Shazaam! You're no longer tracked. I do it about once a month. At least Google, as opposed to Microsoft, lets you retain control of what information is collected and how it is used. I trust Google. Microsoft is slime. They think a close button means "go ahead and bomb me with Windows 10." I've bought my last Microsoft product.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 07:26 PM   #1014
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Okay, I have 1.2 and 1.3. Who's willing to log into a shared Google Drive folder to upload FOTRS v2 so I can FTP it to the Subsim download area for everyone to enjoy. Once all three versions live on Subsim, not as links to somewhere else, we'll launch the project of Ultimate FOTRS.

I'll need your e-mail address so I can assign you rights to edit the folder. You can make a disposable Google account and e-mail address for short term use, then delete them when we're done if you want.

It is amazing that people who use an operating system whose primary purpose is to serve targeted advertisements and collect your information for sale would have a problem with Google, who is up front about what they do and who give you control over your information. Half of the cynically named "start menu" in Windows 10 is targeted advertisement. The data they use is scraped from the Microsoft applications you are dumb enough to use. No one else does this and sinks so low in their predation on the customers who keep them in business. Rant over.
Old 05-26-16, 07:34 PM   #1015
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

56%. This is slow. I'll continue this tomorrow night. We'll just let this one finish for tonight.
Old 05-26-16, 09:21 PM   #1016
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

1.3 is uploaded. 1.2 is next. And I successfully found and downloaded 2.0. Enough for one night.
Old 05-26-16, 11:47 PM   #1017
XTBilly
Officer

Default The ultimate FOTRS!!!

Project ultimate FOTRS!

I really think that this can be done.

As Fitzcarraldo wrote, I also moved the new painted ships from 2.0 to 1.3 and they're showing great. Also the v2.0 new effects, explosions, smoke are also working without problem. The 2.0 radio messages too.

I had to delete the creaking sounds because after an hour or so with the S class at 260 feet I had a continuous ticking sound, like a clock. Problem solved.

About the way ships sink... I've been working lately on a project of my own.

Before many years I was really impressed with Werner Sobe's excellent NSM mod. Ships sinking ONLY by flooding, no hit points. Unfortunately SH4 v1.4 only...

Observer made an excellent ship sinking mod for RFB. Unfortunately it included only merchants and destroyers and was never published as a standalone mod.

Ducimus increased the ship sinking time X3 but ships still went down fast.
Then Bilge Rat had a different approach to the matter. Decrease the torpedo damage and tweak the ship floatability. The result was much better but as Ducimus pointed, the shared compartments created some problems. FOTRS v2.0 zones file gave me some new ideas on the matter.

I've tried to mess with the occult, that is creating/editing specific ship compartments as Werner Sobe and Observer did, but it all sounded Greek to me!! Studying the zones file and the changes made by the community, I've experimented and I'm getting much better results making changes on my own to the zones file and ship hit points. Its still WIP, but I'm thinking of releasing it when I'll get to an acceptable point as it is still too early.

FOTRS gave me new hope and I'm ready to help in anyway I can.
Old 05-26-16, 11:58 PM   #1018
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Where is MadMax, he could give the best information.
Tried FORTS relative upload Mega via Megaupload, but I can not issue a DL-Link ... I'm probably too stupid for that.
Old 05-27-16, 06:54 AM   #1019
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Thanks Bleiente, we have located all the files we need for now. Next step is to upload all these files to the Subsim downloads section so nobody's dependent on my work alone. Then we'll see what we can do about Ultimate FOTRS! I'll need everybody's help on this.

In my mind first we'll come up with JSGME modules for importing ships into FOTRS 1.2 or 1.3, whichever looks like the best base. My understanding was that 1.3 was never finished, but if it has definite advantages over 1.2 we'll just have to finish it as fitzcarraldo has. Then we'll import the juicy parts of 2.0 the same way. Once we have the multi-mod working we'll combine into a single Ultimate FOTRS mod.

So my idea (subject to change if somebody convinces me otherwise) is to start with FOTRS 1.2. Find things in 1.3 that are better. Make a JSGME mod to produce 1.2a. This will be best of 1.2 and 1.3. Then get the ships and whatever blows our skirts up from 2.0 and produce a JSGME mod to import them into 1.2a. Once we're satisfied with all the pieces, we'll combine them all together into a single mod, Ultimate FOTRS for SH4 1.5.

If MadMax resurrects, all this is subject to change. Acesofthedeep.com is closed down. It would be nice to have the originators on board, but it appears we're on our own to save FOTRS.

So fitz, do you think 1.3 would be the better base after grafting a sound mod and Vickers Interiors to it? Convince me that it's better than working from 1.2!

Project: could we pull the sounds out of 2.0 and graft them to 1.3?

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 05-27-16 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-27-16, 11:15 AM   #1020
XTBilly
Officer

There were several upgrades, carrier upgrades and many bug fixes in v1.2.
All these units, bug fixes and upgrades were incorporated into 1.3 with several other upgrades added.

As AOTD Mad Max writes himself in it's readme:

Version 1.3 is an complete new Mod.
All Upgrades, Bug fixes and Carrier-Upgrades must be disabled and the new V1.3-Version should be enabled !!!

Changes :

1.) Campaign

- Some Bugs are gone
- little bit more Harbor traffic
- more single merchants and small convoys
- more and stronger sub hunter groups
- less Japanese airplanes

2.) New Units

- IJN Akagi Carrier
- Whale chaser
- Akita II Class Freighter
- Old Fleet tanker
- Wheel steamer build by Rowi58
- reworked Equiped-Files of some Japanese DD´s ( more K-Guns in late war )
- all Ships heavy reworked ( Reflections on Water )

3.) New Japanese Weapons

Some Japanese Units got ship to ship Rockets from 1944.
Take care, they are very strong !!!

4.) Effects/Sound

- some new sounds and speech-files
- better graphics for explosions

5.) Other stuff

- resized dials for telegraph and diving gauges for better gameplay in small resolutions
- Ki-settings reworked

I think it's clear that 1.3 is a richer and much more stable platform to start working with, it was v1.2 with it's bugs that expelled me from FOTRS before many years, otherwise we (I'm unofficially considering myself a part of the team) should incorporate all of the previous changes Maddy mentioned into 1.2

About the sound of v1.3... The only changes I've made is to delete the 4 creaking sounds from the sound folder, as it caused a clock-like ticking sound when underwater for a long time, and change the amb_submarine_interior sound from Thomsen's SoundPack v3.2. These changes eliminated the ticking sound and I've had no crashes or unwanted side effects the past month or so.

This is just my opinion, not trying to force it or something

I'll test the v2.0 sounds tonight on 1.3

Billy, over & out.