SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-22-18, 05:58 PM   #31
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Ok, here a resume because I always play with Auto TDC:

Sorry to contradict Vecko the TWoS maker, but NO, it's not as he says that you just point and fire. That's enough to test a mod, but not enough to play the game...
The procedure is this (TWoS 2.2.6 and before):

a) If you want to identify the ship before you fire...(realistic, isn't it?)

First you must untick 'Manual TDC' in the game options (in the bunker for campaign; in main menu for single missions);
You have to switch to 'false' the value in the OFEV mentioned in the early post above;
You have to install an additional TWoS mod for the radio man and auto ID;

On periscope, you have to click on WO picture and turn off Auto TDC;
Then you have to click the Weapon officer (3rd icon from left), then 2 times the first icon in the dialogue from left; this will identify ship in manual TDC;
Then you change back to Auto TDC... next go to b).

b) If you want to fire immediately without ID the ship...

You lock target with space; you unlock target; you make the final aim with the mouse moving the periscope aiming mark for the final trajectory; you fire torpedo (before you flood the torpedo and set depth and detonation method).

As you can see it's far away and more complex than in SH3, and all but intuitive... and IMO it's worth a mention in the TWoS instructions, also considered that it's the 2nd time today that I have to write this HowTo so I guess people are interested :=)

Good hunting,

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-22-18 at 06:29 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-18, 10:31 PM   #32
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbysmiley View Post
Follow this tutorial http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=146

It tells you how to activate auto TDC in TWOS and how to use it. It is as simple as lock ship with space bar, unlock ship with space bar. Fire torpedo
OMG .. all you cry, babies . if you ever took the time to learn what is being offered in teaching you concepts would have a 70- 80 % hit rate, even 100% playing at that easy level. Play at 100 %, it will force you to play efficiently. I miss at times but I kill as well with a 70% kill rate without all the BS in an easy setting, guess you all gonna blame VDr, cause you can't hit ca-ca -- wake up, learn something . use the vids that are available .. quit crying

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-18, 10:37 PM   #33
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Just point and shoot...That's all. Torpedo solutions will adjust automatically...
I don't agree. use methods that are taught in videos in Manuel targeting, under the listing on youtube -- no wonder VDr you couldn't sink 4 ships at a 90 AOB in your video

Old 07-23-18, 01:10 AM   #34
Propnut17
Mate

Downloads: 68

Captain AJ, every Captain is immersed in SH5 at their own level of enjoyment. Some have time to allow hours of involvement and are prepared to enjoy their time at 100% realism. They make use of all the skills that an actual u-boat Captain would employ to ensure that the end result of firing a torpedo results in a successful sinking.

Then there are others like me, a retired person who cannot understand why my pensionable days don't have as many free hours as my working days allowed. No I do not play at 100% as sometimes I start SH5 while I sit down with a cup of tea and watch the monitor as my U-49 just cuts through the sea with the clouds floating by at TC x1. Times like this I use to reflect just what it must be like to have been a sub-mariner in a war far from home. The modern PC allows the graphic detail to be enjoyed to the fullest, so I do take full advantage of what is displayed, while I still have good vision.

My biggest enjoyment comes from successfully evading destroyers or sneaking into and out of Scapa Flow. So to the hundreds (thousands?) of Captains out there, each has their own level of commitment and enjoyment of SH5. There is a wealth of helpful information, suggestions and video's within this forum that may answer questions and situations that you may encounter and need answers to.

I still wish to successfully get to the end of the first Campaign, and that has been after years of trying. Every time that I have restarted back at the Polish episode, I do feel I am getting better as an armchair sub-mariner. I have been greeted by the officer in the bunker so many times now, you would expect him to be on first name terms with me by now.

Propnut17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 01:11 AM   #35
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_AJ View Post
OMG .. all you cry, babies . if you ever took the time to learn what is being offered in teaching you concepts would have a 70- 80 % hit rate, even 100% playing at that easy level. Play at 100 %, it will force you to play efficiently. I miss at times but I kill as well with a 70% kill rate without all the BS in an easy setting, guess you all gonna blame VDr, cause you can't hit ca-ca -- wake up, learn something . use the vids that are available .. quit crying
I'd really like to know who yanked your friggin chain. Nobody is crying fool, they are just asking for help. Why don't you keep your comments to yourself and stop butting in to what basically amounts to another conversation unless of course you have something constructive to add but I doubt it.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 06:24 AM   #36
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

So guys, you are saying that auto targeting as seen in this video, with self adjusting firing solutions when ship is in sight and without any need for target marking/locking or OFEV tinkering, works only for me and no one else? Did I understand that right?

vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 06:35 AM   #37
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
So guys, you are saying that auto targeting as seen in this video, with self adjusting firing solutions when ship is in sight and without any need for target marking/locking or OFEV tinkering, works only for me and no one else? Did I understand that right?

First, in your video you are so close to enemy that you don't need to ID the ship, you can use eyeball with its flag. So you can skip my a) above.

I don't know what you do exactly in your video (I did watch it in the past), but if you simply point and fire then you have no control about WHERE on the ship your torpedo will hit, it will always hit dead center. If I fire 2-3 torpedos I don't like them hitting at the same place.

If you watch the dials, you will see that the numbers are only updated if you unlock the target after locking it. So the right sequence is not point-and-fire, but lock target/unlock target/aim/fire.
By no way will a beginner of the SH series figure this out by himself! But yes, by following your method he will at least hit the target and doesn't need to 'lead the aim' for a precise location hit.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-23-18 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-23-18, 07:01 AM   #38
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
First, in your video you are so close to enemy that you don't need to ID the ship, you can use eyeball with its flag. So you can skip my a) above.
That's completely irrelevant here. With auto targeting, the target only has to be within "detectable" range of visual sensor which is placed on top of periscope mast. The range will of course depend of visual conditions...

Quote:
If you watch the dials, you will see that the numbers are only updated if you unlock the target after locking it. So the right sequence is not point-and-fire, but lock target/unlock target/aim/fire.
What do you mean by that? You can clearly see in the video that I am not locking or marking anything (I don't use keyboard at all) and that TDC dials are "self adjusted" every time I point the periscope on a different target...
I'm not sure that we understand each other here...
Old 07-23-18, 07:20 AM   #39
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
That's completely irrelevant here.
But Vecko please...If you play the game (instead of mod testing) you want to identify the ship first, right? Here it's not necessary, but above I explain how, in case a beginner wants to do it. They asked questions...

Quote:
What do you mean by that? You can clearly see in the video that I am not locking or marking
Yes right, you don't do it, but I would suggest you load the test mission and do it. Then you will see what I mean. You will see that you can aim precisely your torpedo to hit a specific location of the ship, that's way more interesting than your 'arcade shooting' that always hits dead center. It requires at least a minimum of effort and skillness - and no, it will not work everytime

Your video method works, but I think it's NOT what the 'play-it-easy' kind of player wants. He wants a minimum of challenge. And if he doesn't succeed with your method , humm... , then he should play pacman instead.

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-23-18 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-23-18, 07:44 AM   #40
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
You will see that you can aim precisely your torpedo to hit a specific location of the ship, that's way more interesting than your 'arcade shooting' that always hits dead center. It requires at least a minimum of effort and skillness - and no, it will not work everytime
Which exactly is the case in my video as well but it can not be seen since I don't use TAI map and torpedo solution lines...

Oh boy, nevermind...I don't think that I'll ever be able to understand what is so difficult regarding auto TDC in modded SH5, I have to admit that...

Cheers!

Last edited by vdr1981; 07-23-18 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-23-18, 07:57 AM   #41
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Which exactly is the case in my video as well but it can not be seen since I don't use TAI map and torpedo solution lines...

Oh boy, newer mind...I don't think that I'll ever be able to understand what is so difficult regarding auto TDC in modded SH5, I have to admit that...

Cheers!

Yes, now I understand you better: It's because in your method, the dials don't change value, instead if you lock/unlock target the dials visibly *change* value.

I understand now that your video method is the same as lock/unlock
Old 07-23-18, 10:36 AM   #42
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propnut17 View Post
Captain AJ, every Captain is immersed in SH5 at their own level of enjoyment. Some have time to allow hours of involvement and are prepared to enjoy their time at 100% realism. They make use of all the skills that an actual u-boat Captain would employ to ensure that the end result of firing a torpedo results in a successful sinking.

Then there are others like me, a retired person who cannot understand why my pensionable days don't have as many free hours as my working days allowed. No I do not play at 100% as sometimes I start SH5 while I sit down with a cup of tea and watch the monitor as my U-49 just cuts through the sea with the clouds floating by at TC x1. Times like this I use to reflect just what it must be like to have been a sub-mariner in a war far from home. The modern PC allows the graphic detail to be enjoyed to the fullest, so I do take full advantage of what is displayed, while I still have good vision.

My biggest enjoyment comes from successfully evading destroyers or sneaking into and out of Scapa Flow. So to the hundreds (thousands?) of Captains out there, each has their own level of commitment and enjoyment of SH5. There is a wealth of helpful information, suggestions and video's within this forum that may answer questions and situations that you may encounter and need answers to.

I still wish to successfully get to the end of the first Campaign, and that has been after years of trying. Every time that I have restarted back at the Polish episode, I do feel I am getting better as an armchair sub-mariner. I have been greeted by the officer in the bunker so many times now, you would expect him to be on first name terms with me by now.

Awesome Reply PropNut. Yes, campaigns in Sh5 do take longer. ever used Silentotto to unlock other campaigns?

Old 07-23-18, 10:41 AM   #43
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Default Some turtorials concerning Manuel targeting &attack plot method

Attack plot method ...............

How to hydro hunt .. Used In sh3 but also good for SH5

Real Navigation ....

Last edited by Captain_AJ; 07-23-18 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-23-18, 11:13 AM   #44
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Default Also Bdu gives you a contact report what to do !!

two methods

2.http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=88961

revised but the concept is the same

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...ght=claren%27s

enjoy all

Old 07-23-18, 06:24 PM   #45
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 348

Default Forget Auto TDC

The thing with using Manual TDC is there are a lot of options for the various calculations needed for the firing solutions. Watching video tutorials is a good way to learn but it needs to take this into account

Some methods need more practise some look more complicated than they actually are

For a beginner it is probably best to just focus on 1 aspect at a time watching a lot of video tutorials can be overwhelming and can give a false impression as to the complexity of using Manual TDC

Anyone trying out any of the SH series has options as to how steep they want the learning curve to be. Thing like getting the hang of the RAOBF disc can be done after learning the basics which have not really changed since the early versions of SH and the modded version of SH5 is not necessarily more difficult to pick up than the Vanilla

I really cannot see much value in learning how SH should be done by starting with Auto TDC very little can be learnt and passed over other than maybe just getting used to keybindings and controlling the sub

The whole concept of Silent Hunter is that it is a Sim, it is designed that way the only reason there is an option for Auto TDC is to drag in a few more sales for anyone who wants to invest zero time learning how it should be done and they are in a tiny minority

Bluntly put Silent Hunter is simply not for the impatient but it does not need a Diploma in Advanced Mathematics either. Making Mistakes and missing targets at first are all part of the learning process

With the right approach it is easy to take onboard all that is needed for a very mentally Stimulating Rewarding and Satisfying SubSim

The argument that there needs to be an easy version for beginners is in my opinion very weak unnecessary and to a degree futile. Get a Pen and paper make some notes as you go on and its easy to pick up including the more advanced features