Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-18-18, 12:12 PM   #1
JCWolf
Admiral

Downloads: 199
Uploads: 1
radar SH5 With TWOS Doubts

Hi there guys,

Have been playing for the last week SH5, thought I played SH III for around 5 years and even Modded some stuff in it I thought This new (More Recent) SH V would be similar in Play style, and in certain points it is almost the same.
In the minute I tested it after install I saw that some stuff in my opinion are in fact better , things like graphics, game play so without further testings I went on looking for Mods, Finally at my own cost and errors I understood that TWOS was the best install over any fresh install of SH V, so I did downloaded and installed it and with a couple of additions more , like gramophone music among other small mods that I saw would not change TWOS main files I started a new campaign and game.

My Load order

Fresh install of SH5
TWOS Mod

TWoS Campaign Start_Type VIIB
TWoS Campaign Advance Verifier Testing
TWoS FX_Incr. Flooding via Zones
TWoS Harbors Chimney Smoke
TWoS Map Contact Colors
TWoS SM Interior_Food Stocks
TWoS SV Interior QR1 QR2 Rooms
TWoS UI cmd_Radio Reports_Auto Target ID
German U-Boat Internal Routine SFX
TWoS Neutrals Illuminated Only_Until [Date]
MadMaxs_SH5_Subdiesel (mono) v2
MightyFine Less Annoying Footsteps 1.0
Binoculars with bearing by Torpedo v1
Stormys DBSM SH5 v1.3 Basemod
Stormys DBSM SH5 v1.3 additional crew sounds beta6
Anti-Lag
Messervy_s_gramophone_pack1
Popular German Music From The 30´s

How ever not without during my first patrol finding some huge differences and even things that I see are changed for the worst, I am not saying that they are bad just saying that for my play style they are for me changed for worst then on previous SH III game (Never played the others after SH III)...I am naming and pin pointing my opinion and if someone knows or see that I am doing something wrong please tell me...

Things I see that are not ok...

Enemy detection levels

This is a very relevant problem for me at least as it is part of a bigger problem this would be point a of a problem that I will name after this 2 points a and b...

Point a - I mean, you can not even in the 1939 game start get closer to a Warship what ever small or big it might be, best is to wait for night and try out to get close enough before going to Periscope depth, if it is like this at 1939 I can only imagine how it will be in the next years of this campaign , I tried a lot of different strategy's to try to get closer enough to be able to have at least a chance of making a good shooting spot for my torpedoes...None was effective to the point of at last trying to calculate myself the possible impact zone and place were the torpedo would be and hit...Point b next its important to understand why I say this is absurd and that enemy detection is in fact to high for this time and year 1939...

Point B - Now we come to the part that I think it is so different from SH III and that for me makes any closing to enemy factor completely unrealistic and even almost impossible without , with the factor for point a , being detected as closer as 3000 meters ...I am talking about this image here...

...the so called torpedo solution line that you can make visible on the TAI and NAV Map in their own options button.... Guys...first the line its ok but apparently sometimes it gets stuck on a direction even if you have no locked enemy ships and you scopes and TDC in their 0 direction pointed it gets their for the amount of time he wants until for some reason it finally fixes himself cause he wants... Then you have the really annoying thing for me in this all thing the torpedo numbers that I think ( correct me if I am wrong) represent the distance the torpedo will be given your U-Boot current speed and its own speed...Now my thoughts on this...

....Either I am missing something or this is really the worst game implementation I ever saw in this SH series....I mean take in consideration the first point a and connect it with this second point b and all you need now its a huge amount of luck to be close enough without being detected to the mark of the torpedo number 3 be in the correct distance that will collide with the enemy ship mark 3 and there having the perfect alignment for a shoot , cause first Luck to be in the right spot of the enemy ship course that will get you at that amazing distance and then cause of that you can disconnect engines to reduce detection but the be careful with your ATT periscope or OBSERV. periscope cause the eagle eyed ship watcher will detect those in the moment you have the 5 fingers out of the bloody ocean....

This my opinion on this torpedo distances and the darn Solution on the map,
I do not even understand why this numbers cause if you check the info on the torpedoes you will see that they reach far greater distance then that on those numbers that are closer to 1000 meters of distance ...

Some info...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...oes_of_Germany

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G7a_torpedo

....This my points of surprise for this game...and for me its a factor that takes me the joy of playing it some times...My point is how do you get closer taking all this things in account??

Why making this in such a unrealistic way ???

And if this is at 1939 War start imagine how it will be in latter War years..??!!

If in fact I am doing all wrong please tell me but I think I am not to far from this things...something is wrong in this numbers and for sure the darn torpedo solution line and numbers are just incorrect in my opinion..

Another issue that I find with this file from TWOS

TWoS Campaign Advance Verifier Testing

I have installed this since I read in the game manual that would prevent campaign save game bad saves...
But its very annoying since in every loading I have to return numerous times to main menu to reload after reload until the darn thing recons the good save file and campaign...
Is this really necessary to have installed ???
Cause some times I reload the dam save 7 or 8 times until finally it decides to let me play the game where I left it !

Salutes

JCWolf Mediafire SHIII Page

User name : JCWolf
Password : stefre@jcm
JCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-18, 12:56 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Nice to hear you again, JCWolf,

For the Stormy DBSM mod I currently have some problems, but not related to TWoS, I hope you have modified it as I PM'd you, otherwise there will be problems in your setup, not everything may work as intended, Stormy's mod is NOT compatible with TWoS but my adaptation should work fine (taking out the file sh.sdl in the Sound folder and taking out the new keyboard commands).

How is it that the '3-circles-method' for torpedo firing is showing in your picture? Have you changed it in the OFEV? I'm not sure this will work as intended in TWoS. If you want a 'simple' and easy method to fire torpedos then you need to play without Real Navigation and set the last XOTDC tab entry in the OFEV as 'False'. In addition you must deactivate 'Manual TDC' in the in-game options. You will then play with Auto TDC. You should then get a yellow line for the torpedo line instead of these numbers. To fire in Auto TDC, lock the target (Space) and unlock it again; this will feed the TDC data automatically and you can fire.

I'll continue to read your post, if I have answers I'll feedback.

Cheers,
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-18, 01:52 PM   #3
JCWolf
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Nice to hear you again, JCWolf,

For the Stormy DBSM mod I currently have some problems, but not related to TWoS, I hope you have modified it as I PM'd you, otherwise there will be problems in your setup, not everything may work as intended, Stormy's mod is NOT compatible with TWoS but my adaptation should work fine (taking out the file sh.sdl in the Sound folder and taking out the new keyboard commands).

How is it that the '3-circles-method' for torpedo firing is showing in your picture? Have you changed it in the OFEV? I'm not sure this will work as intended in TWoS. If you want a 'simple' and easy method to fire torpedos then you need to play without Real Navigation and set the last XOTDC tab entry in the OFEV as 'False'. In addition you must deactivate 'Manual TDC' in the in-game options. You will then play with Auto TDC. You should then get a yellow line for the torpedo line instead of these numbers. To fire in Auto TDC, lock the target (Space) and unlock it again; this will feed the TDC data automatically and you can fire.

I'll continue to read your post, if I have answers I'll feedback.

Cheers,

Hi matey..

Those circles are in the TAI and Nav Map options and I will check those things you say and add them correctly....but they are from the maps options so its from TWOS as well...I do not have real navigation Mod installed...As for the DBSM sound files I did tweaked it according your PM..

Old 07-18-18, 02:42 PM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Humm... I'm just asking in case you forgot: You say

Fresh install of SH5
TWOS Mod

You did update the game to v.1.2.0 between the 2 steps , right?
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-18, 02:49 PM   #5
JCWolf
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Humm... I'm just asking in case you forgot: You say

Fresh install of SH5
TWOS Mod

You did update the game to v.1.2.0 between the 2 steps , right?
The install is made by Ubisoft launcher , it installs the game no CD...after I launched the game to check version and was 1.2.0 already so it was ok...
After installed TWOS, after in install ending it pop out Patch generator , followed every indication on the TWOS install pdf...then installed wanted TWOS optionals...and after the mods you see on the first post none touches the TWOS files ...

Old 07-18-18, 04:50 PM   #6
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi JC
3 circles not necessary for auto targeting
Post #146 Auto TDC Targeting Without Using 3 Circles > Pictorial > Missing pictures replaced
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-18, 07:21 AM   #7
JCWolf
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post

Thanks that fixes my doubts and thoughts on this all thing...just done everything by the book in my options viewer file !

As for the SH GUI I have a question the SH III Gui options is it the same exactly as in SHIII is there some pics one can see it in SH5 with that gui option ...I do not like very much the modern style of the default one actually...so my doubts go if it works exactly as in SH III or not ..cause once we change we can not revert as I understand...

Old 07-19-18, 07:30 AM   #8
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWolf View Post
cause once we change we can not revert as I understand...
That's not true. You can change your GUI style anytime you like. Here's how it looks..

Last edited by vdr1981; 07-19-18 at 07:53 AM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-18, 08:06 AM   #9
JCWolf
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
That's not true. You can change your GUI style anytime you like. Here's how it looks..

Thanks gona change it that one is much more realistic..If one can say that ...

Old 07-19-18, 08:48 AM   #10
JCWolf
Admiral

Sorry about the doble post ,

anyone haves an idea why this is missing the CPT image or where to change it ???

Forget it found the reply here !

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=6048

Last edited by JCWolf; 07-19-18 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-19-18, 10:54 AM   #11
THEBERBSTER

Hi JC
If in doubt check it out > my SH5 tutorials are full of surprises.
How To Use The Enigma Machine In The Wolves Of Steel Tutorial > YouTube Tutorial By Potus

Peter
Old 02-08-19, 09:06 AM   #12
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

Quick question, why do you not use real navigation and full manual tdc? They are the great things of TWOS
Old 02-08-19, 01:56 PM   #13
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

I agree with Ashikaga. TWoS is s great mega mod. It was designed for the realism player! In my opinion, if you need to play with assistance or help, stick with the king... SH3.

Reading your posts JC, it sounds like you just need some more TWoS experience.

As far as enemy detection... some DD are great others stupid. I know it’s only 1939 but these were still military vessels and if we drive our boat haphazardly, we still risk being seen. I can tell you this, they can spot you easy, but can’t hit the ocean with depth charges if they had three tries! I literally just wrote a topic here about this! Funny how small the world is!
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 06:31 AM   #14
THEBERBSTER

Hi Guys
Sorry but I am going to disagree.
I have played 100% realism for many years but AUTO TDC without the 3 circles + Manual targeting with TWoS is an ideal setup and of course 100% ctd free.

There are many options that can be used depending how you setup your game by using the Game Play Setting Options from the main menu and TDW's OFEV.

In my current game I always have the option to use Manual or Auto TDC with the Real Navigation Mod is disabled.

Current Mod List using silentotto im Western Approaches no career

TWoS DeckGun Friendly Waves
TWoS FX_Reduc. Fires and Expl._Incr. Flooding via Zones
TWoS Glass Covered GUI Dials
TWoS Harbors Chimney Smoke
TWoS Neutrals Illuminated Only_Until [Date]
TWoS SV Interior QR1 QR2 Rooms
TWoS UI cmd_Auto Target ID
TWOS restore captain's icon 4 by JCWolf
Binoculars with bearing by Torpedo v1
Critical hits v 1.2
DeckKannon
GramophoneShuffler
MightyFine Crew Mod 1.2.1 Stock faces
one ship, one torpedo v1.00
Unscratched Optics for Large Optics v1.4
Speech Recognition_MiTons_NewUI_Editon_v0.4.1_english
UMark Stock dds file
TWoS Map Contact Colors
gap - The SH5 EcoMod v0.2 - 1. Main mod
gap - The SH5 EcoMod v0.2 - 3. Season fine-tunings (only DynEnv and TWoS users)
gap - The SH5 EcoMod v0.2 - 4.a Full resolution tree textures
Church's SHV 1.01 Keyboard Commands v1.1

Peter

Last edited by THEBERBSTER; 02-09-19 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-10-19, 05:20 AM   #15
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

Aboutbyour captain restore mod, it does not seem to work in my games. Have it enabled but no imagebin the crew screen sadly.