SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-02-06, 07:08 PM   #16
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHuJa
Most of which aren't in DW
(Though that may be about submarines)
I tried slapping a fast scenario about Diaoyutai two days ago. That's when I found out it was too small for Sonalysts to bother putting it on the map...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
Cauldron is a good read and with the way the things are between the EU and the UK, not as fictional as you'd think.
A little too stereotyped though, methinks. French are arrogant and incompetant. Germans are good soldiers. And of course, nobody can be as good as the Americans...
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-06, 09:36 PM   #17
Deathblow
Captain

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot
- Debt of Honor
- Executive Orders
- The Bear and the Dragon
Its been awhile since I've read those books, and I've only half-read TBATD. I'll have to go back and look at the sub/ship scenes to remember what type of action there were. They probably would need to have a fair bit of naval engagement, not just tracking and posturing, to be a good campaign..... though a one or two mission recreation of the pivotal scenes of "The Hunt for Red October" might be interesting... :hmm:
Deathblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-06, 01:50 AM   #18
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

HfRO alone offers enough stuff for at least a good mini-campaign if not more.
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-06, 10:21 AM   #19
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1

I think the best way (or easier) to start a campaign is with a "small" conflict between two "minor" contries (not superpowers) that grows worst, many interests involved and finally the great powers enters the war on diferent sides.
Is hard to think on great powers engaging first.

The problem is again (sorry to insist), that there are too many countries avaiable tho choose, even only as computer controlled.

Another important factor is air supremacy. A hughe air power can compensate inferior navy, like China, but this limits the area of operations close to land areas (countries or islands)

I've though on conflicts like:

A very plausible conflict is just in Europe. Cyprus is a new member of EU, but part of the island is still under control of Turkey. On the other hand, Turkey (at least one part of) wants to enter in EU, but this will not be possible because Cyprus (maybe other countries) will void that untill the Turquish evacuates from their country.
Turkey is a very important U.S. allied due it's geographical position; on the past against Warsaw Pact, today with arab countries (Irak on fisrt place), so, in case of a Cyprus-Turkey conflict... wich side will choose every country? Will all EU members be on Cyprus side? What U.K. would do? Russia?
The final part of this campaign will have no problems with all the big countries involved, but the first... I will need countries as Turkey, Greece (not very friendly with Turkey historically), Spain (control of Gibraltar will be key), and so on...

Ucrania: what to say about this: Ucrania is turning to west countries (including proposal of being part of NATO), Russia still wants to control its old Soviet area. Ucrania controls part of Soviet naval, air and strategic missiles since USSR desintegration...
The problem: there is not Ucrania.

All of this can be partially reproduced because most of this countries have US, Russia or French material, but not all, and is not the same.
Old 05-05-06, 05:44 PM   #20
Deathblow
Captain

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHuJa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon
Russia ... trading ... for ... oil
I thought they had oil. Or at least gas, which they are exporting a lot of.
My impression is that they needed oil.... wasn't that their motivation when they invaded Iran for a short time... to acquire more oil to fuel their economy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus
Try Larry Bond's Cauldron. Very interesting and a plausible scenario between Europe vs US + Britain + Poland.
Wow is the EU that volatile a political climate? I'm just asking because I'm not really familiar with the political intricacies of European politics. :hmm:

So it sounds like we have a lot of good ideas here. Should keep imaginations busy for a while at least.

*goes to comtemplate Middle East centered conflicts and possible naval involvement*
Deathblow is offline   Reply With Quote