Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 05-27-08, 07:43 AM   #1
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default X-Plane, worth it?

Is X-Plane 9.0 worth getting vs FSX?
Old 05-27-08, 08:21 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I do not know the two latest incarnations of both sims, but for past versions it was said that Xflight has the better flight model (dynamic formula-based, versus table-based for FS), while FS series has better support for the cockpit freaks who like to have to push a lot of buttons, managing avionics and computer stuff.

If you want to do airliners, you probably are better off with FS, if you prefer small sports aircraft and flight dynamics, check Xflight out.

BTW, one of the three or four best FS-heavybird-packages there are, the PMDG-747, has just been released today during the opening of the ILA. If these kind of flight tools are your thing, don't miss it (judging from FS9 experience). AFAIK such complex packages do not exist for Xplane. But again, I am not familiar with the latest incarnation. I also cannot judge the bug-status of the new module for FSX. On FS9 it is one of the best three or four.

Other recommended heavybird- modules are Level-D 767, Flight1 ATR-72, and Flight1 Super 80. especially the first two are beyond any criticism.

I cannot recommend the also often mentioned PMDG 737 modules (2 different ones available), which show their age, are frame-eating, and show some weaknesses where other modules illustrate how to do it better. It must be forgiven, maybe, since the first PMDG-737 was amongst the very first major releases for FS2004, but the original releases (download only) was a drama for itself (very buggy, causing a lot of anger amongst users).

If you are into small planes and flight dynamics EXCLUSIVELY (and only then), I remind you again of Condor, which dominates this segment completely regarding quality of flight dynamics.
Old 06-24-08, 03:39 PM   #3
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Got my copy today, a crossupgrade from FSX for 40€
The package contains 6 DVD's including the updated Global Scenery, formerly sold separately for prior versions of X-Plane.

The installation took about. 40 min. So far I have not tested much, the handling is a bit unusual even though I previously owned X-Plane in an earlier version. I will test more at the weekend but what I noticed first, X-Plane runs even at the highest settings smoother as FSX, it's optimized for Dual/Quad Core CPU's.

Screens of a C47 in flight over Vancouver
Old 06-24-08, 10:15 PM   #4
Ubergeek87
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeadler
X-Plane runs even at the highest settings smoother as FSX
What are your PC specs? I seem to be caught in a never ending battle to find the graphical sweet spot for x-plane.

Also, be sure to check out the x737 by Benedikt Stratmann and the Hughes 500D by Brett S if you haven't already. They are IMO two of the best aircraft for the sim, plus they're freeware.

It's probably a good idea to run a defrag after installing all that scenery too. It was 90%-100% fragmented for me.

If you're looking for other planes in the sky and good ATC, I highly recommend giving vatsim a try.
Ubergeek87 is offline   Reply With Quote