SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-19-15, 10:03 PM   #1
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Default Ship Names April 2015

It's been two years since I last added anything to my Ship Names mod. I've been busy with many other projects and I also got tired of doing work I'd never see, since my old computer wouldn't run IABL's Merchant Fleet Mod and I was doing more and more names for those ships.

I've had a new computer since Christmas, and I've been working toward playing SH3 with all the bells and whistles. I then discovered that I didn't like seeing ships listed with names like 'Medium Merchant 21'. I started going over my own working lists and culling names I thought would be appropriate. This new file contains a revised [CLASSMAP], so the 'X' version of each ship is tied to its 'A' or 'B' counterpart and will also get names when sunk.

I've also included a list of ships to be copied and pasted into the 'EnglishNames.cfg', which will make the new names show up in the Recognition Manual and the Patrol Reports. How to make it all work is included in the readme and on the Download page.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4671

Here are a couple of pictures of how it looks in-game:

WARNING: I cannot emphasize this enough - While the Ship Names file for SH3 Commander is perfectly safe, only taking effect as it does after the patrol is finished, do NOT change the names in the Sea folder while on patrol. I'm not 100% certain it's safe to do so at any time. It killed my career, which is okay because it was brand new. Then again I was at sea when I did it. Unless someone can verify that changing the EnglishNames.cfg is safe while in port, you do so at your own risk.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 04-19-15 at 10:08 PM.
Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-15, 10:38 PM   #2
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Thanks a lot for this! This ship list thing is something I really need to install and figure out how it works with LGN1's SH3 Log mod.

Do you mind if I use the ship names you have chosen in the recognition charts I have in my Charts Addon mod?
Old 04-19-15, 11:15 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Sure, no problem. I'm not sure how the two combine, but there are a whole world of things I don't understand.
Old 04-20-15, 12:20 AM   #4
Scout614
Bosun

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

Hey Steve,
I remember us talking bout this a while back. Did you change the armed trawlers to have the HMT prefix?
Scout614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-15, 06:33 AM   #5
Borgneface
Captain

Downloads: 657

Hello Sailor Steve;

Great I always appreciate your "Ship list"!
I am sure it is a long and fastidious work but result is just great.

Thanks again for all your effort & for sharing this with us.

Old 04-20-15, 08:28 AM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout614 View Post
Hey Steve,
I remember us talking bout this a while back. Did you change the armed trawlers to have the HMT prefix?
I just checked and no, I didn't. I'm fixing that in my master file right now, and should have it ready for the next update.
Old 04-22-15, 03:35 AM   #7
Fubar2Niner
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 275
Icon14

Many thanks Steve. A most welcome return of your ship names file

Fubar
Fubar2Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-15, 06:59 AM   #8
Steve Gad
Bosun

Downloads: 518

Obviously a lot of work has gone into this.
Thank you very much Steve.
Steve Gad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-15, 03:44 AM   #9
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413

I wanna try this stuff and have question about it.
If I understood correctly I should manually fix entries in EnglishName.cfg, replacing old names using new one from your readme.txt? For instance delete AK01A and copy and paste AK01A=Haskell Class Attack Transport from your ShipNames - is it correct procedure?
May I copy all entries from you in one block, paste them in EnglishName.cfg at the end of all data and after that delete all doubled listings from above? Or rather do it as described earlier - change manually one by one, delete old and paste new one?
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-15, 01:27 PM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxa View Post
I wanna try this stuff and have question about it.
If I understood correctly I should manually fix entries in EnglishName.cfg, replacing old names using new one from your readme.txt? For instance delete AK01A and copy and paste AK01A=Haskell Class Attack Transport from your ShipNames - is it correct procedure?
Yes, that is correct.

Quote:
May I copy all entries from you in one block, paste them in EnglishName.cfg at the end of all data and after that delete all doubled listings from above? Or rather do it as described earlier - change manually one by one, delete old and paste new one?
I thought I wrote it that way. If not, I apologize. But yes, what you describe is actually the easier way, and the one I recommend.
Old 07-10-15, 01:43 PM   #11
jaxa
The Old Man

Downloads: 413

Steve, thanks a lot for your explanation.
jaxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-15, 06:15 PM   #12
jakethescot
Engineer

Downloads: 904

Downloaded and installed. Everything looks good. Thanks, Steve.
Old 01-11-16, 04:42 PM   #13
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4
radar

Hello there.

It's been some time since i last posted here... though i still haven't quit playing SH3 (+GWX+OLC's Gold MkII+ a few other mods... he he.)

So, i use Sailor Steve's "Ship Names April 2015" mod and M02X came up in my recognition manual instead of a real type of ship like "Bamora Class Merchant" ,for example, matching the M02X type. I use IABL's mod v3.2. I have followed the instructions provided be Sailor Steve. By the way, under the [CLASSMAP] section of Ship names.cfg in my SH3Cmdr folder i read M02X=M02B.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan

Mods for SH3
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-16, 05:46 PM   #14
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfon View Post
Hello there.
Hi!

Quote:
So, i use Sailor Steve's "Ship Names April 2015" mod and M02X came up in my recognition manual instead of a real type of ship like "Bamora Class Merchant" ,for example, matching the M02X type. I use IABL's mod v3.2. I have followed the instructions provided be Sailor Steve.
I'm not sure what might have happened. Did you go through all the other listings and delete any other references to "MXXX" names? They might override the new ones.

Quote:
By the way, under the [CLASSMAP] section of Ship names.cfg in my SH3Cmdr folder i read M02X=M02B.
Those listings are directives for the game itself, telling the game what to do. That one tells the game to draw names from the M02B list when it sees M02X. The "Neutral" groups like M02X don't have their own names, but use the ones from the 'A' or 'B' listings.

[edit] Have you had any others not show up, like M01x or M09x? I ask because I notice that that while I have others listed I don't see a name for M02X.

Try this:

On my master list, after

M02B=Brandanger Class Merchant

I've added

M02X=Leonidas Class Merchant

You can copy and paste that second M02X to your own list and save it. I don't know if that will fix your problem, but it's worth a try.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 01-11-16 at 06:07 PM.
Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-16, 07:16 PM   #15
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

OK, first of all, thanks for the quick reply.

Now, i've added the Leonidas Class as you've advised me to do so. I updated my personnel files via SH3Cmdr but i didn't see any change ; it still shows us M02X. But this maybe due to the way SH3Cmdr works. It is probable that it will be displayed correctly next time i sink a M02X. I've gone through the listings of English Names.cfg. There is no other identical entry. Is there any other .cfg file i should check?

P.S. It is not a big deal if a type of ship doesn't show up correctly. Sorry to bother you. I was just curious to find out what happened. Too many mods, too many files altered. Sometimes it is easy to get carried away and mess (hopefully only) a few things up. I'm too tired to wait for the museum to load right now but i will check if it shows up correctly there, tomorrow. It is 02.16am here... Thanks, mate.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan

Mods for SH3
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote