SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-10-09, 04:34 AM   #1
amerelium
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default ocean colour

Can anyone give me a tip as to how to get the ocean a bit more blue. It's a little black for my taste...
amerelium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 09:46 AM   #2
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

To play with the water, you need the "Ocean Advanced Display Options" box. While this is available on the main menu, it's best to start a battle so you can see the effects of the sliders as you move them. Also, be aware that you'll probably want to save different water settings for day and night battles, so when you start the scenario, pick one at the time of day you want to mess with.

So, start the scenario and pause it as soon as it's fully loaded. To bring up the "Ocean Advanced Display Options", mouse over the blank button in upper right corner of the screen. This will bring up a row of buttons going to the left. Mouse over to the left-most button (looks like a bull's-eye) and column of buttons will appear below. The 3rd one down (looks like waves) is "Ocean Advanced Display Options". Click on that and a box of sliders will appear. Drag this box over to the side out of the way.

The sliders with the most effect on water color are the 1st one (Saturation) and 1st one under "Wave Settings" (Backlight Intensity). The further the Saturation is to the right, the bluer the water. The further Backlight Intensity is to the right, the brighter the water.

Once you get something you like, hit the SAVE button at the bottom of the slider box and enter a name. It's a good idea to include the words "Day" or "Night" in the name, as appropriate to the time you're working with, so you'll know which to load for a given battle. These files are saved as (the name you give it).ADO files in the main Jutland folder, so you can share them with friends if you want.

You don't really need to save a .ADO file because all your slider settings will get incorporated into the DG.cfg file, so they'll be there when you start the game up again. However, if you want different settings for different times of day and weather conditions, you'll want to save them all as .ADO files so you can load them as needed with just a few clicks (using the LOAD button at the bottom of the slider box).

You can also play with the lighting effects on the ships. This is done on the "Miscellaneous Advanced Display Options", which is the next button below the "Ocean Advanced Display Options" (looks like a snowflake). This also is part of the different saved .ADO files for day and night. The SAVE and LOAD buttons on this box apply to the same .ADO files as the "Ocean" box, so when you save/load a .ADO file, it actually includes all the settings in both boxes.

To make my night .ADO file, I started with my day .ADO file, then in the "Ocean" box I turned the Backlight Intensity way down, and in the "Miscellaneous" box I turned the Ambient Light Brightness up a little until I could see the ships weren't totally blacked out.

If this seems like too much work, you might want to try the preset .ADO files supplied with the game. You can load one of these with the "Load Preset Display Options" button (looks like 2 stars, right under the "Miscellaneous" button). There are 4 presets. #1 is the default with pretty dark blue/black water, which you see when you 1st get the game (Norm's). #2 is Jim's, with grayish blue water and better wave settings. #3 is the same only with smaller bulletholes and scorch marks on damaged ships (mine). #4 is also mine, and is #3 tweaked as noted above for use at night.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote