SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-25-08, 07:14 PM   #61
CaptHawkeye
Weps

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Well yeah it's small. Only the difference of about 2-3km or so because Brit shells are bigger, but only by an inch or so. Still, a few thousand meters of immunity is never a problem.

Last edited by CaptHawkeye; 12-25-08 at 07:14 PM.
CaptHawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 05:10 AM   #62
Ilpalazzo
Frogman

Downloads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1
The Duel and Red Sky at Morning don't have time limits in the demo

Anyway, are you playing as the British? The Germans can generally aim much better
Neat, gonna try Red Sky then.

I played as both. I almost won as the Germans one time but seemed to explode and lose instantly. I think it may have been a torpedo? I have been playing and winning as the British though. I just go straight to the german ship and, when close, I beat the hell outta them. I might try the Germans again, but it was annoying. For the most part the British AI just kept running from me and it became time consuming to chase them around the map. As the British, the German AI likes to come right at me. Works for me.
Ilpalazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-08, 10:01 AM   #63
CaptHawkeye
Weps

Explosions can and will happen to anyone during WW1. It just happens more frequently in British ships because of lax precautions in powder handling and storage.
Old 12-30-08, 06:25 PM   #64
smithcorp
Bosun

Downloads: 27

I threw together a Youtube video here:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=HobQfSiy7mU

smith
smithcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 09:35 PM   #65
Lagger123987
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 323
Uploads: 4

Jutland is an okay game, was hoping for more like Destroyer Command or Task Force 1942.

"Explosions can and will happen to anyone during WW1. It just happens more frequently in British ships because of lax precautions in powder handling and storage.", That's one of the reasons why the Hood exploded during its engagement with Bismarck?

Last edited by Lagger123987; 01-01-09 at 09:36 PM.
Lagger123987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 11:03 PM   #66
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger123987
"Explosions can and will happen to anyone during WW1. It just happens more frequently in British ships because of lax precautions in powder handling and storage.",

That's one of the reasons why the Hood exploded during its engagement with Bismarck?
I think that you are off by one war. Bismarck sank the Hood in WWII.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-09, 11:34 PM   #67
Lagger123987
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 323
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman
Quote:
"Explosions can and will happen to anyone during WW1. It just happens more frequently in British ships because of lax precautions in powder handling and storage.",

That's one of the reasons why the Hood exploded during its engagement with Bismarck?
Yeah I know, but Hood is an WWI-Post WWI BC, and do to the fact that they have lax precautions in powder handling and storage like what you said.
Old 01-01-09, 11:48 PM   #68
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman
Quote:

Yeah I know, but Hood is an WWI-Post WWI BC, and do to the fact that they have lax precautions in powder handling and storage like what you said.
Not exactly, Hood was sunk because of weak aft deck armor (Which she was about to get reinforced) and a fire that spread to the 15" magazines, another one of the problems with BCs

Last edited by Raptor1; 01-01-09 at 11:50 PM.
Raptor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 03:33 AM   #69
TheSatyr
Captain

Downloads: 0

What seems to be the accepted reasoning these days for the loss of the indefatigable,Queen Mary and Invincible is simply a real bad decision made by the Battle Cruiser Force. In general,the ships of the BCF had poor gunnery standards when it came to accuracy. Unlike the Grand Fleet they rarely did any gunnery practice. So they tried to make up for it by increasing their rate of fire,and they did that by throwing out all safety precautions. They left the magazine doors open,they stacked cordite and shells in and around the turrets and well,that is a disaster waiting to happen.

It wouldn't have mattered how thick the armor was on those BCs. Once a turret took a hit and the ammo and cordite cooked off,the flash fire would have an unblocked path to the magazine.

The only reason the Lion didn't blow up after Q turret took a hit was that the turret commander,even though mortally wounded,immediately ordered the magazine flooded. For that,he was awarded the postumous VC.

Last edited by TheSatyr; 01-02-09 at 03:35 AM.
TheSatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 03:51 AM   #70
TheSatyr
Captain

To this day I'll never understand why Beatty allowed the BCF to operate that way. But then I've always considered Beatty to be a mediocre Admiral who used the newspapers to build up a very undeserved reputation. After all,the BCF was involved in three battles and failed in all three. And each time Beatty found someone else to blame for it instead of his own incompetence.

England is fortunate that the HSF never came out to challenge the Grand Fleet while Beatty commanded the Grand Fleet. My gut feeling is that Beatty would have made a major mistake and the Grand Fleet would have ended up getting hammered.
Old 01-02-09, 04:00 AM   #71
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSatyr
To this day I'll never understand why Beatty allowed the BCF to operate that way. But then I've always considered Beatty to be a mediocre Admiral who used the newspapers to build up a very undeserved reputation. After all,the BCF was involved in three battles and failed in all three. And each time Beatty found someone else to blame for it instead of his own incompetence.

England is fortunate that the HSF never came out to challenge the Grand Fleet while Beatty commanded the Grand Fleet. My gut feeling is that Beatty would have made a major mistake and the Grand Fleet would have ended up getting hammered.
3 Battles and failed in all 3?

AFAIK the BCF engaged in Heligoland, Falklands (Even though not under Beatty), Dogger Bank, Jutland and HMS Repulse engaged 2 German BBs very briefly in the 2nd Battle of Heligoland Bight, all those battles except Jutland and 2nd Heligoland were British tactical victories
Old 01-02-09, 04:42 AM   #72
TheSatyr
Captain

Doggerbank was a failure as well. Due to Beatty's signals screwups,the BCF went after the Blucher instead of chasing down Hipper's BCs.

Even Beatty considered Heligoland Bight,Doggerbank and Jutland to be failures,but he blamed it all on his signal man.(Or on the Admiral in charge of the BCF's scouting force,or on his second in command,or on Jellicoe) Not on his poor choice of orders.

Admiral Sturdee was in command at the Falklands. The Invincible and inflexible were on detached duty so that does not count as a BCF action. And that was one of the few times where battlecruisers were used the way they were intended to be used.
Old 01-02-09, 02:23 PM   #73
CaptHawkeye
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSatyr
It depends on what you're blaming Beatty for really. He gets lots of flack for having 'bad communications' with forces, but that's a problem everyone had during the era. That's just what you get for using signal flags on dirty, smokey, distant dreadnoughts.

That being said, I actually agree that Beatty was a pretty spotty commander, but then again most national leadership during WW1 was pretty awful. I mean, they convienently setup the Royal Navy for piecemeal elimination by the HSF using those akward "Battlecruiser Squadrons".

Quote:
Probably not. No matter what the Kaiser thought the High Seas Fleet was never going to get it's day. After Jutland resources were diverted back to the German Army while Royal Navy only got bigger and bigger. Germany had...what, the 4 Bayern class BBs in production? While Britain had the Revenge and even more Queen Elizabeth classes on the way out with further designs on the drawing board. Beyond that, quality issues with Britain's ammunition had been fixed, and better safety standards meant that explosive British ships were much less frequent.

The end was nigh for Germany the moment Jellicoe crossed Sheer's T at Jutland. This left him with only 2 useless options, suicidally attack Jellicoe head on or try to run away.

Quote:
Doggerbank was a failure as well. Due to Beatty's signals screwups,the BCF went after the Blucher instead of chasing down Hipper's BCs.
I'm trying to say, is that really Beatty's fault? It's not like it was the first time that important orders had been missed or misunderstood during WW1. If anything blame should be laid on the Captain of HMS Tiger who failed to engage Moltke. Allowing the ship to inflict crippling damage on Lion which meant Beatty was unable to keep up with the line and continue giving orders. If Beatty was still able to participate in the battle does anyone here seriously think he would have just let his ships waste time with Blucher?

Last edited by CaptHawkeye; 01-02-09 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-05-09, 09:14 PM   #74
Bis71
Gunner

Downloads: 2

My review:

gamesquad.com/index.php?option=com_articles&id=8&pform=&aid=210
Old 01-06-09, 01:13 PM   #75
CaptHawkeye
Weps

A con i'd list the game with is "poor wide scale unit control". The devs still haven't implemented a way to control huge specified formations simply. From the looks of it, they don't intend to either. They just want you to issue individual headings to every formation in your fleet.