SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-14-09, 06:07 PM   #1
TheSamuraiJedi
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Suggestion thread: Updates and upgrades?

Let me start by saying that I cannot fully express my gratitude to SES for producing a new, modern big gun simulation to replace the aging Fighting Steel.

Now, alot of games have seen massive upgrades and such via third party support (GWX for SH3 comes to mind, along with Trigger Maru for SH4). What I was thinking is that since SES has a presence here and clearly is interested in community feedback that we provide just that.

I wanted to create this thread not as a means to become selfish or rag on SES, since the "questions flames and gripes" thread is already stickied. This thread is mostly for community suggestions outside of technical problems to enhace Jutland in the future since its currently regularly being patched and updated.

I figure I will start it because ..well..I started the thread:

1: While its always either a thrill or a shock when a ship has a magazine explosion, depending on if its a ship you're firing at or firing with , it lacks a certain..violent trauma to it. Is there any way that an enhanced particle effect and structural damage could be combined with the event to show the effect and devistation of a magazine explosion?

2: As is stands now, from what I have observed, ships mostly sink on an even keel or close to it. Would it be possible to have a system that could include capsizing or other sinking positions?

Thats it for now..if allowed, please..everyone, join in! I apologise if I have stepped on any toes in the process.
TheSamuraiJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-09, 10:47 AM   #2
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSamuraiJedi
1: While its always either a thrill or a shock when a ship has a magazine explosion, depending on if its a ship you're firing at or firing with , it lacks a certain..violent trauma to it. Is there any way that an enhanced particle effect and structural damage could be combined with the event to show the effect and devistation of a magazine explosion?
Prior to release, we took some preliminary steps toward having ships break in half in magazine explosions. However, we didn't have time to finish the job. Since then, this hasn't been a high priority because really it's just eyecandy and we've had to patch some things with important gameplay effects. But maybe someday we'll get around to it. It is something we want to have in the game .

Quote:
2: As is stands now, from what I have observed, ships mostly sink on an even keel or close to it. Would it be possible to have a system that could include capsizing or other sinking positions?
Ships do capsize in Jutland. They just don't do this very often, and that's intentional. Ships in WW1 and later had much better compartmentization, counterflooding arrangements, etc., than they had before. It's more common instead to see them go down end-first.

This is a deliberate change from our RJW game, where capsizing is extremely common. This was a big problem with predreadnoughts, due to most of them having centerline bulkheads that isolated lots of flooding on 1 side, and not enough pumping and counterflooding capabilities to do much about it.

Quote:
Thats it for now..if allowed, please..everyone, join in! I apologise if I have stepped on any toes in the process.
Don't be bashful. SES welcomes customer input. We might not always agree with it, or implement all suggestions, but there are quite a few things in our games that came from forum suggestions.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote