SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-22-18, 03:39 PM   #1
Sephiroth
Seaman

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Support Steam version not displaying things...

I have the original release of SH3 on DVD but but it for Steam when it was on sale. I installed the Steam version to avoid using my DVD. The thing is, a LOT of stuff is broken on the Steam version it seems. This is NOT a Windows 7 issue, as I have Windows 7 on my laptop and my DVD copy is installed there with the Starforce crap removed, and running the same setup, and it runs fine. My issues are that a lot of the function keys do nothing. For example, F10 does not take me to the deck gun. More disturbing however, is the blank map. I am playing with most realism settings on. I leave external view enabled for screenshots, for example. The thing is, even when locked onto a ship in my periscope, it does not appear on my map. Nor do the lines indicating the direction of ships based on sonar. Not sure what's going on, but I cannot play if I cannot see anything except through the periscope or when surfaced. I do have the god's-eye map disabled, but I literally NEVER get anything on my map!

Is there a way to fix this or is the Steam version ruined?
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-18, 06:35 PM   #2
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The problem with not seeing contacts and sonar lines, etc, is most likely the fact you have turned off the god's-eye view in the realism section before beginning a mission.

With god's-eye view unchecked and thus ON, you'll see all the contacts, etc.

With god's-eye view checked and thus OFF, you'll not see any contacts, lines, etc. This way the game plays more realistic because you have to use the map tools to estimate the contact's map location.

Last edited by von Zelda; 09-24-18 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-23-18, 10:38 AM   #3
Sephiroth
Seaman

I understand that, but on my DVD install, with god's-eye view disabled it works like this. Nothing is shown on my map but me and radio reports from other boats, which fade over time. When I close in on an enemy and lock onto it using the UZO or periscope, that one vessel appears on my maps while I am locked onto it OR while I am close enough to be within visual range.

The sonar normally doesn't show anything either, unless I am close enough. If I get close enough that my sonar guy can hear a surface vessel, a line is drawn from my boat on the map extending in the general direction of the vessel. This line is drawn once per rotation of the sonar. If the sonar does not hear it on a rotation, the line disappears.

Again, with the EXACT SAME SETTINGS on my DVD install versus the Steam version, same difficulty, everything, the two installs are working entirely differently. It would be like buying two identical cars. Turning the key in one starts it up, but turning the key in the other does nothing. I've been playing since SH3 came out and what I described above is how it always worked for me and still does using the DVD game. It does NOT work this way in Steam. This is what I am trying to fix.
Old 09-23-18, 03:23 PM   #4
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Sep,

I began with the basic SH3 in 2005 along with mods & upgrades to GWX & GWX Gold when in 2010 my beloved XP laptop died and my new windows 7 laptop would not play SH3. Mad, I threw away my original Starforce DVD along with all my saved downloads of GWX and mods. I wish I hadn't! I mention this because there were many variations along the way.

Very recently, I became aware of the Steam version that plays on my window 7 laptop. It's not GWX by any means and the canal from Kiel to the North Sea is missing just like the original SH3 but I'm happy just to have it to play.

(edit) My Steam version does not play as you described; sounds like yours has some issues.

Its been 5 years without and I'm thrilled that I again have one to play. Note, I've been able to add a few basic non-GWX mods to the Steam version without a problem.

Last edited by von Zelda; 09-24-18 at 05:57 AM.
Old 09-23-18, 09:55 PM   #5
Sephiroth
Seaman

The DVD is original, complete with Starforce, which I crack to save my hardware. I then patch it to 1.4b, same as Steam version. You can also mod the Steam version.
Old 09-24-18, 05:43 AM   #6
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

My Steam version on a windows 7 laptop plays great.

Since yours has problems, I'd uninstall the Steam version. Completely remove the Silent Hunter 3 folder from Steam's "Common" folder, and the SH3 folder from "My Documents" if you think there's a problem there.

Use a program like "Crap Cleaner" and then reinstall SH3 from your Steam account. Open SH3 one time, open one of the tutorials to see if it plays Ok and then shut SH3 down. Log out of Steam so it will update and go through its verification thing. Then, install SH3 Commander 3.2 outside of Steam. Make sure you set SH3 Commander to Roll Back files after every log out. There's a box to check on its first page of options. Log back into Steam and open Silent Hunter with SH3 Commander to see if it works properly.

I've gone one step further and placed the Generic Mod Enabler within Steam's Silent Hunter 3 folder; executed the Generic Mod Enabler so that it creates a "MOD" folder and a desk top icon. I've place a few older, non-GWX mods into the MOD folder and they work fine.

Sorry for the long-winded reply. You may know all of this and you may have done all of these things. I've just recently done the above in order to get the Steam version to play like I like it. Hope this is helpful, good luck.

Last edited by von Zelda; 09-24-18 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-24-18, 01:07 PM   #7
Sephiroth
Seaman

I do IT for a living. No way in heck would I ever use ANY of those system-breaking tools like CCleaner. My company has done loads of testing with these tools, and even on a fresh install without even drivers installed, it wants to delete registry settings. Bad tool!

I did just compare. The Steam version is indeed broken. DVD version updated to 1.4b with GWX, same as Steam. Both have identical settings. Steam version does not use function keys like F10, DVD does. Steam version shows nothing on map at all, ever. DVD version does when the correct conditions are met. based upon this, despite the Steam version claiming to be 1.4b, I believe it is an undocumented 1.4c or 1.5. They did SOMETHING to the Steam version which breaks things. The odd thing is that the DVD version works flawlessly even when run from Steam so I can use the overlay. In other words, the original release we all played work with or without Steam, but the Steam version doesn't. Strange.