SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Ironclads
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-06-08, 07:50 PM   #46
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
I have played the demo extensively - and I admit - monkeyed around a bit with the ships. *Side note - don't do this much - it has a tendency to crash the game when some things are "outside" the lines - and I haven't learned what that is yet...*

Movement speed isnt going to always be maxed out for a couple of reasons. Yes, at medium speed you have the greater maneuverability, but what if your running to get side by side with your target - your going flat out - and suddenly he kicks down his speed? You will get one passing shot at him - granted a full broadside if you have the guns - but then you have to turn and circle around him. In that time he is back at full speed and running hard away from you. If he has close to your speed, he is likely running toward friends - meaning you now have a long haul to catch him, and when you do - he will likely have some help. Its better to be a little slower so you can just pull up beside your target at the end of your movement - then use speed to keep your position and pound on him.

As for damage - yes - it does have alot going on that you dont see. I took a frigate alongside another and got in point blank (94%) shots - a total of 16 on the broadside. My enemy was gunned similiar to me, and only could respond with 5 shots - so I took out 11 of his guns - at least temporarily. I don't know if the game allows for repairs, etc.

I too am looking forward to seeing how the game plays when it is fully fleshed out!

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 03:33 AM   #47
Maxim
Totem Games

Downloads: 0

Time in game.

Duration of one round in game meets to 5 minutes of real time. That is within the limits of one round the ship can make actions limited in real time five minutes.

The sizes and distances.

All the sizes long in game have scale 1:1. For example, distance between the ship in group (column) of 185 meters.

Speed and maneuverability.

All the ships in game have identical speed of animation of movement. The player sees increase in speed of the ship on increase in distance which can pass the ship within the limits of a round. At speed in 5 knots the ship can move on 771 meter within the limits of one round. At speed in 10 knots the ship can move on 1542 meters within the limits of one round.

Time of increase or reduction of speed depends on a direction of movement of the ship. The more a corner of turn of the ship, the more slowly it increases speed and more quickly reduces speed.

The more speed of the ship, the is worse its maneuverability. The maneuverability depends on length of the ship and the form of its case.

Modeling of the ship.

At mathematical modeling the ship its size, displacement and materials of which it is made is considered. These parameters are used for definition of safety factor of the ship. Safety factor shows, what damages the ship yet can sustain will not stop to be a construction.

At the ship always any part is under water. Therefore it is possible to destroy guns only that part which is located above water. The ship with the destroyed part on water cannot shoot and will float more slowly, but can leave a battlefield and after repair to participate in following battle.

The fire too destroys the ship, and the smoke and temperature from a fire prevent to use to the ship a part of its guns. But even completely burned down ship can not sink.

The best way to destroy the ship is to drown it. It is necessary for this purpose that shells or a bow of the ship have done holes in a board of the ship on a water level. Then in the ship water will start to act. When the weight of water inside of the ship will be equal to displacement of the ship - it will sink.

It is necessary to consider, that the crew of the ship struggles with flooding the ship. Special a pomp pump out water, and people close up holes in a board. Therefore to drown the ship it is necessary to make as much as possible holes on a water level as it is possible the greater size. When the ship plunges into water through holes which were highly above water earlier, water too acts.

The more displacement of the ship, the is more than water it can accept in itself through holes in the case before sinking or turning over. The ship will sink in horizontal position if water acts in it in regular intervals. The ship overturns and will sink, if the weight of water in one part of the case is more than in others (a difference approximately in 10 % from displacement). If at the ship of a hole only on the one hand cases probability of that there is more that it will turn over.

By the ships of the period of Civil war in the USA there were no internal partitions which would prevent to spread to water inside of the case. Therefore water freely fills in all parts of the ship, but most of all waters there, where a hole.

Shooting.

Calculation of range of shooting is limited to distance in 2500 meters. If the distance up to the purpose was more the ships did not try to shoot at all.
Accuracy depends on distance up to the purpose and the area of the purpose. The more and more close the purpose, the easier in it to get. Rifle guns have greater accuracy, than smoothbores. If the shell has not got in the armor the distance up to the purpose does not influence damage. At shooting on the ship from reservations it is necessary to suit as it is possible more close. The distance up to the purpose influences an opportunity of a shell to punch the reservation. The armor partially or completely absorbs energy of a shell. Therefore smoothbores guns of small calibres cannot seriously damage a part of the ship from armor.

The more the calibre of a gun, the is more than damage to the ship put shells of this gun.

Ram.

Impact by a forward part of the ship in a board of other ship can make a hole in the case. This hole is always located on a water level. The size of a hole depends on the form of a forward part the ships, on which blow and a corner between a forward part of the attacking ship and a board of other ship is striked speeds. The most dangerous impact can turn out at perpendicular position of a forward part of the attacking ship and a board of its purpose.

At the different ships the different opportunity to punch a board and to be protected from such impacts. The more thickly and more strongly the board, the is more difficult to punch it at impact by a forward part of the ship.

PS\

Game is almost finished. To change a basis already there is no opportunity. I attentively read and I write down interesting ideas for the future.

BR,
Totem Games

Last edited by Maxim; 09-08-08 at 01:13 AM.
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 07:46 AM   #48
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Thanks for the data TR! We are here to help, and Totem's commitment to a good game makes it easy for us to throw out ideas.

A note or "bug" I have found regarding movement. The game does allow the greatest acceleration to be in a straight line - most of the time. On occasion, especially after a couple of lazy turns at speed, centering the rudder does NOT actually give me max distance of travel. Often the greatest distance or acceleration is derived from having the helm on notch to the left or right.

Does Ironclads have a built in screenshot key? If so, it would be easy to get a few screenshots showing what I am describing.

Also - is it just me - or is the map display 180 degrees off on the north and south axis? For example - each selected ship has a "North" indicator. However, if I have a enemy to my northwest, on the map - it shows the enemy to my southwest. Again - screenshots may be best for demonstration. It may be I am looking at it wrong, but it sure seems out of phase to me!

Keep up the great work!

Captain Haplo
Old 09-08-08, 01:29 AM   #49
Maxim
Totem Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo
Thanks for the data TR! We are here to help, and Totem's commitment to a good game makes it easy for us to throw out ideas.

A note or "bug" I have found regarding movement. The game does allow the greatest acceleration to be in a straight line - most of the time. On occasion, especially after a couple of lazy turns at speed, centering the rudder does NOT actually give me max distance of travel. Often the greatest distance or acceleration is derived from having the helm on notch to the left or right.

Does Ironclads have a built in screenshot key? If so, it would be easy to get a few screenshots showing what I am describing.

Also - is it just me - or is the map display 180 degrees off on the north and south axis? For example - each selected ship has a "North" indicator. However, if I have a enemy to my northwest, on the map - it shows the enemy to my southwest. Again - screenshots may be best for demonstration. It may be I am looking at it wrong, but it sure seems out of phase to me!

Keep up the great work!
1. Reduction of speed at turns inures only on following round.

2. To a regret in a demo there is no function for creation of screenshots. I recommend to use the separate program.

For example http://www.faststone.org/

You can send screenshots and comments to the address of support@totemgames.ru

Totem Games
Old 09-08-08, 03:18 PM   #50
OldNuke
Nub

Default First, Apologies

I, like at least one other person here, didn't realize the developer was actively participating here and taking input. My whining could have been more constructively phrased, I'm afraid.

CaptainHaplo made a comment that actually might be a solution to the turn-based scenario. If you could pause the action to set commands for each ship and then let the scenario run with both sides maneuvering and shooting at the same time, that would be closer to a realistic situation than sitting still while the enemy runs rings around you with impunity.

For Totem Games: The z-axis problem was most noticeable with the steam-sailing ships that have bulwarks. The water level could be seen rising and falling above their decks, inside the bulwarks, which would be a real problem for those ships!!

Terry
OldNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-08, 12:36 AM   #51
Maxim
Totem Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuke
I, like at least one other person here, didn't realize the developer was actively participating here and taking input. My whining could have been more constructively phrased, I'm afraid.

CaptainHaplo made a comment that actually might be a solution to the turn-based scenario. If you could pause the action to set commands for each ship and then let the scenario run with both sides maneuvering and shooting at the same time, that would be closer to a realistic situation than sitting still while the enemy runs rings around you with impunity.

For Totem Games: The z-axis problem was most noticeable with the steam-sailing ships that have bulwarks. The water level could be seen rising and falling above their decks, inside the bulwarks, which would be a real problem for those ships!!

Terry
It is good, that you have written that thought in the message. Praises are not necessary to us. The truth is necessary to us.

We thought above such idea. If the ships of the player and a computer will simultaneously operate, it is game in real time. If the ships of one side, and then another it is very difficult to supervise such fight will simultaneously operate. It not strongly differs from our variant, in my opinion even is worse.

Before the beginning of work above game we have studied various desktop naval strategy. It was interesting to try to transfer rules of a board game on a computer. The first version of the prototype game was with division of a game field into cells and copying of basic elements of board games.

After the first testing became clear, that the computer does the basic work which did the person earlier. For example throws game bones (cubes). Or writes down position and a condition of the ship. Actually at such a variant to the player it was very boring. Movement - a shot – movement - a shot... Thus parameters of the ship and all game mechanics it is too simple. It is necessary that the life of the ship became equal to zero. Any fires, floodings or calculations of the armor. The ship from armor in such games has more than spots of a life.

It has not arranged us also we have decided to try realistic modelling of the ships and fight with TBS mechanics of game.

In some days we shall start to test campaign for the North. Therefore any changes would be a mistake.

I have understood you. We thought that water can be rolled on decks of the small ships. Probably we were mistaken.

BR,
Totem Games
Old 09-10-08, 06:15 AM   #52
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Ok - I have confirmed a bug with the demo regarding the map. I will get some screenshots using an external app and then forward them to you via email TR. Give me a day or 2 to get those. Thanks again for being open to input.

Captain Haplo
Old 09-19-08, 12:23 PM   #53
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5

Is it by any chance starforce protected or something similar intrusive ?
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 02:13 AM   #54
Maxim
Totem Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon
Is it by any chance starforce protected or something similar intrusive ?
The demo has no protection. Starforce - categorically is not present! We respect with the buyers... As protection not such reliable as promote.

We have found the reason of bugs. Now there is a work on correction. We shall soon update a demo.

BR,
Totem Games
Old 09-20-08, 02:55 AM   #55
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5

Great!

I guess I will try it then
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-08, 03:33 PM   #56
CWorth
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo
For those wanting the game to be "real time" - remember your tasked - in the demo only - to control 8 or more ships at a time. Think your up to tracking them ALL at the same time in "real time"? If you tried - you would end up screaming "Its too much to control at one time - why isnt there a "pause and command" feature!" The first time you neglected to check a vessel and it got hammered, you would be unhappy. This is not a game that is designed to be command and conquer with ironclads - its designed to represent some of the HISTORICAL challenges of fighting with, and against, this "new technology" at an earlier time in naval history.
I am going to guess you have never played Age of Sail 2 Privateers Bounty.

One of the best things about it was that it was in real time.And trying to fight the Battle of Trafalgar in real time with all those ships is what made that even more fun.Simply because it made for a challange trying to manage a fleet of 22 British ships or a fleet of 33 French and Spanish ships.

Sure it was buggy but it was still a fun game and the real time control made it even better.

This is a game I will be getting for certain but a real time version maybe later on would be great.
CWorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 06:06 AM   #57
Maxim
Totem Games

Default Totem Games news update

Bugs are corrected. The demo now works on operational system Windows Vista. New screenshots of game campaign for US Navy.

Work above game approaches end. In October we shall begin sale of the English version through the Internet. A guiding price 35 - 40 US dollars.

BR,
Totem Games
Old 10-09-08, 05:54 AM   #58
Maxim
Totem Games

Default Game now on sale

Totem Games announces the completion of the historical turn-based naval strategy game for PC "Ironclads: American Civil War". The game focuses on the first steam propelled armored ships of the United States and Confederation during the Civil War in the USA.

The game can be purchased directly from the developer's website www.totemgames.ru

BR,
Maxim Ferapontov
Totem Games