Uploads: 1

I'm also waiting for 0.4!!
Old 09-15-09, 03:36 PM   #63
msalama
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Just to let everyone know the project is still alive and well.
WE-HE-HE-HEYYYY and any other goofy smilies you can think of

S**t Gotta get even _more_ drunk now that it's official that the _real_ submarine simulator is still alive and well
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 10:18 AM   #64
IanC
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

If I may voice my opinion. The devs seem to be focusing too much on graphics (eye candy). You guys should simply get going on the gameplay. Graphics are constantly getting better and better so you guys will spend months and months trying to keep up. It will never end.
Forget about the graphics, get to work on aircrafts and AI instead of pretty clouds.
Having said that, I also want to thank you guys for wanting to bring us a new subsim.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-09, 09:16 PM   #65
hdtvman
Nub

Downloads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rconstruct View Post
Hi
Just to let everyone know the project is still alive and well. Code cleanups, .3ds not supported any more (exclusively dangerdeep's file format now), OpenGL/GLSL cleanups,
That's great news - I have been playing 0.2 as I have never been able to get beyond the dreaded red screen (no shaders or reg fixes didn't help, debug shows that 0.3 defaults to Microsoft OpenGL never finds the Radeon like 2.0) on my last two PCs with ATI cards. Please put out a pre-alpha 0.4 when you can, I bet there are many of us that could never get 3.0 to work. We'll be happy to contribute bug reports and the like - My new ATI 3870 is dying to get wet
hdtvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 06:39 PM   #66
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

I can't wait to get a version I can actually play ! Every time I select a scenario, it crashes to desktop on me.
Old 11-02-09, 05:15 PM   #67
kgsuarez
Planesman

Downloads: 28

I am going to have to agree with IanC; It also appears to me that the developers are placing an undue amount of effort on the production of "pleasing" graphics.

I wouldn't dare tell the developers what they should or shouldn't do with their project. It is after all their own endeavor, with which they may do what they please. And I would only encourage such an attitude on their part, as that is the essence of open source software, and of artistic and technical creation in any shape or form. But as a member of this community and a fan of subsims, there are certain opinions that I wish to express in regards to their progress on this interesting and promising piece of software.

Over the years us subsimers have experienced a great deal of disappointment with the small number of game titles made available to us. And it has only been recently that certain development teams have begun to listen to the community as a whole and implement those features that we so strongly crave in a game. I am referring specifically to Ubisoft and their production of the recent Silent Hunter installments. This has been a massive step forward. I can only imagine the potential that a community based subsim could have, if only more of us were willing to come on board and take upon us the vast responsibilities available in such a project.

My advice to the developers of Danger from the Deep is simple. Leave the graphics alone and focus on creating a game that works, with the features that gamers want. You are a talented group of individual who have coordinated a production that no other group before you has been able to. The subsim community is chock full of individuals who are more than willing to offer their graphical expertise to a game that shows the promise of enjoyable and realistic play. There is evidence of this in nearly every mod available for Silent Hunter II - IV. The talented people in this community have a real knack for turning lead into gold. Provide a good foundation and leave the rest of the work for them.

Another piece of advice I would like to share with you is again related to graphics. I believe that it is imperative that you offer players a way to adjust the graphical demands of your game. As it is, my current computer is seemingly unable to run this game due to its hardware requirements. In keeping with the spirit of open source software I think it is important that you offer us a game that can be run on sub par systems.I don't know this for sure, but I am willing to bet that the majority of us Linux users are running on somewhat dated hardware. I know that I am.

I believe that the real subsimmers, those of us who have been at this for a while and are in it for the fun and the realism, are more than willing to look past some cosmetic issues for a game that functions well. In this day and age the majority of games rely on dazzling graphics to lure in players, continually sacrificing integral parts of ejoyable gameplay. Nevertheless, I enjoy eye candy as much as the next guy, so I hope I don't get any flak for these comments.

At any rate I must congratulate the developers of Danger from the Deep for keeping it together for this long. I trust that in time you will have reached a level of completion that will offer the community a great game to play. I hope that you are all reading these forums and taking notes on what we would all like to see this game become. And I hope that I have not been out of place or too forward in stating my opinions on your work. I wish you all the best of luck and above all that you have fun with your project because, after all, that's what this is all about.
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-09, 04:49 PM   #68
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

I agree at 1000% with kgsuarez!!!!

Good graphics is nice, but not essential of game. For me the graphic level is good and I don't need better. Remember SH2/DC - look on graphic and on playablity...

Let us help you - fans of the series SH have given extra work or these games and producted thousand mods, for example:
* the uboot campaign on Atlantic for SH4 (not available in original game),
* playing as surface ships (not available in original game)
* playing as Japanese submarines (not available in original game)
* new ships, debris, planes, buidings (not available in original game)
* 3D view of uboat interior (not available in original game, cancelled project)

The potential is gigantic and is waiting to use it.... but you are a chief or a captain...

But:
When can we expect release date for version 0.4+?

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 12:33 PM   #69
Balsamo
Nub

Default Help starting DangerDeep

Totally new to this and could use a little help.
Just loaded DangerDeep and cannot get it to run.
Using a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, 2.2 GHz dual core processo and the NVIDIA GeForce 8600 M GT graphics card.
Everything loads and expands. I get the circular icon and then the little 4-option resolution screen. "Launch" is highlit, but when I click on it nothing happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Used to run Aces of the Deep 15 years ago and loved it, including the voice commands.

Balsamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-09, 05:43 PM   #70
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
I can't wait to get a version I can actually play ! Every time I select a scenario, it crashes to desktop on me.
Me too. Thought it might be my old rig with the ATI card. So I got a new one with an Nvidia................and still get the CTD.
d@rk51d3 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-09, 10:53 AM   #71
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Strange...

I work on GF7900GS and DotD 0.3 work correctly at first 20-30 minutes playing scenario.

Old 12-07-09, 03:15 PM   #72
Balsamo
Nub

Default DangerDeep

Thanks for the post, Antar. Any thought as to what would cause the game simply not to be there? Am I missing something obvious?
Old 12-08-09, 02:08 AM   #73
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

On project site autors add changelog (at least!!!).

Changelog DotD site:
http://dangerdeep.sourceforge.net/changelog-rss.xml

Old 01-04-10, 01:42 PM   #74
Balsamo
Nub

Default Got it to work in OS-X!

Finally got it to work on literally about the 20th try.
Didn't realize that you have to drag the round icon to the desktop,
at least in OS X you do.
Hope this helps somebody else.
Well done so far. Anxious to see more developments.
Old 01-28-10, 09:21 PM   #75
hdtvman
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvman View Post
That's great news - I have been playing 0.2 as I have never been able to get beyond the dreaded red screen (no shaders or reg fixes didn't help, debug shows that 0.3 defaults to Microsoft OpenGL never finds the Radeon like 2.0) on my last two PCs with ATI cards. Please put out a pre-alpha 0.4 when you can, I bet there are many of us that could never get 3.0 to work. We'll be happy to contribute bug reports and the like - My new ATI 3870 is dying to get wet
Great news - I just loaded the latest SVN version 3232 and the Intel fix has also fixed the Radeon problem I was having - no more crashes to red screen. I do get a crash to menu on the historical training mission but the single mission seems like it will work fine. Off I go to test :-)
I am running vista sp2 on i7 with ATI 4870
hdtvman is offline   Reply With Quote