SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-17, 10:07 PM   #1
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1
Default Permit and LA available boats mod

Hey guys! I made a quick mod to restrict the boats assigned from the Permit and Los Angeles class. Currently you can be issued any Permit including Jack (which had twin, counter-rotating screws), with this mod you'll only be issued boats that had the small sail and short hull depicted in game.

As for the Los Angeles, the stock game will issue you any Flight I Los Angeles but with this mod boats are limited to those commissioned prior to 1984.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5263
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 10:34 PM   #2
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39

Good idea, the "improved" Permits were quite close to being Sturgeon class boats and were an overlooked steppingstone to that design.

As far as the 688s go, I thought about doing something similar but decided not to when I included the Flight II boats (whcih weren't out at all). What I did do though was include "Flight 0" which was the initial standard that the Los Angeles boats were completed to, no towed array (well I don't find good sources on this but, they at least didn't come with the retractable TB-16 + side blister and I have heard TB-12 mentioned ONCE, but other than that possibly BQR-15) as well as no Harpoon or Tomahawk capability.
Old 07-11-17, 05:34 PM   #3
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Nice! So did the Flight 0 only have a single towed array or none at all?
Old 07-11-17, 06:15 PM   #4
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
Nice! So did the Flight 0 only have a single towed array or none at all?
I'm honestly not sure. My only understanding is that if it was any TA it all it would be something like the BQR-15 that the boomers were using at the time and it was probably a clip-on unit which was probably a whole lot of fun since it couldn't be retracted (most likely speed restrictions so that it didn't get pulled off, and you'd need to worry about snagging it on the bottom or on other ships.

I may be off on this but I think the Flight 2 boats introduced two arrays (thin line on one side, fat line in the blistered side) if not the 688I.

Also, if you don't mind, I'd like to take your availability idea to the next level and make "Long hull" and "Short Hull" sub-classes for both Sturgeon and Permit in the OAS mod. I supposed the Jack is a one off, hard to consider it a class of its own, but if I can get one of the contra-rotating prop masks to work on it, that'd be something.
Old 07-11-17, 07:54 PM   #5
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Be my guest.

Are there actually any contra-rotating props in game? I've only seen the Soviet tandem props. Also, there's no way to actually create a long hull, is there?
Old 07-11-17, 08:12 PM   #6
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
Be my guest.

Are there actually any contra-rotating props in game? I've only seen the Soviet tandem props. Also, there's no way to actually create a long hull, is there?
My understanding is that the tandem ones in the game are in fact contra-rotating but it would just be too difficult/ time consuming to make them as tow separate animate parts (kind of like how the prop is always spinning at the same rate).

But yeah I've been fooling around trying to make a Jack and no, sadly no luck. There isn't any way to make the hull longer, you can lengthen it in the .txt file but as far as I know that's basically an invisible box (whether your sub is 90m long or 10, its still going to use whatever model you select) other than maybe to use the Sturgeon model but then you have to live with an incorrect sail.

The sails will be a bit wrong on my long-hull Permits anyways since I'm using the Sturgeon model (the Sturgeons sail is actually a bit bigger but it looks the part at least compared to the short Permit sail).

Anyways yeah I'll get that done and credit you for the idea.
Old 07-18-17, 01:23 PM   #7
TigerDude
Swabbie

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

If you play the Jack are you detectable from Mars?

Clickety Clack, here comes the Jack.
TigerDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 07:05 PM   #8
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerDude View Post
If you play the Jack are you detectable from Mars?

Clickety Clack, here comes the Jack.
Hmm, well I managed to put an Oscar II prop on it so it somewhat looks the part. From everything I have seen on the Jack it was actually supposed to be quieter than the standard Permit because it had direct drive. Now they did have trouble with the seals on the shafts and drive system so this may have lead to noise later on. My understanding is that the worst part of the whole thing, the direct drive was so heavy it destroyed any efficiency gained by the contra-props and gave the Jack a .3 knot increase in speed over the standard Permit short hull.
Old 07-19-17, 01:24 PM   #9
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189
Uploads: 0

The Soviet props are NOT contra-rotating. We have contra-rotating props on the torpedoes, so obviously this is not hard to do had we had any contra props to worry about.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-17, 02:01 AM   #10
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
The Soviet props are NOT contra-rotating. We have contra-rotating props on the torpedoes, so obviously this is not hard to do had we had any contra props to worry about.
My mistake, I was under the impression until recently that these tandem props (namely victor III) were contra-rotating.

Tags
los angeles, permit