SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-17, 01:17 AM   #1
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0
Default Ubuntu Linux questions

I have installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTE and on the LH side of the screen is a button called Ubuntu Software, in this I typed in a program called "Krusader" if I hit the Install button I am confronted with a password, it is not my system password and I am running as Administrator.
Can someone assist.
Thanks.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 04:58 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

General quarters > General quarters > Send for Rockin Robbins
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 12:45 PM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Hello there! Whenever you start a software that can install software you are prompted for your password before you are given administrator privileges, even if you are logged into an administrator level account. This is the same password you use to log into the system on startup.

Ubuntu Software, Synaptic Package Manager and gdebi, along with the command prompt apt programs all require this password. You are asked when you start the program and then until you log off the program your credentials are good.

For instance, if I were to install Krusader from the command prompt I would type "sudo apt-get install Krusader" The system would respond with "Administrator password: " and I would have to enter my password, even though my account has administrator privileges.

Sudo means "supervisor do," apt-get is the name of the program that installs software (even the gui is using this routine), install is what you want apt-get to do and you want it to install Krusader.

I'll check out Krusader when I get home to see if I encounter anything strange there.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 03-29-17 at 01:10 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 07:10 PM   #4
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

I don't have a password to log in to Ubuntu at the start but if the computer sits for too long it turns partly off and moving the mouse starts it up again. I am prompted with a password and I enter it and all is going again, this password will not work when I try to install Krusader via "Ubuntu Software".
I still have a lot of reading and learning to do yet, the book pointed to this button and thought I'd give it a try on something I want to install.
Thanks.

Old 03-29-17, 07:49 PM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

So you're looking at this screen?

Now if Ubuntu starts without a password one of two things is happening:
  • You didn't set up a password. In this case just hit enter when it asks for your password and you're off to the races.
  • You set up a password but told Ubuntu to automatically log you in. In that case you must remember your administrator password used when you first set up Ubuntu and type it in. Ubuntu passwords are case sensitive. Bob and bob are two entirely different words.
Old 03-29-17, 10:30 PM   #6
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

If I put in my password and enter I get "Your authentication attempt was unsuccessful, Please try again." The same thing if I leave it blank and hit enter.
I tried changing the password that was only 6 characters long and it wouldn't let me unless it had a minimum of 8, so maybe that was the problem, the new longer password worked or seemed to. The icon for Krusader is on the left bar, pointing to it displays "waiting to install" after 15 minutes nothing has changed, if I right click on it it shows "Krusader - root mode", what ever that is!!
Edit:
It seems this is a bug!!! Typical the first thing I try fails!!
Seems "Ubuntu Software Center" is useless, I now have to try an app called GDebi, now it is one thing to download it but how do I install it, and where?
I then have to open a terminal (haven't learned how to do that yet), and enter the following: "sudo apt-get install gdebi" or does this download it and install it????
I will try to read up on this!!
Edit:
Well I managed to get the updater going and updated 191mb of stuff, the Ubuntu Software Center is working now but ever so slow!! Not sure if updating actually fixed it but it is done. The book is definitely out dated and will have to pay the extra $$ to get a copy that covers this version.
I can't seem to find a list/menu of installed applications, the only way I can find them is through Ubuntu Software Center, there must be an easier way!!
The IT person that installed this selected 16.04 LTE, should I stick to this or update it?

This is a screenshot of the desktop:

Last edited by Reece; 03-30-17 at 02:30 AM.
Old 03-30-17, 05:55 AM   #7
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Can't seem to find any applications!!
I made a new folder on the desktop and want to place some shortcuts to applications here and although there are many applications installed I can't find even one!!! Help!!!

Old 03-30-17, 07:02 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Reece, do you know why they have developed Linux Mint (which bases heavily on Ubuntu, as far as I understand)? Because it is meant to make migration from Windows to Mint easier than any other Linux distribution. That is its big advantage.

As long as you are no deep-digging computer insider, you simply do not need the additional options that ubuntu may offer, while being able to use many of the Ubuntu-apps nevertheless - as I said Ubuntu and Mint are very close.

Before you frustrate yourself any longer and then turn into one of those voices telling the world that Linux is so difficult and so unkind , I would consider to get myself an introductory book on Ubuntu, or Mint, and then start from scratch. I do not know Ubuntu, but Mint a little bit now, as long as no technical problems show up indeed is easy handling. Linux becomes more difficult to handle once there are problems, because one needs to have far more technical background knowledge on commands and syntax rules than you need under Windows until W7, due to the need to use the command line interpreter then. Could a Windows user all of a sudden get along when needing to use MSDOS? Hardly. That is the one bad news with Linux: you reach this critical point earlier than you use to reach it under W7. The good news is that once running, Linux is more problem-free than Windows, and more reliable, and faster. Also, those knowing the mentioned text interface and its syntax, can repair problems under Linux that in a windows environment are more difficult to solve.

Go to the library or bookshop, and find one of these Linux-for-Dummies book or something like that. A beginner book. Nothing bad in that - i did like that myself, too! Read for an afternoon, and then when you feel prepared well enough and have inhaled some of the basics and differences that indeed also exist, compared to Windows, install new - and do it yourself. What I mean is: be prepared.

Consider Mint over Ubuntu. Robbins will disagree, but he has a far more elaborated perspective and probably can make use of the differences between Ubuntu and Mint, has a need for it. I could not, and have no need for these diferences - and I assume you would not have that need, too. There is a reason why today Mint has overtaken Ubuntu in user numbers. It is the most popular of all the Linux distrubutions.

What I mean, is this: from your descriptions I cannot even form an image of what your situation is, that confusing it is for me.

If you stick with your current Ubuntu, search for the one dominant Ubuntu community forum that must be out there somewhere, to get input on your problems. I know the according Mint communties, and I am certain Ubuntu has pendants to that. Then ask them and describe your status in as much linear clarity (I mean the exact sequence of your actions) and detail as you can. If these guys are like those I met in the Mint forum, they will not stop helping you until they got you set on your right course - and they will react fast.

Good luck!
Old 03-30-17, 07:37 AM   #9
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Hi Skybird, an IT friend of mine together with advise from Rockin Robbins have had Ubuntu installed on this dual booting with Windows 10 Pro. I am not good at this so although Mint may be better I am stuck with this setup.
I'm in for the long haul, every now and then I get a break through and advance that bit more.
The only real hassle is when an application is installed where does it go? and since they are not exe files I'm finding it hard to figure out how to work with them, what ever they are!!!
I had purchased 2 books online and both turned out to be old (version 12.04), nothing like this version, I have now purchased a book for this version and slowly working through it, maybe I am jumping the gun a bit and should turn the pc off.
I am quite familiar with MSDOS and even better the CP/M systems. (showing my age again) I preferred these but that was many years ago.
The book I am currently reading is "Getting Started With Ubuntu 16.04".
Yes I guess eventually I will join an Ubuntu group.

Old 03-30-17, 08:01 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Sorry that I cannot be of greater help here. Good luck.
Old 03-30-17, 10:55 AM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Unfortunately, Mint is a dying distro, pulling back services and dev team shrinking. Something is seriously wrong in Mintville. The root cause is that Mint brings nothing to the table.

When Mint was the early adopter of Mate, there was an argument for using it. But Mate was added to the Ubuntu repository, then later, Ubuntu Mate became an additional full service flavor of Ubuntu.

Now Mint, with a tiny dev team barely able to keep up with Ubuntu development anyway, had their services (highly overrated--there's no advantage at all for Windows migration vs Ubuntu) done faster and better by the Ubuntu Mate team. Check and mate (pun fully intended hehehehehe). Game over.

In a year I predict there will be no Mint. They will join the Ubuntu Mate team and go forth boldly as it should have been in the beginning.
Old 03-30-17, 11:50 PM   #12
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

The new book is really helping out, starting finally to enjoy it!!
I have learned about the Dash where I found the applications, have dragged the ones I want to the desktop, made folders (Utilities, Games & Applications) and moved the appropriate icons to them. Quite a few apps I didn't know existed, I like the look of the Terminal Icon, I should be able to cause trouble here.

Old 03-31-17, 05:42 AM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

I put my money on those who already 2-3 years ago predicted that Mint will kind of divorce from ubuntu sooner or later and go along the Debian trail exclusively. Augurs already in 2013 predicted the soon to come death of Mint - and since then it became instead stronger and more popular with every year. Like others predict since 20 years that Linux is about to take over gaming from Windows, which until today just is not the case, not even closely. What tech insiders and developers see as essentials, must not necessarily be what is relevant for the ordinary user, both perspectives are very different ones, a lesson last but not least learned from microsoft and W10. And even if Mint would be stopped, it nevertheless would be a stop not happening over night, but over years. The current 18.1 distribution is having LTS (8long time support) for until 2021, 5 years since release, that is. If every couple of years one has to renew the OS (I did it once per year under Windows, to clean the system and make it faster again), there probably is nothing too drastic to complain about. - But ringing the panic bell over MintS' imminent death, is a bit irresponsible, I think. It can push people into plenty of needless work for essentially nothing within the coming years. And that Mint indeed is dying, is so far nothing but a guessing game. When I read comparing numbers on distributions of Linux in last Decembre, Mint still was the widest-spread version of Linux out there, and it still gets many recommendations from publicatiosn and book authors, for its easy accessability. Things can change, yes, but no need to ring general quarters already now. Ten years ago Suse Linux was the latest call, and today it is almost gone. A lot can happen in ten years. But ten years are just this: TEN YEARS.

The some weeks ago reported problems of mine with the updater btw were found to be users fault meanwhile. My 18.1 Mint works flawless, smooth and fine, with the only excption of my damn printer. When i have consumed my still big ink cartridge reserves, i will buy a compatible Brother or HP one. Printer incompatabilties exist in all Linux distributions. And as long as Ubunutu has no decisive advanatge in that field, I have no motivation to consider it. Whatever it may do differently - I do not miss these different features at all.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-31-17 at 05:50 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-17, 08:59 AM   #14
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Right-click context menus abound in Ubuntu also, and you can get to quite a few things with those...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-17, 06:02 PM   #15
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Yes I'm discovering that!! Thanks.

Edit:
Just enabled ufw and installed gufw, all working nicely!!
Even edited the grub file boot order, worked a treat!!

Last edited by Reece; 04-01-17 at 04:00 AM.