SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-06-08, 04:06 PM   #31
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._sub_AWM_1.JPG

the more i look at pictures the more they appear different from the one ingame..

Japan
  • Type A Ko-hyoteki-class midget submarines were used in the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, in which the type 97 torpedo was used operationally. One of these five midget submarines was shot and sunk by the USS Ward as it was spotted trying to enter Pearl Harbor. The wreckage of the submarine was located by NOAA's Hawaii Undersea Research Laboratory (HURL) in August 2002. Photographic analysis conducted by the United States Naval Institute in 1999 indicates one of the five Ko-hyoteki-class submarines managed to enter Pearl Harbor, and successfully fired a torpedo into the USS West Virginia. The submarine's final resting place is unknown.
  • Type B Midget Ha 45 prototype built 1942 to test Type A improvements.[5]
  • Type C Midget Ha 62-76 similar to Type A with crew of 3 and radius increased to 350 miles at 6 knots surfaced or 120 miles at 4 knots submerged.[5]
  • Type D Koryu (115 completed) improved Type C with crew of 5 and radius increased to 1000 miles at 8 knots surfaced and 320 miles at 16 knots submerged.[6]
  • Kairyu class submarine
  • Kaiten Submarine suicide torpedo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midget_submarine
http://freenet-homepage.de/JBarche/html/englisch.html
keltos

Last edited by keltos01; 12-06-08 at 04:28 PM.
keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 04:32 PM   #32
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimuraijn
Keltos, Peabody ... Were was the missing link when this sim came out . I mean Sh4 .. As a sub simmer. disappointment was in the idea of germen wolves were in the paciifc , but Iam apreciating your work .. I know that A campaing is the works , but I have did my homework .. and If the chance can begin I would like to contribute to the cause .. This is what SH4 Should have been .. As I said I would like to contribute ... Kiyoshi Kimura
we will contact you by pm about how you could contribute

keltos

Old 12-06-08, 04:44 PM   #33
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01

Photographic analysis conducted by the United States Naval Institute in 1999 indicates one of the five Ko-hyoteki-class submarines managed to enter Pearl Harbor, and successfully fired a torpedo into the USS West Virginia. The submarine's final resting place is unknown.
I saw a special on that and they didn't convince me. There are several scientists that disagree with the conclusions arrived at by the research team. I saw the photos and listened to the discussion and saw the lighting etc and I, as well as many others, are not convinced that it was a minisub. I am not saying it wasn't just that I was not convinced by the evidence they presented, especially the photograph. They claim the screw broached the surface and made some 'rooster tails' but here is the other side of it. (only a portion of a big article which states it is possible but not proven)

Quote:
2) The idea of the mini-submarine's screws broaching and creating the three sequential splashes is questionable for several reasons:
  • If the mini-submarine broached, it was more likely to be nose-up, not tail-up due to the lost weight of the torpedoes.
  • If the screws broke the surface, then why didn't the conning tower and especially the periscope also broach? As mentioned previously, it's somewhat more likely that the mini-submarine would have gone nose-up if it struck a pressure wave, which would push the conning tower and periscope out of the water first. Both are more likely to raise a larger and more significant splash.
  • If the mini-submarine pitched so far nose-down as to broach the screws without also broaching the conning tower and periscope, then a simple geometric exercise shows that it would have struck its nose into the shallow bottom.
  • If significant portions of the mini-submarine broached between the concussion waves, why then was there no sighting by the many eyes anxiously brought to that area of the harbor in anticipation of the next torpedo to strike?
So, even though I agree it was possible, I am not convinced it happened.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 04:51 PM   #34
keltos01
Silent Hunter

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviati...rine/index.htm

I'd love to try that myself in a single mission : but we'd need good intel on the Harbor's propections and stuff, and actually have plane attacking as well? does it seem feasible to you ?

keltos

Last edited by keltos01; 12-06-08 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-06-08, 05:00 PM   #35
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
I'd love to try that myself in a single mission : but we'd need good intel on the Harbor's propections and stuff, and actually have plane attacking as well? does it seem feasible to you ?

keltos
It's about 7Km from the entrance to Battleship Row, and if you came from a location that you could actually be dropped off by another sub that would add another 20KM or so. So it would be about a 100KM round trip. Adding planes is not a problem but the game adds the wrecked battleships so the single mission would have to overwrite files that add them to the game.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 12-06-08, 05:07 PM   #36
keltos01
Silent Hunter

no wonder they never made it.. all this in shallow water...

Old 12-06-08, 06:17 PM   #37
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
no wonder they never made it.. all this in shallow water...
Yes, Pearl Harbor is shallow, that is why the Japanese had to put the wooden fins on the torpedos so they wouldn't go deep when dropped from the planes, they would run into the bottom. That is part of the reason I question the minisub theory. I know they were busy with other things, but you would think that will the thousands of people there, someone would have seen the minisub, even submerged it should be easily spotted at periscope depth. But I have never heard stories of anyone claiming to have seen it.

Peabody

Old 12-06-08, 07:53 PM   #38
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280
Uploads: 0

Kelt, those pics that you posted last of the real Ko-Hyoteki was at the sub museum in Groton, Connecticut right?

I go there damn near every year. Love it
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 04:43 AM   #39
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427
Kelt, those pics that you posted last of the real Ko-Hyoteki was at the sub museum in Groton, Connecticut right?

I go there damn near every year. Love it
Yeah ! When I post pictures or info the original web link is under them, everytime,

this one was :

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviati...rine/index.htm

"render unto Caesar what belongs to Caesar"

Old 12-08-08, 06:27 PM   #40
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324
Uploads: 0
Default Missing Sail

This Sub is missing a sail {bridge} Any suggestions ? was gonna make a mission for it @ pearl harbor using correct data from the history books

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-08, 11:51 AM   #41
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimuraijn
This Sub is missing a sail {bridge} Any suggestions ? was gonna make a mission for it @ pearl harbor using correct data from the history books
what do you mean it's missing a "sail" ? please post pictures ?

the inside is that of the type II german sub for now..

keltos

Old 12-09-08, 02:44 PM   #42
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Default New guard model

I'm working on a new model for the guard rail that sits at the bow.

keltos

Last edited by keltos01; 12-09-08 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-09-08, 03:06 PM   #43
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Default Ko-Hyoteki version 1.3

from the side :

bow view :

periscope depth view :

dark :

submerged dark :

I modified the railing in front of the two torpedo tubes according to photographic evidence I found.

It has a pointed shape from the side and an 8 shape from the front.

Keltos

Download link IJN Ko version 1.3 :

Dark alternate texture :

http://files.filefront.com/NSS+Ko+T0.../fileinfo.html

Last edited by keltos01; 09-23-09 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-14-08, 10:42 PM   #44
miner1436
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 3

check this out
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/...d-model/358260
miner1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-08, 01:28 AM   #45
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner1436
$129:hmm: Let you use Kelto's for a lot less.

Peabody