SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-16-17, 09:15 AM   #1
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0
Default Unable to run SH3-GWX Gold on Win7!?!?

Greetings, Kaeluns. After a long absence from SH3 (I was in a different life roaming the Pacific in SH4) I wanted to check out SH3 again. I found that the old install on my PC (see Hardware specs below) was missing the SH3.exe file, so I deleted everything associated with SH3 (I think) and started a total new install. My thought was to set up a v1.4b Pristine version as a baseline in a separate folder so I could always go back to it without having to reload everything. So on my E: drive I did the following: I set up a new folder called Silent_Hunter_III_Pristine, and (eventually) installed to a subfolder Silent_Hunter_III from the original CD. I then intended to copy that installation to C:\Games\Ubisoft|Silent_Hunter_III, mirroring what I had done successfully with my SH4 install.

I ran into a problem with Windows 7 64-bit Pro not wanting to configure the Windows installer. With some help from the kind folks at Falcon Northwest, I got around that by changing the Compatibility setting to XP. The installation went to completion this time. I then ran the GWX upgrade, which also appears to have run successfully.

However, any attempt to execute SH3-GWX Gold gets me the following:

"Protection System
Error
This application can be launched with a release of Microsoft Windows 95 OSR2.1/ 98/ NT 4.0/ XP/ Server 2003 only"

Changing the Compatibility in the SH3.exe Properties to any of the available choices simply results in the same message, and no joy.

Has anyone else encountered this, and is there a solution? I swear SH3 used to run on this system, but it's been a long time (2+ years).

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 03:07 PM   #2
deepboat
Gunner

Downloads: 52

I get the same message. Tried all the tricks like re-installing, run as admin etc but no fix. Curse this Win 10. Worked well on Win 7. Don't ask what changed.
Old 09-02-17, 09:03 AM   #3
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Icon9 Does anyone know what the sh3.dll file does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepboat View Post
I get the same message. Tried all the tricks like re-installing, run as admin etc but no fix. Curse this Win 10. Worked well on Win 7. Don't ask what changed.
The only thing I can find that is suspect is in the sh3.dll file. It has numerous references to the StarForce application, and to an internal name Protection.dll. But when I run the StarForce removal tool it says there aren't any drivers to remove. So I tried just deleting the sh3.dll file - trying to launch the game gives a message that the sh3.dll file is missing and it quits right there.

I have reloaded the game 3 times now, patched it to v1.4b, and get the protection error regardless. Adding the GWX-Gold mod does nothing as far as changing the sh3.dll - still get the error. I'm nearing my wits end!

Old 09-02-17, 01:30 PM   #4
deepboat
Gunner

Downloads: 52
Icon8 SH3 not working

Ok, so I uninstalled the game, re-installed it, downloaded the parch 1.4, installed GWX 3.0 with no mods. Also, I replace some files before the GWX install, one suggestion was to overwrite these files as a possible solution. When I started it It begins with the intro: Grey wolf howling and animation and then with the screen with the torpedo being launched with the loading status bar, (look promising doesn't it?). At the end of that after 30 seconds I get the message "SH3 has stopped working" and Windows is looking for a solution and advise me, like that will ever happen.
Old 09-02-17, 02:25 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

The only thing I can think of would be to get a newer copy, preferably from Amazon. The Encore version is Starforce-free and v1.4b, though it's getting a bit expensive these days. This is also true of the version that comes with SH2 and SH3 (the version I've had for several years. A third option is the Amazon download version, which many people have used with no problems.

I wouldn't trust the original version any further than I can throw it.
Old 09-02-17, 04:10 PM   #6
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
The only thing I can think of would be to get a newer copy, preferably from Amazon. The Encore version is Starforce-free and v1.4b, though it's getting a bit expensive these days. This is also true of the version that comes with SH2 and SH3 (the version I've had for several years. A third option is the Amazon download version, which many people have used with no problems.

I wouldn't trust the original version any further than I can throw it.
I think you may be right. I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled just the basic v.1, applied the no Dvd fix, and started the game. It runs just fine! However, When I tried to apply the 1.4b patch it wouldn't let me do it. Won't recognize the SH3.exe that the "fix" installed, so I didn't even bother to try the GWX-Gold application. This whole thing stinks, so I'm going to rundown the Amazon version with 1.4 already applied and go with it.

This has been a huge waste of time and mental energy. But I'm stubborn enough not to want to give up until I get it running on my PC.

BTW, I was successful in getting the resolution set to 1920x1080 by going into the Main.cfg and resetting the X and Y values. But trying to change the max TC beyond 1080 didn't work.

Thanks for the added info!

Old 09-02-17, 04:34 PM   #7
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I think you may be right. I uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled just the basic v.1, applied the no Dvd fix, and started the game. It runs just fine! However, When I tried to apply the 1.4b patch it wouldn't let me do it. Won't recognize the SH3.exe that the "fix" installed, so I didn't even bother to try the GWX-Gold application. This whole thing stinks, so I'm going to rundown the Amazon version with 1.4 already applied and go with it.

This has been a huge waste of time and mental energy. But I'm stubborn enough not to want to give up until I get it running on my PC.

BTW, I was successful in getting the resolution set to 1920x1080 by going into the Main.cfg and resetting the X and Y values. But trying to change the max TC beyond 1080 didn't work.

Thanks for the added info!
torpedobait,

Hmmm sounds like my problem. But I have the 1.4 on disk and cannot run SH3 with any kind of super mod installed...

Stock SH3 runs like a dream.... I'm a sleep in five mintues

I'm on Windows 10, i was fine until 14 months ago - had an update "thank you microsoft" and can no longer play anything but basic...

Before I get asked, yes, I'm running a 4GB patch to no avail & the correct config for CMDR32 from VikingGrandad. from these forums.
Old 09-02-17, 05:33 PM   #8
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Guys
There is no reason I can think of why you cannot use a supermods on Windows 10 even with the latest Creator version.
LSH3-2015 runs without any problems with a full widescreen mod.
The latest windows update creatates problems because it updates a driver which is not compatible with any SH version.
This is usually a 382.?? version and most likely to be 382.05.

WIndows 10 and SH3 are not compatible and needs to be run in compatibility mode Windows 7.
All applications should be run as administrators.
The SH3.exe also may need to have the box ticked to override High DPI scaling.
The gpu driver needs to be checked to see what version is running.
The driver has not come from your gpu provider Nvidia or AMD but from Microsoft.
You may be able to roll back your driver to an earlier version.
I cannot speak for GWX as I do not use it.
There is more helpful information in my SH3 tutorials.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-17, 07:08 PM   #9
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
torpedobait,

Hmmm sounds like my problem. But I have the 1.4 on disk and cannot run SH3 with any kind of super mod installed...

Stock SH3 runs like a dream.... I'm a sleep in five mintues

I'm on Windows 10, i was fine until 14 months ago - had an update "thank you microsoft" and can no longer play anything but basic...

Before I get asked, yes, I'm running a 4GB patch to no avail & the correct config for CMDR32 from VikingGrandad. from these forums.
Following Sailor Steve's suggestion, I gave up and just went out to Amazon and bought the DVD Encore edition. Hopefully having it already updated to v1.4b will solve the protection problem, and allow me to add the GWX-Gold mod that I wanted to get back to when I started this mess.

It will be here sometime Monday. I'll post the results after loading and modding. Fingers Crossed!