SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-07-17, 10:32 AM   #5131
AOTD_MadMax
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 1

Hiho,

thanks for this nice welcome.

After some views on my SSD i found another beauty i have worked on.
It is still not finished, the sil-file should be done.
The PC 461 Class US-Subchaser made by "the frog" for SH3 converted and rebuild with glasses in the bridge for SH4.
Its long time ago i got the permission from the frog to use this ship for FOTRS.

The uploaded file also contents some changes on different Kaibokan-types and on the old US-Corvette.

Here the PC 641 Class

Here the downloadlink for the files :

https://www.file-upload.net/download...Class.rar.html

Pls notice that they have to reworked for FOTRSU.

Regards

Maddy
Old 08-07-17, 10:46 AM   #5132
AOTD_MadMax
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Thanks Max. When you say Pensacola got glasses. Do you mean glass around the bridge or ?
Yes, Glasses around the bridge and interieur in the bridge and the late war version got glasses on the flybridge.
My intention for these changes was to make them playable and for more eyecandy you need these changes.

We from AOTD got the plan to make an multiplayer-Version from FOTRS with several playable normal ships for our online-campaign but this never happend. AOTD doesent survive...............

Regards
Maddy
Old 08-07-17, 10:58 AM   #5133
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelmann
May or may not be a bug. However I consider this unrealistic. I have read about the whole AI running below half max speed sonar detection issue and I think I understand what was said about it. Running a (post download lockdown) version 0.63 FOTRSU and no other mods. 12.23.1941 @ 19:22 hrs. Location is about 18 nm south of a point 50 nm SE of area marked "SA" on the map. Aboard a Tambor sonar reports merchant contact. Free camera, and later visual ID, identify this ship as a lone Big Modern Troop Transport that is steaming roughly SSW at 6.5 knots. I turn to close on the target and eventually sink the ship. Sonar continues to report contact throughout the entire event.

Now for the weird part. At no point, during multiple attempts, am I able to go to the sonar station and get the green lamp to light up during a manual sweep. I can, however, consistently get my sonar man to report contact when I click the sweep button. This happened surfaced, decks awash, and submerged.
It's worth noting that in Fotrs Ultimate, the S-Class, Narwhal, and Porpoise Class will require the sub to be submerged to have the Hydrophone work.....the receiving sensor is positioned on the deck of these subs. At least until Sept. 1, 1942, when both Narwhal and Porpoise get a refit to "Hull" mounted receivers.....the S-Class will still require to be submerge to have the Hydrophone work throughout the war. A Tambor has the "Hull" mount receiver, not requiring a submerged sub for the Hydrophone to work.

I'm the one that has previously stated that if a ship travels below half its Max_Speed setting (found in its .sim file) you won't hear the ship while the player uses the Hydrophone. I've seen this many times in my ship testing. With the stock game, this has proven to be true in most all ship's. I just finished testing specifically the Fotrs Ultimate NPL_Hap (Big Modern Troop Transport) with a Max_Speed=17 kts, and have found this DOES NOT hold true!

In the Mission Editor (with Fotrs Ultimate v0.63 loaded into the stock game) I put two NPL_Hap's in front of a Tambor traveling at different speeds (changing speeds at different waypoint positions). One starting at 6 kts, the other at 12. My expectations was to find the ship traveling at 6 kts to NOT be heard with the Hydrophone, while the 12 kts ship SHOULD be heard. As is always true, my Sonarman picks up both ships using Sonar and reports both....so does the Navigation Map show the ships detected position by having the Sonar lines point to the ships relative position from the sub. BUT, neither of the ships could be heard with Hydrophone use. It wasn't until the ships passed the waypoint where I have both traveling at the Max_Speed of 17 kts would they be heard with the Hydrophone!

So, I looked further into the ships .sim file, comparing it to the stock game (the NPL_Hap is based on the NPL_Horai passenger liner), and other liners of similar size, and have found the problem.

Some time ago I mentioned that the ships "Eng_power" figure and "Eng_rpm" are not only related to the ability to prevent a ship model from having a "jack rabbit" acceleration, but their also related to "hearing" the ship through the Hydrophone. They work hand in hand. The problem is, modders have attempted to control ship acceleration by decreasing engine power......which in-turn makes the ship unheard by the Hydrophone. When I look at the NPL_Hap "Eng_power=685" and compare it to the stock games NPL_Horai "Eng_power=7400", it becomes clear what's going on. The ship's power has dropped so low that the Hydrophone won't pick it up unless the ship is traveling at its Maximum speed setting for the waypoint its traveling. One, effects the other.

As propbeanie pointed out, I've been looking at making a new "ship physics" model for the ships.......to take into account the ships acceleration characteristics, as well has having the Hydrophone work as expected. I have had success in matching them together with a few test ships. It's my hope to do all ships for better maneuverability in turns (I've noticed many times the ships will slow to a crawl when attempting to make a turn) and "ship avoidance"; more realistic acceleration; with the added bonus of having all ships heard with Hydrophone use, at reasonably slow speeds (less than 5 kts) and higher.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 08-07-17 at 11:20 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 02:05 PM   #5134
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOTD_MadMax View Post
Yes, Glasses around the bridge and interieur in the bridge and the late war version got glasses on the flybridge.
My intention for these changes was to make them playable and for more eyecandy you need these changes.

We from AOTD got the plan to make an multiplayer-Version from FOTRS with several playable normal ships for our online-campaign but this never happend. AOTD doesent survive...............

Regards
Maddy
Maddy, it's a great honor to carry on the work of the AOTD and you. You are a 100% full-fledged member of the FOTRSU team, because without your work, ours wouldn't exist at all.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-17, 05:14 PM   #5135
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106
Uploads: 0
gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
have found the problem.
My four favorite words!

Jolly good show!

Thanks again to all of you for developing this mega-mod.

Well over one year ago now, I was in a computing malaise, a doldrums, bored, and wondering how/where I could find something fun on my severely limited budget. I then remembered, many years ago, really enjoying playing Silent Service. I thought to myself that something really good, and affordable, surely must have come along in the decades since. I searched online, read the opinions in articles, found these forums, and purchased for download first SH3 ($9.95), and then SH4 ($19.95). SH4 because I wanted to play a US boat. Let me tell you that is the best 20 bucks that I ever spent on a software package! I say that because of the modding community! You people add tremendous value to that initial purchase. I really appreciate it.

As far as playing FOTRSU I only make two small changes to your work due to personal preference. I drop in TMO menu music because I like the way it seems to portray a building tension, and I modify your time compression limitations back to the full 8196 ceiling that was previously available. The game is 10 years old and so is my computer. But ten years ago this computer was a true beast of the gaming world and it seems to handle 8196 pretty well. Where the situation seems to call for it, then I like to get across the ocean quickly if possible.

For the benefit of those reading, and may be having problems with running the game, I feel that I would be remiss if I failed to mention a few things. First read what is posted in these forms. Programs and utilities. JSGME, Large Address Aware, Multi SH4. The practice of installing in a separate directory, even a separate drive (if available). The keeping of a fresh, un-played, and virgin, installation of SH4. Also telling your Anti-Virus to treat your SH4 executable and game file locations (including your SH4 files that are located in your documents folder) in a hands off manner. These are all essential IMHO.

Additionally I feel that I need to point out that, due to previous forays into flight simulation, I run an extremely stripped down, bare bones, configuration of MS Windows 7 64 bit Professional. I have followed the procedure outlined in the "Nick N Bible" for windows. Just google it and you can find a very detailed procedure to streamline windows. I have also stripped out Windows telemetry. Just search "Tweakhound". As I type this forum posting, my task manager shows that my machine is running a total of 36 processes. If I close the browser it should drop back to something like 33.

You may look at my above comments about my budget, and then later about the computer. You may wonder how the two can be reconciled? Let me tell you that I got lucky. I purchased the mobo as an open box return from Frys Electronics in 2010 (I think?) for less than $15.00 US. Everything else I got used and on the cheap, ebay, etc. The only parts bought new were the case, PSU, and graphics cards.

Thanks for reading my ramblings. And thanks again for all you guys do.

Immelmann

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-17, 09:45 AM   #5136
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default What is the date for the Dials.cfg in .63Beta?

I just noticed the date for Data/Menu/Dials.cfg in my download of .63 and .62 is July 12, 2007! That doesn't seem right but can't resolve that on my system. What should the date be?
Old 08-08-17, 10:38 AM   #5137
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

@ jldjs: The Dials.cfg file is in Data / Menu / cfg / Dials.cfg, and is dated 2007-07-12 at 20:46, and looks to be 15,808 in size... My guess is that it's from TMO v1.7... maybe. That is a "stock" game time stamp though... dunno

@ immelman: Thank you for that. Glad we helped get you out of the doldrums, and some wind caught your sail... tic - subs have a "sail", correct? conning tower? turm?... sorry, bad joke, won't happen again - until the next time... - it's definitely interesting that you've got your Win7 "sails" trimmed in tight to the jib, and cut to catch the best of the wind. I used to do that for my multi-track audio recording boxes, and the video box. Now they're all the same thing as my gaming box, since the horsepower is there in the "modern" computer. I still have some services "killed", but nothing like what we used to have to do back in the XP days with a PentiumIII 800mHz computer that had one gig of RAM, and an AGP video card... - oh, wait! I've still got one of those!!! - what was it then, black viper, or something, was the site to visit? I just searched, and he's still doing it, and has Win10 tips... I never did go as gung-ho as he did - does, I guess...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-17, 04:06 PM   #5138
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

@PB "My guess is that it's from TMO v1.7... maybe." you are right. I just assumed that Dials had been changed in FotRSU, but looks like it was not.
But, I'm keeping my eyes open as I thoroughly enjoy .63B. Thanks to the FotrSU team
Old 08-08-17, 04:44 PM   #5139
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Hiho,

The PC 461 Class US-Subchaser made by "the frog" for SH3 converted and rebuild with glasses in the bridge for SH4.
Its long time ago i got the permission from the frog to use this ship for FOTRS.

The uploaded file also contents some changes on different Kaibokan-types and on the old US-Corvette.

Here the PC 641 Class

Regards

Maddy
looks great Maddy..

will investigate once back from vaction.. on Friday..
Old 08-09-17, 05:12 AM   #5140
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Want to try something with the kamikaze plane and Betty with Baka and Betty Dive.

I have the files from air, roster, textures. Anything in the library folder I would need. Do planes call for any special ordnance in other folders? Im looking but dont see so far.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-17, 05:40 PM   #5141
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Hiho,

Here the PC 641 Class

Regards

Maddy
The master himself!!!

Welcome back
Old 08-09-17, 07:32 PM   #5142
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

Definitely don't stay a stranger, sir AOTD_MadMax (maybe we'll have the Queen make that a capital "S" for Sir)! I've been playing Fall of the Rising Sun of one version or another since what seems like forever in a gaming world. I even did 2.0, just using my high school German to get me through (talk like a parrot, and miss over half of what is said). Looked like being in a movie, sounded like being there!... Ah yesh, I remember it well...

Anyway, what are the chances of you adding some minesweeping gear to that PC 461 Class, and making a PC 1061 Class also?...

ala:

which ended up being PC 1588 (not the class leader, just a decent picture).
http://www.navsource.org/archives/11/02084.htm

http://www.ww2pcsa.org/patrol-craft.html

two for the price of one - well, except for all of that work... |;^)

btw, which link does a person click on on that web site that you have for the download? All I can manage to get is advertisements... thank you!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-17, 10:59 PM   #5143
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Definitely don't stay a stranger, sir AOTD_MadMax (maybe we'll have the Queen make that a capital "S" for Sir)! I've been playing Fall of the Rising Sun of one version or another since what seems like forever in a gaming world. I even did 2.0, just using my high school German to get me through (talk like a parrot, and miss over half of what is said). Looked like being in a movie, sounded like being there!... Ah yesh, I remember it well...

Anyway, what are the chances of you adding some minesweeping gear to that PC 461 Class, and making a PC 1061 Class also?...

ala:

which ended up being PC 1588 (not the class leader, just a decent picture).
http://www.navsource.org/archives/11/02084.htm

http://www.ww2pcsa.org/patrol-craft.html

two for the price of one - well, except for all of that work... |;^)

btw, which link does a person click on on that web site that you have for the download? All I can manage to get is advertisements... thank you!

Prop,

I have mirrored both sets of files on my mediafire account.
Old 08-12-17, 06:30 AM   #5144
s7rikeback
I break things

Default Spies are everywhere.

A few close up on the USN Navy units.

Other small points found:

Planes missing from catapults:
New Orleans x 2
Quincy x 1
Omaha x 1

Possible missing gun:
Montana x 1 (Stern)

Broken Textures:
Nevada (plane on gun)
Tennessee - early (plane on gun)

Will tackle / research gun later after a family day out.
Old 08-12-17, 07:48 AM   #5145
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
A few close up on the USN Navy units.

Other small points found:

Planes missing from catapults:
New Orleans x 2
Quincy x 1
Omaha x 1

Possible missing gun:
Montana x 1 (Stern)

Broken Textures:
Nevada (plane on gun)
Tennessee - early (plane on gun)

Will tackle / research gun later after a family day out.

Lol the japanese gun crews and depth charge crews. I believe that was UBI being lazy and nothing bothering to include allied crews on certain equipment they could make ships share?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote