SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-14-17, 12:53 PM   #2431
thadgar
Watch

Downloads: 80
Uploads: 4
Default Thank You!

Hi gap,
Thank You!
I will try this tonight when I get home.
thadgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-17, 12:55 PM   #2432
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadgar View Post
Hi gap,
Thank You!
I will try this tonight when I get home.
You are the welcome thadgar

Let me know if it works for you. It should be compatible with Wamphyri's mod and with any other mod/megamod.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-17, 07:10 PM   #2433
thadgar
Watch

Downloads: 80
Uploads: 4
Default Ahoy, gap!

It worked perfectly
I loaded your 20mm_C38_Twin_Shield.sim file and...
I shot down a plane!

Thanks again Mate,
thadgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-17, 07:22 PM   #2434
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadgar View Post
It worked perfectly
I loaded your 20mm_C38_Twin_Shield.sim file and...
I shot down a plane!

Thanks again Mate,
Glad it helped
Old 09-10-17, 04:40 PM   #2435
mkiii
Soundman

Downloads: 117
Uploads: 0
Default frustrating

Been playing around with the editor today, initially it was going to be a quick look, 8hrs later! I was a little further along, I eventually managed to import a IX hull into a type VII and get its materials and textures working correctly. It even opened in granny viewer afterwards, which is a minor victory I guess.
It`s just slow work figuring out how things have to be done in the program.
I have a sneaking feeling that getting the meshes and textures in is going to be the easy part though.
mkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-17, 05:17 PM   #2436
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiii View Post
Been playing around with the editor today, initially it was going to be a quick look, 8hrs later! I was a little further along, I eventually managed to import a IX hull into a type VII and get its materials and textures working correctly. It even opened in granny viewer afterwards, which is a minor victory I guess.
I have a sneaking feeling that getting the meshes and textures in is going to be the easy part though.
That sounds really good ! Can we see some screenshots?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 05:00 AM   #2437
mkiii
Soundman

will post some up when/if I get a full sub in, got to see if I can get both scopes working in the ct, the animations will be the biggest problems there.
and the animation for the rear torp outer doors will be another,
Old 09-16-17, 04:33 PM   #2438
mkiii
Soundman

Default a little progress

https://i.imgur.com/MfE2YDp.jpg

thats if the link works, I am still partially computer illiterate.

Last edited by mkiii; 09-16-17 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-16-17, 04:59 PM   #2439
mkiii
Soundman

Default this one works

Old 09-16-17, 05:47 PM   #2440
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
That looks quite promising mkiii!
Is that type IX hull with VIIC41 tower, right?

Don't hesitate to post any questions if needed mate. I'll try to help as much as I can.

I'm really glad to see that you use TWoS as a base for your work as well...
Old 09-16-17, 08:31 PM   #2441
mkiii
Soundman

yes just the IX hull, at the moment trying to make all the IX meshes fit into the 7c/41 gr2, which means learning wings 3d as well as the editor.
been fighting with the deck, its 6 sets of meshes rolled into 1. In wings its fine, in the editor its either inside out, back to front, or upside down, but I now know 3 ways not to do it
Old 09-17-17, 04:05 AM   #2442
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
yes just the IX hull, at the moment trying to make all the IX meshes fit into the 7c/41 gr2, which means learning wings 3d as well as the editor.
been fighting with the deck, its 6 sets of meshes rolled into 1. In wings its fine, in the editor its either inside out, back to front, or upside down, but I now know 3 ways not to do it
Gap loves this stuff... I'm sure he'll offer us some precious advice when he see your posts...
Old 09-19-17, 10:09 AM   #2443
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Gap loves this stuff... I'm sure he'll offer us some precious advice when he see your posts...
Here I am, better late than never

Quote:
Been playing around with the editor today, initially it was going to be a quick look, 8hrs later! I was a little further along
Welcome in the SH geeks club mate

Quote:
I eventually managed to import a IX hull into a type VII and get its materials and textures working correctly. It even opened in granny viewer afterwards, which is a minor victory I guess.
Yes, if after saving you can load it back in GR2 Editor, and it shows up correctly in Granny Viewer and/or in Goblin Editor, you are 99% sure that it will work in game too

Quote:
Well, besides that there is not really much else you can do with the Editor. For me the hardest part is messing with the second UV channel, the one used for ambient occlusion mapping, without screwing it up. Adding/removing materials can be a PITA too. Remove the wrong material, and you will trash in the dust bin your work of days in a matter of minutes.
The key is planning carefully your work before you start, choosing the most suitable GR2 file that you will work on (according to the number of submeshes you want your model to have, the type of texture maps it will use) etc, and making many back up copies of your work

Quote:
will post some up when/if I get a full sub in, got to see if I can get both scopes working in the ct, the animations will be the biggest problems there.
and the animation for the rear torp outer doors will be another,
Unfortunately the granny animation format is still unknown, so you cannot have animated GR2 files in game. Anyway, IIRC, periscopes have no trasform data (they are raised/lowered by means of the extesible controller). As for torpedo doors, you can link type VII's doors to your model if they fit with it, or you can store your custom torpedo door model in an animated dat file. Though with some limitations, you can mix dat and GR2 objects (again, if memory serves me well, the doors will look completely black)...

Quote:
Once you get used to its contextual menu systen, Wings is pretty easy to use, and there are some video turorials on the most common functuions on youtube. In any case, feel free to ask here if you need for help by the community

Quote:
If your 3D editing program of election is Wings3D (but I think the same goes for Blender, Max, Maya, and the most common 3D software), you should flip your models along the x axis before importing them in game. Face normals should be pointing in the same direction as in Wings3D, I don't get why your model is inside-out
Old 09-19-17, 10:48 AM   #2444
mkiii
Soundman

Thanks Gap, it was the Normals, figured it out eventually, after hitting the text books, I think the torp doors will be doable using the existing files, if I can move the meshes and bones, not tried yet though. and thanks for the handy hints and tips, much appreciated mate.
Old 09-19-17, 11:43 AM   #2445
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Thanks Gap, it was the Normals, figured it out eventually, after hitting the text books
As I said, if face normals point in the right directions in Wings3D, they do in game too

Quote:
I think the torp doors will be doable using the existing files, if I can move the meshes and bones, not tried yet though.
Yes, you can move around bones at wish. Bone position unit is the same as vertex coordinates in most 3D editors; 0.1 units = 1 m (in game).

Quote:
...and thanks for the handy hints and tips, much appreciated mate.
My pleasure mkiii. Keep on the good work and don't hesitate getting in touch again if you need any other information