SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-15-11, 12:19 PM   #1501
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvadoreno View Post
Hey guys

Why cant the silent running slow sinking be utilized with GWX?
If I am not mistaking it could with a quick change of the mass of the boat in each sub.sim file.Could easily be modded in for those that want it.

But the thing is from what I gather...I think that silent running actually might cause the boat to surface instead of submerge.Uboats have a negative tank that is rapidly filled with water as soon as dive is ordered and filled again very quickly the instant the boat is submerged.They did this for safety reason.It forces a "slight" bouyancy so that the sub will surface if you say lose your compressed air to fill the ballast with.actually though as long as you have some forward movement I think the boat is easily kept below the surface since slightly positive buoyancy is easily countered with slow speed when near the surface.

From the site I found info at....

""In diving quickly, the negative tank is important. By flooding this tank the submarine becomes negatively buoyant. This gets the boat under water quicker. Once submerged, though, the negative tank will be blown or pumped out, to restore neutral buoyancy. You want to be heavier than water as you dive, but you don't want to stay that way once you're under. If the negative tank remained full and all power was lost the boat would quickly sink below crush depth and kill everyone aboard.""

Last edited by Wolfstriked; 06-15-11 at 01:26 PM.
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 12:27 PM   #1502
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

New post as I didn't want this to get lost in post below.Hsie,I think what would be good to fix is to remove the "radio damaged/radio repaired sir"...."hydroplanes damaged/hydroplanes repaired sir" etc.

With the realistic repair times mod you still see a ton of these messages and ruins the feel when things get fixed a second later.Since they have no effect on the game I think a removal of this info would benefit the patch.
Old 06-15-11, 12:34 PM   #1503
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Wolfstriked I think you can disable them by deleting this entry in the menu.text file:

Quote:
707=%s repaired, sir!
and leaving it blank.
Old 06-15-11, 12:41 PM   #1504
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

@Wolfstriked: Is equipment is repaired seconds later, there is something wrong. Or you have only insignificant damage. Normally, equipment should take hours now to be repaired (and also the message, that certain equipment has been repaired). Exception: Compartments - they still take minutes, because they are coupled inseparable with the flooding recovery.
Old 06-15-11, 12:45 PM   #1505
h.sie
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvadoreno View Post
Hey guys

Why cant the silent running slow sinking be utilized with GWX?
For a certain reason, Stiebler made the periscopes longer in NYGM in order to make the SR mod run properly (I don't remember details). GWX doesn't have these longer periscopes, so I assume that could cause problems.

But you can try it out. If you don't see any problems - there is no problem.
Old 06-15-11, 01:24 PM   #1506
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
@Wolfstriked: Is equipment is repaired seconds later, there is something wrong. Or you have only insignificant damage. Normally, equipment should take hours now to be repaired (and also the message, that certain equipment has been repaired). Exception: Compartments - they still take minutes, because they are coupled inseparable with the flooding recovery.
Hsie,realistic repair works fine and takes hours to repair damage though I use NYGM(whats the difference between the two?).What I am talking about is the damage tied in with the individual compartments that takes seconds(minutes actually I exaggerate slightly) to repair if a person is in that room.What Hitman advised would work and maybe you decide if it will be in next version...or...maybe you like the small damage messages that get repaired quickly.
Old 06-15-11, 01:47 PM   #1507
h.sie
Admiral

@Wolf: If you use NYGM, Stiebler recommends NOT to use my Realistic Repair Times Fix, since NYGM has its own damage model.
Old 06-15-11, 01:49 PM   #1508
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Quote:
@Wolf: If you use NYGM, Stiebler recommends NOT to use my Realistic Repair Times Fix, since NYGM has its own damage model.
Gotcha,yes I disabled it in the options.
Old 06-15-11, 02:04 PM   #1509
KarlKoch
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

h.sie:

One think i always bothered with in SH3: Ships accelerating and changing course way too fast.
Is there maybe anything that can be done about that in the SH3.exe?
Is it worth trying at all? Its not like it happens every second ship you encounter, but everytime i try to shoot the stationary ship in the tutorial mission, i have to laugh.

Just an idea, i can live happily ever after if nothing will change.
Old 06-15-11, 03:25 PM   #1510
h.sie
Admiral

@KarlKoch: Ship acceleration is already on my growing todo list. In the meantime try Thomsens Ships. It's for GWX if I'm informed correctly and reduces ships acceleration and deceleration as well as turning radiuses.
Old 06-15-11, 03:54 PM   #1511
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Quote:
@KarlKoch: Ship acceleration is already on my growing todo list. In the meantime try Thomsens Ships. It's for GWX if I'm informed correctly and reduces ships acceleration and deceleration as well as turning radiuses.
Didn't he cut the engine horsepower in half.This causes the ships to not reach their top speeds in many cases.Then he upped the drag drastically which also causes reduction in their speed,especially turning.This then causes their turning radius to grow by large amount since ships speed determines turning speed.That said I think he pulled the ship acceleration tweak from his ships mod due to above reason.Could be wrong here.

What could be done though is instead of putting drag very high just drop the COG for each ship down very low.This way you can use super low drag settings to control the "horrible" excessive pitch/sway of the boats.Now you have a bit more control for turn radius since you have less forces slowing the boats down in a turn....basically its just the engine power now.Then just play with rudder drag for the turn speed you want.For ship top speed you can then test a ship on 0-wind ocean and see what speed it hits at flank speed setting.If it goes over or under its max speed you can drop or raise the horsepower to compensate.

Its a huge undertaking but all the ships could be made very realistic.
Old 06-15-11, 04:35 PM   #1512
KarlKoch
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I know Thomsens Ships and i used them quite some time ago, but i remember there were incompatibilities with other mods i wanted to use. So i stopped using Thomsens Ships because it was the least downside in my opinion. But great to see its on your list.
I am happily reading every post from you in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstriked View Post
Didn't he cut the engine horsepower in half.This causes the ships to not reach their top speeds in many cases.Then he upped the drag drastically which also causes reduction in their speed,especially turning.This then causes their turning radius to grow by large amount since ships speed determines turning speed.That said I think he pulled the ship acceleration tweak from his ships mod due to above reason.Could be wrong here.

What could be done though is instead of putting drag very high just drop the COG for each ship down very low.This way you can use super low drag settings to control the "horrible" excessive pitch/sway of the boats.Now you have a bit more control for turn radius since you have less forces slowing the boats down in a turn....basically its just the engine power now.Then just play with rudder drag for the turn speed you want.For ship top speed you can then test a ship on 0-wind ocean and see what speed it hits at flank speed setting.If it goes over or under its max speed you can drop or raise the horsepower to compensate.

Its a huge undertaking but all the ships could be made very realistic.
Problem with that approach is, that it will break every single formation of ships and every traffic in port, because the AI is not considering the changes in its decisions. If however, it is anyhow possible to change the acceleration and turnrate in the AI-routines, everything would still work. At least its what i think at the moment. I am afraid that i look at this way too easy. But i have no insight in any routines there.
Old 06-15-11, 06:03 PM   #1513
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKoch View Post
Problem with that approach is, that it will break every single formation of ships and every traffic in port, because the AI is not considering the changes in its decisions. If however, it is anyhow possible to change the acceleration and turnrate in the AI-routines, everything would still work. At least its what i think at the moment. I am afraid that i look at this way too easy. But i have no insight in any routines there.
I see your point.
Old 06-16-11, 01:44 PM   #1514
pelucho25
Loader

Downloads: 1395

Hello I wonder if this patch can be upgraded from one version to another post. Example: V15F3 to V15G1. What you should do if we have an older version and want to update? It would be a bit annoying having to uninstall everything and start over. Are a god thank you very much.
pelucho25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 02:26 PM   #1515
h.sie
Admiral

@pelucho:

An unhumble wish. For you it would take the same time (about 1-7 minutes) to update either from unmodded sh3.exe or from V15F to the last version V15G. For me, every Patch-Kit takes hours to configure. There are better ways for me to waste my time. So maybe another person wants to update from V15B to V15E1? Or from V15A to V15F2? A downgrade option would also be nice!!

I think I spider (Ich glaube, ich spinne!)

Last edited by h.sie; 06-16-11 at 03:06 PM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote