SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-15-19, 05:26 PM   #8161
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post

Above is the install folder from SH4 v1.5. You'll notice that I've placed the JSGME, MultiSh4, Large Address Aware utilities in the folder also. I use this as as a template to create multiple copies of FOTRSU using the MultiSh4. This saves you the time of having to uninstall and reinstall SH4 every time a new Beta version of FOTRSU comes out. I use the following proceedure.

1. Create a separate folder, labeling it so you know what it is. Do a copy and paste of the SH4 game files (template) into this folder.

2. Once the copy and paste of the SH4 games files is down activate the JSGME to get your mod folder installed.

3. Put the version of FOTRSU you are going to use in the mod folder and activate it.

4. Once the FOTRSU is installed, activate the LAA and MultiSh4.

5. Make any other adjustments as you like. Then go sink ships.

I use this method all the time, it saves alot of time and usually only takes a few minutes to accomplish. It can be used for any of the mega mods or any mods for SH4 that have been made. Hope this helps you guys out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Technically, yes you should use a "fresh" install. I put the word "fresh" in quotes, because I do like cdrsubron7, and have myself a zip file of "FreshSH4", which is a copy of the interior of the "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific" folder on my hard drive, so it's not really a true, fresh install. I create my new folder (such as "FotRSUv81"), and copy the FreshSH4 zip file into it. Unzip that, which has a MODS folder, but no JSGME ini or backup files, but does have JSGME itself, as well as LAA and MultiSH4. I then do all the set-up for the game and the mod, and I'm up and running inside of 30 minutes (never have officially timed that though)...

The reason behind the "fresh" install is that we don't trust ourselves or our modding to leave a "clean" game install after JSGME de-activates the mod (witness what happens with TMO - not forgetting that all sorts of mayhem can happen with a computer). Although, in theory anyway, if you use the JSGME "Generate snapshot of game files", you can check the result when you de-activate the old mod version... but the "fresh" install is just as fast, and more "sure"... The most important part is emptying the Save folder.
I would just like to also add, that like cdrsubron7 & propbeanie, I also use a zip / template of a clean stock game directory. So i just extract the contents into my new folder, rename, then add the bits that I need including the mega mod of choice.
Old 05-16-19, 09:25 AM   #8162
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
I would just like to also add, that like cdrsubron7 & propbeanie, I also use a zip / template of a clean stock game directory. So i just extract the contents into my new folder, rename, then add the bits that I need including the mega mod of choice.
I thank you gentlemen.

Actually, when I do a "fresh" install I too have a "pristine" version of SH4 updated to v1.5 in a separate folder on my E: drive, although I never thought of zipping it to save space. I delete the SH4 folder from My Documents as previously stated, then delete the Silent_Hunter_IV live game folder from my D:\Games\Ubisoft folder, and then copy the pristine version directly to that folder. As you say, it is faster by far than having to reload the game by installing from disk or wherever. I then set up the JSGME, run LAA and add the FOTRSU version and go.

I was just wanting to make sure the copy approach was ok as compared to the uninstall/reinstall process. Thanks for clarifying.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-19, 11:05 AM   #8163
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Yes, copying the install works fine. All you are after is a "known quantity" as far as the game goes. Known-clean files. Creating the zip file also speeds up the copy and / or move process. Hard drive space does not cost the premium it used to in the DOS / Win31 & 95 days, before the dawn of the gigabyte.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-19, 05:07 PM   #8164
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Yes, copying the install works fine. All you are after is a "known quantity" as far as the game goes. Known-clean files. Creating the zip file also speeds up the copy and / or move process. Hard drive space does not cost the premium it used to in the DOS / Win31 & 95 days, before the dawn of the gigabyte.
Mine is in a zip format primarily to protect it from me when noodling. I have a very bad habit of cut & paste - So I always used to lose half my files. So i figured I'd zip it up, and then I drag out what I need, while still keeping the original content intact and together..

Last edited by s7rikeback; 05-17-19 at 02:41 AM.
s7rikeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-19, 08:15 PM   #8165
patton610
Swabbie

Downloads: 11

Well I thought I had this figured. The game boots up fine ... all the menus and such work but when it comes to rendering it conks out. The museum does not work etc anything that requires the in game graphics seems to prompt a series of errors the only specific on of which mentioned fog. Any ideas? Vanilla game works. I have a steam version as well as the uboat add on
patton610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-19, 09:10 PM   #8166
propbeanie

Well patton610, tell us a bit about your computer and where you installed the game. ie: "I've got a Windows 7 32-bit OS running on an old AMD Thunderbird board with 2 gig of ram, and an nVidia 6200 AGP graphics card. I've got Steam installed in C:\Program Files, but the SH4 games are in a separate "Library Folder" on the 2nd hard drive" - Also tell us whether or not you had emptied your Save folder, and if you have a 64-bit OS, if you activated LAA successfully on the SH4.exe file.

I mention a computer like that, because I've got one with specs like that, and the mod doesn't run very well on it. It does run, but I have to stay at the periscope or NavMap etc., the 2D stations, in order to be able to play. On a Win7 64-bit machine with a CoreDuo quad, 8 gig of ram and an nVidia 560, it does excellent.

Old 05-16-19, 11:48 PM   #8167
patton610
Swabbie

Downloads: 11

well it seems to run now i messed around with the order of the installation steps... the first post was a bit misleading "do A." I do A. "But..... Do B before A" ....... once I went back and undid everything and restarted it worked. I have a middling 2 in1 laptop that is by no means a powerhouse but handles games like wows and such without much trouble. think technically its an 8th gen i5 with better than average integrated graphics. I'll check back in if i have more issues but it.... seems.... ok now.
patton610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-19, 06:11 AM   #8168
propbeanie

An i5 is more than adequate to run SH4. I had a first gen i3 with onboard Intel graphics, and it did fine. The game itself runs fine where ever you install it, but if you're going to apply mods, then you have to be outside of the Windows' "Program Files" folders, which Windows protects from "un-autorized" alteration, such as what applying mods does. A Steam install can complicate things, but doing what Steam Support suggests in Moving a Steam Installation and Games are the best ways to move the game install. It also helps if you have a 64-bit OS and use the Large Address Aware (LAA) utility app to set the SH4.exe file to enable access to more RAM. CapnScurvy has a thorough write-up concerning its use in Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install, which also applies with other versions of Windows with slight alterations. If you do have any further issues, give a shout.

Old 05-18-19, 12:01 PM   #8169
Krieg Francis
Medic

Downloads: 226

I'm experiencing a total absence of fire on board of hit ships.
This goes both for torpedo and deck gun attacks, but I remember FORTSU worked fine last week, when I last played it

https://imgur.com/LTnBpVs
This is a picture taken after a shot that split the freighter in two. Never seen these effects in FORTSU, feels like something is not being rendered the right way.

My game version is 1.5
Folder is C:/Ubisoft
Mod installed is FORTSU only.

I have already tried to reinstall everything from scratch, deleting all folders and stuff, but sadly nothing changed.

I'm in your hands people, this bug is really ruining the experience for me...

Note: this issue seems to affect ships and subs only. Planes seem to explode fine.
for SH4
Krieg Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-19, 03:02 PM   #8170
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

April 1944. I accepted the Gar class submarine based at Midway. Once again I have to repurchase any upgrade but I found one thing odd. There is no longer a 20mm or 40mm option. Once I got the Gar it is .50 cal. only for AA like at the beginning of the career.

Clean install by Scurvy's instructions.

Ver 1.5
JSGME
FOTRSU

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-19, 06:08 PM   #8171
propbeanie

Thanks for that merc4ulfate. We'll double-check the new build for that, but CapnScurvy re-did all of that sort of thing for this next release, as noted in Post #8075. Rockin Robbins is teaching himself new words as he re-builds his computer, and hopefully everything has / is gone / going smoothly, and he has a new build (computer / mod) shortly (fingers crossed)...

Last edited by propbeanie; 05-18-19 at 09:39 PM. Reason: linkie shminkie - bracket left, bracket right... sheesh! Who typed this!!!
Old 05-18-19, 09:30 PM   #8172
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieg Francis View Post
I'm experiencing a total absence of fire on board of hit ships.
This goes both for torpedo and deck gun attacks, but I remember FORTSU worked fine last week, when I last played it

https://imgur.com/LTnBpVs
This is a picture taken after a shot that split the freighter in two. Never seen these effects in FORTSU, feels like something is not being rendered the right way.

My game version is 1.5
Folder is C:/Ubisoft
Mod installed is FORTSU only.

I have already tried to reinstall everything from scratch, deleting all folders and stuff, but sadly nothing changed.

I'm in your hands people, this bug is really ruining the experience for me...

Note: this issue seems to affect ships and subs only. Planes seem to explode fine.

Hello Krieg Francis

You know when I first started working with the FOTRSU mod team and started playing the FOTRSU I didn't like the way the flames were modded in the game either. I had just come from TMO and liked the way the flames were modded in it. After working with the FOTRSU mod for quite awhile now I think the way the flames are modded in FOTRSU are quite kewl looking. The flames are there sometimes you just don't see them sometimes because of all the smoke. Some examples below.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-19, 09:34 PM   #8173
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Judy Dive Bombers Night Vision

I've see a lot here on the AI and incredible vision capabilities, and I've pretty much accepted it. However, having Judy's zero in on me while on a course that should have passed me by over six miles away, in the middle of a pitch black night, while I'm running at periscope depth and nothing showing above the surface, is a bit much.

It is June 1944, and I'm in a Sargo off the mouth of Bungo Suido intercepting one tanker after another along the West shore when BAM! I get bombed when I'm at at 100'. Another one gets me when I'm running at PD, scope down, again in the middle of hte night. I finally had to say "screw it", call Battle Stations, surface, man the AA guns (40mm) and paste the little bugger. Felt good, but only intensified the number of attacks from then on. This kept up until I was good and clear of Bungo Suido and headed back to Fremantle via the Philippines, Celebes Sea, Makassar Strait, etc.

It seems the only ones that will attack at night are the Judy's, and they come with a vengeance. Is that what you had planned to happen? I was feeling like I was in a Uboat in Biscay Bay about this same time period, but I had no snorkel, and the damn Judy's would have attacked anyway.

Sheesh!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-19, 09:03 AM   #8174
propbeanie

I'll do some experiments with that later today torpedobait, and "see" what I see. I do have some questions though, for some clarification... First of all, how much or how little of time compression did you use to get to your location? Did you do any game Saves enroute, prior to and after contact, etc.?

and now, for a Cary Grant imitation, courtesy of Goober, of an imminent dive bomber attack

Old 05-21-19, 03:49 AM   #8175
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I prefer that over the real life fairy that was Cary Grant.