Uploads: 0

Well man city JUST managed to win the FA cup by thrashing watford 6-0
Old 05-19-19, 06:30 AM   #1982
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

More akin to a cricket score.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-19, 01:02 PM   #1983
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Domestic treble, well good on 'em. That's very difficult to do, as it's the first in the Premier League era. So congrats to City and may it all fall apart in the next 6 months.

I envision a summer of United-bashing. I made the point earlier that it seemed to me that Ole thinks that all United need to do to return the club to the elite is to recreate the '99 team. Not only are they looking at speedy young Welsh wingers and have brought back Mike Phelan, but their new kit reveal revealed a kit just like.... the '99 kit!

Even I didn't see that one coming At least they're all-in on this.

I've said before in this thread that as good as football is, as fun as it is to follow, that the summer is often just as entertaining. The fact that football clubs sell their players, as opposed to say trading them, means you have far more rumor, and even transactions than in most sports. And United are aiming high!

What I find interesting is on one hand you have United, a club with a long sparkling history, a huge name on the world stage. On the other hand, it's a club in crisis, in disarray, poorly managed and with no Champion's League on offer. Many players are leaving, and others are not up to standard. So it looks like you essentially need a new team. The two players that are probably best-regarded around Europe, Pogba and De Gea, both appear headed out the door.

And speaking of Pogba, United are reportedly offering him the captaincy. On the face of it, it looks are desperate move. If he wants to go, do they really think an armband is going to change his mind? Do they even think he is captain material? Not if the reports I read are any indication. They are doing it simply to entice him to stay, which means the captaincy has no real value. And frankly it really doesn't in modern football, but English supporters put an elevated importance on it. So it strikes me as United offering out the captaincy as if it were a contract bonus.

But back to recruitment.... They're after Longstaff it appears, for the Toon supporters around here. And just about everyone with a world-class reputation. I won't go in to my thoughts about United's team-building methods (but you can bet they are not favorable), but I have to wonder how many of today's stars will see United as an attractive destination?

Last summer began with United's manager bemoaning how poor his squad was. A self-fulfilling prophecy perhaps? This summer should prove even more interesting, as United seek to recruit an entirely new side, and more than that, one capable of hanging with Liverpool and City. Solksjaer has a huge job ahead. It will be interesting to run the rule over the playing squad once the window slams shut.

United are on the edge of becoming Liverpool 20 years ago. A club that felt their history, standing and reputation would count for far more than it does. They fell on hard times. They've picked themselves up. Will United? I suspect that it will keep me entertained for months to come.
Old 05-23-19, 06:19 AM   #1984
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Yes, it is being reported that Manure are after Longstaff, it is also being reported TOON are to offer Longstaff a mega deal for him to stay.

Under Ashleys ownership, I somehow doubt it

Old 05-23-19, 12:22 PM   #1985
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

It's so hard for a club like Newcastle to hold on to players when big teams come calling. Heads get turned eh?

But a player like Longstaff needs to see that he will get more playing time, and as a result improve faster staying on Tyneside. You see it too often, that a promising young player gets a 'dream move' to a big-six club then rides the pine or gets his time with the under-23s or reserves.

Remember Steve Sidwell? A good young player who went to Chelsea and hardly played. It's a particular problem for English players, as they are sometimes bought as much for their home-grown status as their ability. When you see Jonny Evans touted as being wanted by Man City you wonder if it's just to have a squad that conforms to the league rules. Don't you?

I see Ayoze is also in the sights of several bigger clubs. Newcastle must keep their best players and add to them. Losing these players will not help them move in to the top half of the table, or challenge for Europe, which is what I would guess is what Toon supporters would be happy with?

Anyone have a prediction for the CL final? I have skin in this game, but I am going with Liverpool 3-1. After last year's heartbreak and then this year's title race, a win in Madrid would be so nice.

But that of course means I am doomed.
Old 05-24-19, 02:24 AM   #1986
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post

Anyone have a prediction for the CL final? I have skin in this game, but I am going with Liverpool 3-1. After last year's heartbreak and then this year's title race

Liverpool to win 3-0 will be my bet
Old 05-24-19, 04:57 AM   #1987
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
It's so hard for a club like Newcastle to hold on to players when big teams come calling. Heads get turned eh?

But a player like Longstaff needs to see that he will get more playing time, and as a result improve faster staying on Tyneside. You see it too often, that a promising young player gets a 'dream move' to a big-six club then rides the pine or gets his time with the under-23s or reserves.

Remember Steve Sidwell? A good young player who went to Chelsea and hardly played. It's a particular problem for English players, as they are sometimes bought as much for their home-grown status as their ability. When you see Jonny Evans touted as being wanted by Man City you wonder if it's just to have a squad that conforms to the league rules. Don't you?

I see Ayoze is also in the sights of several bigger clubs. Newcastle must keep their best players and add to them. Losing these players will not help them move in to the top half of the table, or challenge for Europe, which is what I would guess is what Toon supporters would be happy with?

Anyone have a prediction for the CL final? I have skin in this game, but I am going with Liverpool 3-1. After last year's heartbreak and then this year's title race, a win in Madrid would be so nice.

But that of course means I am doomed.
The issue I have with the top clubs is the fact they often buy players not to olay them but rather to stop their rivals buying them.

As for the CL I'm also going for a Liverpool win but a much closer result of 2-1

Old 05-24-19, 09:51 AM   #1988
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Looking forward to the Sunderland v Charlton Division 1 play off final and hoping for a similar result to that of the 1998 game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_F...play-off_Final

Old 05-26-19, 07:30 AM   #1989
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Less than two hours to go

Old 05-27-19, 01:54 AM   #1990
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

Well done Charlton and in particually Lee Bowyer, one of my favourite players when he played for Leeds.
Old 05-27-19, 06:01 AM   #1991
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossMark View Post
Well done Charlton and in particually Lee Bowyer, one of my favourite players when he played for Leeds.
One things for sure, Leeds won't be playing the LALAS next season

Old 05-27-19, 06:03 AM   #1992
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Please God, let there be some truth in this

Quote:
Dubai-based billionaire Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan has held talks about buying Newcastle but there is some way to go for any deal to be agreed, Sky Sports News understands.

Senior sources at the club are refusing to comment on a report in The Sun which suggests Mike Ashley has agreed to sell Newcastle for £350m to the cousin of Manchester City's Arab owner Sheikh Mansour.

It is understood there has been interest from Sheikh Khaled in the purchase but there is some way to go before any deal is finalised.

Sheikh Khaled is a senior member of the Abu Dhabi royal family and last year failed in a £2bn takeover of Liverpool.
https://www.skysports.com/football/n...-talks-ongoing

Old 05-27-19, 02:03 PM   #1993
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The rumours are getting stronger as the day goes on.

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley is in talks to sell the club to Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the UAE billionaire's investment group has said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48420387

Old 05-27-19, 02:58 PM   #1994
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Another oil-soaked club eh? Rafa'd have plenty of money to spend then.

Saint James Park presented by Saudia

Congrats to Villa. Holding on to Grealish was the best thing they did all year. Now, maybe they can keep him.
Old 05-28-19, 05:24 AM   #1995
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I'm not totally convinced, we've been here before at identical points in time, transfer budget talks etc. but this time you also have to factor in contract talks.

Tags
british football