SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-07-18, 09:01 PM   #1
Razoorback22
Swabbie

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0
radar SH4 Will not launch.

Good day fellow skippers.

I have been playing Silent Hunter 4 for a good while, never had a problem with the game until here recently.

I installed a new GPU (Asus GT210) on to my PC and tried to launch SH4, but to no avail. I know its a low-end card but I am saving money until my move to Europe, I digress.

For some reason, if I take the card out it runs on the CPUs onboard graphics... Core 2 Quad 3.0GHZ.

I own the Steam version of SH4 and have tried checking the integrity of the game files and it comes back as A-OK.

Could anyone please help me with a solution? Thank you very much!

System specs:

Windows 10 Pro.

ASUS GT210 (Overclocked.)

Core 2 Quad running at 3.GHz.

4gb RAM.

1tb HDD @7200RPM.

Razoorback22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-18, 03:52 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi R22
Change the GPU Scaling Mode to > Aspect Ratio.
Change the GPU Scaling Mode to perform on > GPU
Run your SH4.exe as an administrator.
Make sure it is not showing “Read only”.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-18, 08:10 PM   #3
Razoorback22
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi R22
Change the GPU Scaling Mode to > Aspect Ratio.
Change the GPU Scaling Mode to perform on > GPU
Run your SH4.exe as an administrator.
Make sure it is not showing “Read only”.
Peter

Hello! thanks for the response. I went into the SH4.exe and changed it to the recommended options.

Went into Nvidia Control Panel changed those settings to the ones suggested. But to no avail.

The game acts like its gonna start but then quits right before launch.

Anything else I could do?
Old 08-08-18, 10:33 PM   #4
MK2
Loader

Downloads: 205

Did you try setting a lower resolution or a different one in the configuration file ?
MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-18, 01:49 AM   #5
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

In your sh4 exe properties/compatibility, you can tick (or untick) the box for high reso screen (the one just above the admin box)

That did it for me
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-18, 03:19 PM   #6
Razoorback22
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2 View Post
Did you try setting a lower resolution or a different one in the configuration file ?

Yes, sir! I did. still getting asked if I am sure I want to launch the game and then nothing.
Old 08-09-18, 03:20 PM   #7
Razoorback22
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
In your sh4 exe properties/compatibility, you can tick (or untick) the box for high reso screen (the one just above the admin box)

That did it for me

Still nothing man. Think I might uninstall and wait for my new PC.

Old 08-09-18, 07:46 PM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoorback22 View Post
I have been playing Silent Hunter 4 for a good while, never had a problem with the game until here recently.

I installed a new GPU (Asus GT210) on to my PC and tried to launch SH4, but to no avail. I know its a low-end card but I am saving money until my move to Europe, I digress.

For some reason, if I take the card out it runs on the CPUs onboard graphics... Core 2 Quad 3.0GHZ.

I own the Steam version of SH4 and have tried checking the integrity of the game files and it comes back as A-OK.

Could anyone please help me with a solution? Thank you very much!

System specs:

Windows 10 Pro.
ASUS GT210 (Overclocked.)
Core 2 Quad running at 3.GHz.
4gb RAM.
1tb HDD @7200RPM.
Have you tried running the card without over-clocking? Have you tried re-installing the game and DirectX9c? You are going from an Intel graphics to a GeForce, so I don't know if that would make that much of a difference in what is in the DirectX dll files or not, but you might have to re-do that...

Where exactly is the game "crashing"? Do you get the Ubisoft splash, then the Uboats screen? Do you get to the main menu?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-18, 08:05 PM   #9
Razoorback22
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Have you tried running the card without over-clocking? Have you tried re-installing the game and DirectX9c? You are going from an Intel graphics to a GeForce, so I don't know if that would make that much of a difference in what is in the DirectX dll files or not, but you might have to re-do that...

Where exactly is the game "crashing"? Do you get the Ubisoft splash, then the Uboats screen? Do you get to the main menu?...

Ahoy! No sir, I have not tried that, going to set my GPU to its stock speed, see if it helps.

Would make sense to download the directX9 Is there any specific folder I have to put this in (DirectX9) or just download it?

On Steam it gives me a message saying "Preparing for Launch" along with my CD key then nothing after that. No splash screen or nothing.

I am thinking its gotta be a GPU issue as it would at least start with only the CPU onboard.
Old 08-09-18, 09:15 PM   #10
propbeanie

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=35

Taken from Peter's (THEBERBSTER) link found in SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS -STICKY INDEX thread...

The overclocking might be affecting some timing thingie, though I doubt that, but going back to a stock setting eliminates the possibility. Not getting to the Ubi splash screen is different, though it is a Steam game... I've got SH3 and 5 on Steam, but not 4, so I don't know for certain if you'd get the "splash" or not... you might be failing on the Steam hardware check, and might have to re-install the game.

Also, Steam will say your SH4 install is OK, but it doesn't check for DirectX stuff. Apparently, nothing can find the "compatibility" layer for an old game on a new OS. The game was written in the days of WinXP with DirectX v9c, and now it's Win10 and DirectX v12 (or whatever). The parts of DirectX that Silent Hunter needs are not found in DirectX v10 even. Only in DirectX v9c... Installing 9c will not overwrite the v12 on the machine now. All it does is add another dll to the list...

Order of attack by degree of simplicity:
1. Temporarily go back to "stock" vid card timings
2. Re-install DirectX v9c
3. Re-install the game (and DirectX 9c) via Steam

My guess is #3 (hardware change), but we'll see.

Old 08-10-18, 10:55 AM   #11
Razoorback22
Swabbie

Quote:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=35

Taken from Peter's (THEBERBSTER) link found in SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS -STICKY INDEX thread...

The overclocking might be affecting some timing thingie, though I doubt that, but going back to a stock setting eliminates the possibility. Not getting to the Ubi splash screen is different, though it is a Steam game... I've got SH3 and 5 on Steam, but not 4, so I don't know for certain if you'd get the "splash" or not... you might be failing on the Steam hardware check, and might have to re-install the game.

Also, Steam will say your SH4 install is OK, but it doesn't check for DirectX stuff. Apparently, nothing can find the "compatibility" layer for an old game on a new OS. The game was written in the days of WinXP with DirectX v9c, and now it's Win10 and DirectX v12 (or whatever). The parts of DirectX that Silent Hunter needs are not found in DirectX v10 even. Only in DirectX v9c... Installing 9c will not overwrite the v12 on the machine now. All it does is add another dll to the list...

Order of attack by degree of simplicity:
1. Temporarily go back to "stock" vid card timings
2. Re-install DirectX v9c
3. Re-install the game (and DirectX 9c) via Steam

My guess is #3 (hardware change), but we'll see.

After being up for 5 hours last night, messing with files. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game. Did the Direcx9 as has been suggested. It's still the same!

Unless someone wants to remotely take over my PC, I have no clue on what else to do. I am in contact with Ubisoft support at the moment and can update on a hopefully good outcome.

Sorry guys this nuke can work on reactors but not figure out how to fix a 10-year-old game

P.S
Thank you all for trying to help me!
Old 08-10-18, 12:14 PM   #12
propbeanie

Well, 10 year old game on a one year old Operating System... It could be the video card driver in the Windows Update prior to the most recent... maybe... - I thought it was going to be the Steam license failing, since you could see the CD-R key, but then nothing, and since you'd changed video cards... but alas, not so. Is the game still stopping in the same place, right after you see the key flash by? After that happens, does the Silent Hunter icon on the Task Bar close? Or is it still there?

Old 08-10-18, 04:33 PM   #13
Razoorback22
Swabbie

Quote:
Well, 10 year old game on a one year old Operating System... It could be the video card driver in the Windows Update prior to the most recent... maybe... - I thought it was going to be the Steam license failing, since you could see the CD-R key, but then nothing, and since you'd changed video cards... but alas, not so. Is the game still stopping in the same place, right after you see the key flash by? After that happens, does the Silent Hunter icon on the Task Bar close? Or is it still there?

I have noticed that when it asked: "Are you sure you want to launch this program" it say's "PUBLISHER UNKNOWN" I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

But in Steam when I click play it turn my avatar green (in-game color) then a few seconds later nothing at all just back to the blue avatar on Steam, If I go to the game files and try to launch SH4.Exe my loading wheel on the mouse turns for a few seconds then nothing, at all. Nothing on the taskbar.

I am however thinking of just re installing Windows 10.

When I do download Steam is there any tips on where to put the game library? I hear there is a problem with putting SH4 in the X86 directory.
Old 08-10-18, 08:30 PM   #14
propbeanie

I shudder to think about a Windows re-install, unless you've got a slip-treamed copy with all of the updates. I used to think Win7 re-installs were bad, but MS turned the heat up to solar-intensity from a 10 mile distance... I would avoid that. Steam isn't exactly the easiest thing to re-install either, and if you do that, Steam ~has~ to go in the Program Files directories. Once it's installed though, you do want to 'Manage' your game Library, and put that in a directory that is not 'protected' by Windows, which includes the User folders, Program Files folders, and the whole Windows folder structure, among others. Once you have Steam installed, and prior to installing any games, use the Steam desktop app on your computer (not online) to create a folder for your games. Then choose that folder for the download / install...

Old 08-10-18, 10:03 PM   #15
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1328

Razoorback22 which file path of Steam?