SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-08-21, 06:14 PM   #1
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 257
Uploads: 51
Default Storm with lightnings and thunders frequency

Kaleuns, I remember many years ago, someone asked if it was possible to change (increase or decrease) the chances of having bad weather that includes lightnings and thunders. Am I right or wrong?

I ask because I noticed that it's relatively low the frequency of lightnings and thunders during very bad weather.

Any info about this will be most welcome. Thanks a lot in advance.

CapZap
Old 02-08-21, 06:25 PM   #2
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Calling SubType Zero ! He knows a lot about the weather code CapZap1970.
Old 02-09-21, 12:16 AM   #3
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0

I'm afraid you give me too much credit, John. Although I assisted Stiebler with the weather in the past, he is really the person to consult regarding questions about the weather.

Speaking of Stiebler, has anyone heard from him lately? I sent him a PM a month or so ago, but haven't heard back. I hope everything is okay.

I will see what I can find regarding the frequency of lightning flashes, but I can't promise anything.

Subtype Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-21, 01:06 AM   #4
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Thanks a lot for your replies, Kaleuns.

I will be on standby!

CapZap
Old 02-09-21, 02:32 AM   #5
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

I think the answer is in the scene.dat file, located in the data folder. I'm not sure, but it appears that the minimum time between lightning flashes is set for 32 seconds and the maximum time is set for 160 seconds. A somewhat mild thunder storm.

In addition to Stiebler, you might ask anyone else who has experience with this file if they know the correct answer. My hex reading skills, such as they are, have deteriorated over the years from lack of practice. You might try the author of the MEP mod (Manos?).

Old 02-09-21, 02:40 AM   #6
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

Assuming these are the correct locations for these values, it should be possible using SH3 Commander to randomize the frequency of lightning flashes in order to create thunder storms of different "intensity." I'm not sure what effect this might have on frame-rates, however.

Old 02-09-21, 06:47 AM   #7
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

To much credit ? I don't think so. Nice job, good info. !
Old 02-09-21, 10:04 AM   #8
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

WOAH!!!!
Great info, Subtype Zero!!! and thank you very much for the info! Now, if it's not too much bother, where in the Scene.DAT file can this info be found?

Anyway, that's great help and I agree with John Pancoast's opinion...
Old 02-09-21, 10:09 AM   #9
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapZap1970 View Post
WOAH!!!!
Great info, Subtype Zero!!! and thank you very much for the info! Now, if it's not too much bother, where in the Scene.DAT file can this info be found?

Anyway, that's great help and I agree with John Pancoast's opinion...
Cap, I believe it's in the flash node, found under the sky node. Correct me if wrong Subtype Zero.
Old 02-09-21, 01:34 PM   #10
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

John, I think you are at least half-right!

There appear to be two hex files that control the appearance of lightning in the game. EnvSim.act, the file I believe you are referring to, seems to control the graphics associated with lightning flashes and other environmental variables such as sea and sky color, etc.

Scene.dat, on the other hand, seems to control the positioning and timing of lightning flashes. Strangely, though, I can't get Silent Editor to open the file, so I can only see it using a Hex editor. I have highlighted the lightning section, but there appears to be only two values that need changing, MinTime and MaxTime.

Old 02-09-21, 01:39 PM   #11
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtype Zero View Post
John, I think you are at least half-right!

There appear to be two hex files that control the appearance of lightning in the game. EnvSim.act, the file I believe you are referring to, seems to control the graphics associated with lightning flashes and other environmental variables such as sea and sky color, etc.

Scene.dat, on the other hand, seems to control the positioning and timing of lightning flashes. Strangely, though, I can't get Silent Editor to open the file, so I can only see it using a Hex editor. I have highlighted the lightning section, but there appears to be only two values that need changing, MinTime and MaxTime.

Actually I was referring to the scene.dat file (via S3D) but I was wondering/figured there was also something in a the envsim.act file.
Old 02-09-21, 08:58 PM   #12
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

I will see if I can edit this file and then test it in a new career during the summer months. Any preference for how frequent you wish the lightning strikes to be?

Old 02-09-21, 11:20 PM   #13
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Quote:
I will see if I can edit this file and then test it in a new career during the summer months. Any preference for how frequent you wish the lightning strikes to be?
Subtype Zero, first of all, thank you very much for all the trouble you are taking...

to tell you the truth, I would say an increase of 5-10%. now, do you think it's a reasonable increase? Thanks a lot for your input!

BTW, wouldn't you prefer that I send you the necessary files I use? I have already tweaked files so you don't have to do the same process twice. If that's the case, please let me know which files would you need, because I have no idea of hex editing...

Also, thanks a lot John Pancoast too! You 2 guys have been a wonderful help!

Last edited by CapZap1970; 02-09-21 at 11:35 PM.
CapZap1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-21, 12:33 AM   #14
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

CapZap,

5 - 10 percent? Just a nudge, huh? I can try, but I don't know if I can make it quite so precise. It might be more in the range of 20 to 40 percent.

The good news is that I have tested changing the file, and at least the game didn't crash. The main effect was an increase in the sound of thunder, but not necessarily many more lightning flashes. It may be that some of the flashes are taking place too far away from the boat to be seen. Unfortunately, lightning flashes in the game don't light up dark clouds as they do in real life.

Since the lightning effect is controlled by the scene.dat file, it will affect the last mod installed in JSGME that uses the scene.dat file. Off the top of my head, I know that GWX, NYGM, M.E.P., and possibly other mods use this file, so you will have to work backwards in your activated mods list and find the last mod to change the scene.dat file. Send a copy of that file to me and I will make the required changes and send it back for you to test.

As I mentioned earlier, I think I can use SH3 Commander to randomly select different versions of this file to produce thunder storms of different intensity, such as mild, moderate, strong, and fierce. The only problem with this solution is every storm on your patrol will have the same intensity until you save, exit, and run SH3 Commander again.

Old 02-10-21, 12:55 AM   #15
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Quote:
CapZap,

5 - 10 percent? Just a nudge, huh? I can try, but I don't know if I can make it quite so precise. It might be more in the range of 20 to 40 percent.

The good news is that I have tested changing the file, and at least the game didn't crash. The main effect was an increase in the sound of thunder, but not necessarily many more lightning flashes. It may be that some of the flashes are taking place too far away from the boat to be seen. Unfortunately, lightning flashes in the game don't light up dark clouds as they do in real life.

Since the lightning effect is controlled by the scene.dat file, it will affect the last mod installed in JSGME that uses the scene.dat file. Off the top of my head, I know that GWX, NYGM, M.E.P., and possibly other mods use this file, so you will have to work backwards in your activated mods list and find the last mod to change the scene.dat file. Send a copy of that file to me and I will make the required changes and send it back for you to test.

As I mentioned earlier, I think I can use SH3 Commander to randomly select different versions of this file to produce thunder storms of different intensity, such as mild, moderate, strong, and fierce. The only problem with this solution is every storm on your patrol will have the same intensity until you save, exit, and run SH3 Commander again.

SZ, the percentage you mention is fine (20-40%).

Now, the SH3 Cmdr part looks also very interesting and I have no problem with that.

CapZap

P.S. You have PM, Sir!!!