SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-27-18, 12:35 PM   #1591
MANoWAR.U52
Loader

Downloads: 97
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
Not that I'm aware of, no. The only way you can is perhaps by having a sense of how loud typical merchantmen or fishing boats are and realizing they're actually much closer (re: quieter) than normal because of a different bottom type. However, the ocean bottom only affects how loud things are if the sound speed profile of the mission is bottom-limited, which you can see in the SSP pane of the sonar. If there is a layer, the loudness will always be the same.

You need to approach each ship in order to simulate an attack. If I remember correctly, you need to approach within 4 nmi of each ship but no closer than 2 nmi of each to "attack" them.

I would say no. I tried it on my YouTube channel and I think the fourth mission became unplayable. I was trying to remake the campaign at one point to be more faithful to Sub Command but it's a lot of work and it fell to the wayside. Given how RA is presently tuned, etc, I'm also not sure it's possible to make it that faithful to Sub Command.

Thank you for taking time, giving a detailed answer. What is the name of your YT channel?

I had no luck in finding a way to proceed the mission and abandoned the campaign. Looks like RA is more geared towards the MP folks as there is not much (working) RA SP content and there is probably a high risk that non-RA-exclusive scenarios will cause issues. I´ll return to an unmodded install.
MANoWAR.U52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-18, 01:54 PM   #1592
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk66 View Post
@FPSchazly

is it still that the mod is heavily on favor for Russian units ? For a older version I tweaked the database but it is a hell of a work to do that manually...
I agree with pepe. It's closer between US and Russia than in stock, but the US still has the edge in sonar, and corroborates with info out there about Akula-II and Akula-III being as quiet or even quieter than 688(I) at low speed. However, I think the AI may be pushed to the limits of its programming, or even pushed beyond it.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters

Last edited by FPSchazly; 06-28-18 at 07:25 AM.
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 02:17 AM   #1593
MANoWAR.U52
Loader

I gave RA another try and reinstalled it. HOLY MOLY I see dozen of RA-dedicated singler player missions and campaigns. I somehow messed up my first install. Glad I installed it again.

Don´t know which campaign to play first, also somewhat afraid if I will get completely wasted by the AI. Heard from folks this mod´s AI will bring hell upon you.
Old 06-28-18, 07:27 AM   #1594
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANoWAR.U52 View Post
I gave RA another try and reinstalled it. HOLY MOLY I see dozen of RA-dedicated singler player missions and campaigns. I somehow messed up my first install. Glad I installed it again.

Don´t know which campaign to play first, also somewhat afraid if I will get completely wasted by the AI. Heard from folks this mod´s AI will bring hell upon you.
You can click the links in my signature to check out my videos. Here's a direct link to my channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/FPSchazly

I tried the Il-38 May campaign a while back and remember having issues. I'm not sure of it or the other custom content's current state. The AI is pretty brutal lol

My videos:
Old 06-28-18, 07:53 AM   #1595
MANoWAR.U52
Loader

Alright will check out your channel.

I´ve played a MH60 mission and love the expanded capabilities of the MH60 in RA. Also noticed that getting accurate solutions is way harder as most means are way more inaccurate (active sonar, passive triangulation).

However I´ve noticed that my SB´s no matter if I deploy the shallow or deep version, they all hang out direct beneath the water surface. Transmission and contact aquisition is working but they do not sink to their according depths.

Somebody knows what I´m doing wrong here?
Old 06-28-18, 08:51 AM   #1596
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

In 3D view you can see only "buoy" - device is much deeper (or shallower) on vertical line.
Of course it depends what type of sonobuoy you use.
Old 06-28-18, 01:52 PM   #1597
MANoWAR.U52
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
In 3D view you can see only "buoy" - device is much deeper (or shallower) on vertical line.
Of course it depends what type of sonobuoy you use.
So they work correctly but show wrong depth info in 3d view, ok got it, thanks

I´ve noticed the huge range of the DIFAR buoy in the RA weapons guide. I´ve learned that VLAD´s have the greatest detection range, was this changed?

Last edited by MANoWAR.U52; 06-28-18 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-28-18, 06:29 PM   #1598
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

No, the buoy is at the correct depth. That's the thing that keeps the sonar probe afloat. The sonar probe is at whatever depth it's at.

VLADs still detect the furthest, yes. In stock, VLAD and DIFAR could both see the whole spectrum of sound, so there was basically no point in using DIFAR given VLAD had the greater range. Now, VLAD only sees very low frequencies, probably no higher than 100 Hz or something. This way, you actually need to use DIFARs in addition to VLADs, as DIFARs can still see low, medium, and high frequencies.

My videos:
Old 07-02-18, 08:48 AM   #1599
MANoWAR.U52
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
No, the buoy is at the correct depth. That's the thing that keeps the sonar probe afloat. The sonar probe is at whatever depth it's at.

VLADs still detect the furthest, yes. In stock, VLAD and DIFAR could both see the whole spectrum of sound, so there was basically no point in using DIFAR given VLAD had the greater range. Now, VLAD only sees very low frequencies, probably no higher than 100 Hz or something. This way, you actually need to use DIFARs in addition to VLADs, as DIFARs can still see low, medium, and high frequencies.
I see thanks for clarification
Old 07-02-18, 12:48 PM   #1600
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
VLAD only sees very low frequencies, probably no higher than 100 Hz or something
This is why VLADs are very useful for torpedo detection. In RA mod all torpedoes have first freq. 55Hz or 65Hz. In omni-directional mode "filter" havent problems to recognise torpedoes because VLAD shows only first and sometimes second freq. string.
Old 07-12-18, 09:38 AM   #1601
MANoWAR.U52
Loader

Really enjoy the mod as a singleplayer. The bear is really cool.

Last edited by MANoWAR.U52; 07-12-18 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-14-18, 01:57 PM   #1602
Avimimus
Swabbie

Downloads: 5

Quick question: Are there any active sonar systems (e.g. special collision detection) that would allow a Russian submarine to pick up objects at speed?

Or would the Alfa class be running completely blind at higher speeds?

I find this is limiting my enjoyment of the Alfa class in RA, but it might be accurate that they would be completely blind. I'm mainly curious.
Avimimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-18, 04:07 PM   #1603
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

HF sonar - on Russian subs check top egde of screen in periscope station (F8)
Old 10-17-18, 08:27 AM   #1604
tAKticool47
Mate

Downloads: 1
Default Russian Torps

OK I do have a question now p7p8-

I noticed in the Alfa sub that there are diesel engines. I understand that on diesel-electric subs like the Kilo, you have a limited battery life, and when you use up the battery you need to come to snorkel depth, raise the snorkel, and start the diesels to charge the battery. What are the diesels for on the Alfa? I also noticed that the reactor temperature got very hot when I was playing it - does that affect the sub or have anything to do with the diesels etc?

Ok thanks. I don't THINK this is in the manual but if so tell me and I'll keep looking thanks.

EDIT EDIT- I went through the manual folder, I can't find anything on this- are you not answering me because I'm supposed to find it in the manuals?

EDIT EDIT EDIT -- Still no answer huh?

Last edited by tAKticool47; 10-24-18 at 05:34 PM.
tAKticool47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-18, 05:42 PM   #1605
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Sorry - i was very busy last time.

Its only "legacy" of Kilo interface :P
Its doesn't matter - Alfa is only nuclear sub in DW.

Real Alfa have electric engines for slow movement (look at small propelers)

Tags
reinforce alert