Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-08-18, 08:59 PM   #1
Halcyon
Helmsman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 3
Default I can't hit deep subs in RA using the FFG

The RA mod manual says you can manually set the depth of torps using the player helo control in the Oliver Hazard Perry, but all I can find is info on what kind of search parameters to give to the Seahawk.
Every time I drop a torp on a contact, it just circles around at about a depth of 50ft and the sub drives on by at 800 ft.

I even promoted my contact for the AI P-3, and the AI did fly directly for my contact. It dropped 3 torps, which all circled in shallow water.
Basically I couldn't engage the enemy sub at all. Is this a limitation of playing the OHP platform?
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-18, 01:59 AM   #2
Wildcat
Engineer

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0

Dropping directly on top of the contact typically causes it to circle around and miss.

Try dropping torps behind the contact. It should find the target right away, but if not, when it circles around it will probably get it on the second time around.

I have noticed torps are much less effective from the FFG helos as well, unfortunate as I am mainly an FFG player.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-18, 10:09 AM   #3
tAKticool47
Mate

Downloads: 1

I agree and particularly the US lightweight torpedoes all seem to suck.

The MK46 is a good torpedo but has an abysmal range and small warhead. This is partially true in real life as well but it's pretty bad in the game.

The MK50 was/is the highest-performing lightweight torpedo in the world. It uses a novel powering system for it's propulsion (the whole spraying-gas over lithium-block for steam etc.) because it was designed to counter what we had envisioned of the Alfa's propulsion and capabilities -- 40-45 knots @900+ meters etc. It also used a custom, specialized and AT THE TIME, highly-capable microprocessor for search logarithms and command logic. In the game, it's really the only one I have ever had any success with hitting a bad guy with. Also it seems to have a better warhead - it's the only lightweight torpedo (American I should add) that I've killed a sub with one hit... not OFTEN, but it's happened. These torpedoes were cancelled because they were very expensive, the materials very difficult to acquire and assemble, and we thought we'd not really need to deal with deep-diving, hi-performance Soviet subs anymore. (Peace Dividend).

The MK54 is *supposed* to be the best lightweight torpedo in the world. It's indisputable it has the highest capability of electronics in the world. It's got the best computers -- BY FAR -- of any countries' LWTs and the best acoustical equipment. BY FAR. It was supposed to be a 'hybrid' of the MK46's propulsion and "body" and the MK50's "brain" (while using the most modern circuitry available etc.)

In the game it's borderline useless for me. Not sure I've ever hit something with a MK54. All they seem to do is spin in circles.

Edit- I was wrong about something.

One thing I have wondered- is there a more advanced or modern naval combat sim? I don't think Cold Waters is for me, it seems different. I like the "technical" aspect of DW. But I would also appreciate some ASuW vs ASuW combat, some AEGIS warfare and CSGs/ARGs/etc. It would be so awesome if there was a modernized version of DW released.

Last edited by tAKticool47; 10-18-18 at 10:27 AM.
tAKticool47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-18, 12:37 PM   #4
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tAKticool47 View Post
One thing I have wondered- is there a more advanced or modern naval combat sim? I don't think Cold Waters is for me, it seems different. I like the "technical" aspect of DW. But I would also appreciate some ASuW vs ASuW combat, some AEGIS warfare and CSGs/ARGs/etc. It would be so awesome if there was a modernized version of DW released.
Thanks for the LWT info

Cold Waters is fun for what it is. I think the closest you'll get is Command: The Silent Service, but I find it very dry as it's like playing DW with all the autocrews turned on and no visuals to entertain with... at least when piloting a single boat. I imagine it could be more fun if you're commanding a "squadron" of subs.

Given the success of a sim like DCS with a free base game and modules you pay for, I would definitely support this type of financial model for a re-imagining of Dangerous Waters. We in the sim community have to come to terms with the fact that we're a small player base and that we require high fidelity of our sims, none of which makes games cheap.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-18, 04:00 PM   #5
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Quote:
The MK50 was/is the highest-performing lightweight torpedo in the world
Probably only for Blue waters. In shallow waters they wasn't so good :P

Quote:
The MK54 is *supposed* to be the best lightweight torpedo in the world. It's indisputable it has the highest capability of electronics in the world. It's got the best computers -- BY FAR -- of any countries' LWTs and the best acoustical equipment. BY FAR. It was supposed to be a 'hybrid' of the MK46's propulsion and "body" and the MK50's "brain" (while using the most modern circuitry available etc.)
In my opinion MU-90 is much better than Mk-54. This Torpedo works well in shallow or blue waters - have greater endurance and maximum range.

Quote:
In the game it's borderline useless for me. Not sure I've ever hit something with a MK54. All they seem to do is spin in circles.
Hmm i have many (dozens or hundreds?) kills using Helo LTW torpedoes from Perry:

Quote:
Works on RA 1.46 are still in progress. I think releasing is very close, ESM bug is almost fixed, Sauro Batch I, II, III, IV added, CIWS and AEGIS finnaly works quite accurate

This is video from AEGIS TEST:

(check desctiption under video)
Old 01-02-19, 11:00 AM   #6
Wolfcat
Chief

Downloads: 27

I wouldn't say light weight torps are useless in RA. Unlike vanilla, RA fixed most torp sensor parameters, now the torps need be used under a much stricter envelope. To use light weight torps more successfully, you need a better fix on the target. Doing so on a Perry is usually pretty difficult. That's why I use onboard mk50 and mk54 only for close quarter self-defense. Perry's main asw weapon should the helo's. In RA, you can set Helo do different patterns of search and target fixing. Once you have it boxed, you need drop one practically rite on top of it for the torp to acquire and hit. I have had many successes with controlling helo's from Perry and let it do the dirty work. In my honest opinion, RA did a pretty good job with torps and helo's. But in various ways, it downgraded American onboard sensors and surface ship weapons a big deal.
Wolfcat is offline   Reply With Quote