Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-17-18, 12:23 AM   #16
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Good luck to you. If I read it right, you are one year older than I am, which makes us of the same age group. And I would hate to need making decisions again like I did at 30 and like you need to do again now with 52. It sucks. Really, good luck to you.
Well I'm 38 years old now... i was using 52 as more of a prime example of being within 10-15 years of mandatory airline retirement and having something come up that forces you out of the business and you have to start over at a point in your life when you should be preparing to retire.

Last edited by GoldenRivet; 02-17-18 at 12:32 AM.
GoldenRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-18, 02:37 PM   #17
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Hi, Junior!

Old 02-19-18, 05:18 AM   #18
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Hi, Junior!

Maybe but which one of the two is better looking?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-18, 11:47 AM   #19
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Precisely! my calculation: 60 - 38 = 22 and most of the pilots I knew or know (or long-haul truckers like myself) don't make it to retirement physically, so my use of expression: 'depreciable asset' falls coldly into line here. Throwing in fewer moving parts (mechanical aircraft and mechanics), crumby passengers, Union politics, international terrorists etc. to the conundrum equation:... and I'd just stay on the ground!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post

I have spoken at length with my wife and friends on the subject. The consensus is much as Aktungbby pointed out... at this point i need to be focusing on paying off my house and building a solid retirement moving forward. not playing airline pilot in the northeast...i have decided to pass on the job offer.
Quote:
It is no dream job, it seems. Not at all.
Quote:
I am happy in my current job for the most part, i like to road trip in my RV, which i get to do a lot of obviously. I enjoy being able to help people, and i get paid really well in the process. the downside is it is a lonely life. I cant drag the family along, and even if i could my productivity would suffer. whatever i want from November to the end of February is kinda nice...there are a lot of things that can force you out of the business long before mandatory retirement. If i become diabetic for example... well i can still do my current job, but im OUT as an airline pilot. so that 52 year old guy who has been flying since he was 19, its all he knows, now he has atrial fibrillation bouts... done. congratulations, you get to hurry to start over in a new career at 52 and your daughter is in her 3rd year of college, and your house is 18 months from paid off... now what?
PRECISELY MY CASE IN CHIEF: OF MY FIVE ASSOCIATES ONLY ONE MADE TO RETIREMENT; ONE HAD CANCER; AND TWO HAD HEART PROBLEMS AND THE OTHER ONE (with the aeronautics degree flew for Fed EX)& became an alcoholic...(pssst) the secret to a long happy marriage is separate vacations and a separate bath! and there U R: roadtrippin' happily in your RV and getting paid for it while your bride contemplates a secure retirement.

Quote:
In addendum:

i think a far more beneficial and constructive use of my skills as a pilot would be to purchase my own airplane and participate in a program similar to angel flight.
Could U also teach flying privately and thus reduce the plane co$t as a tax deduction?

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-18, 06:18 PM   #20
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Could U also teach flying privately and thus reduce the plane co$t as a tax deduction?
short answer is yes.

then again even without instructing, certain expenses would be deductible if utilized in whole or in part for charity

much more realistic approach than jumping into any airline gig i can get my hands on.