SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-13-18, 11:27 PM   #1
Alex Stolz
Swabbie

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0
Default Red Light Mod?

Ahoy, guys!
Is there any mod that allows changing light inside the control room?
In Silent Hunter II there was a game key switching light from normal, i.e. colourless, to red during attack or evading manoeuvring. It seems that red light consumes less energy and is more suitable as a background colour for periscope observer.

PS. A very interesting lights disposition inside the U-boat you can see in the "Das Boot" destroyer encounter scene.

Alex Stolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-18, 02:33 AM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Are you asking if there is a mod that allows you the user to change to red light at will?

I don't think so.
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-18, 03:49 AM   #3
Alex Stolz
Swabbie

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
Are you asking if there is a mod that allows you the user to change to red light at will?
Yes, sure.
Alex Stolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-18, 05:33 AM   #4
Tycho
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 264
Uploads: 1

Well, I can start working on that.
For example, I know where in sh3.exe the code check, are the sun is below or above the horizon and switch the light on the navigation map.
I will not change that because I'm counting on this to know when the night or day come.
Also, I know where in sh3.exe the code check are the sun is below or above the horizon and switch the illumination of the periscopes graticule.
I had plans to make this for myself to be switchable manually.
Not that I'm so lazy, but I have plenty of activities on different directions, have not come to that, yet.
I will need to search for the light switch for the interior, it may be in the sh3.exe, but maybe is in SH3Controllers.act, I don't know, yet.
And there's no guarantee I'll find it...
Old 11-14-18, 05:37 AM   #5
ThePrody
not dead yet

Downloads: 130

if you find it see if you can add blue light also like they had in Das Boot .
ThePrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-18, 06:07 AM   #6
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Downloads: 901

Yes, it would be good
ivanov.ruslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-18, 06:12 AM   #7
Tycho
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 264

From now I can say that, this will require a serious skills and reprogramming of the controller, to add the third light, I'm not capable.
I speak for example, about single byte location, where 0 or 1 switch the light, if I find that, I can make the switch to be manual, just like I made the functional draggable chronometer.
Old 11-14-18, 06:30 AM   #8
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

Yes, the blue light is actually for the torpedo room, in the conning tower remains red
Old 11-14-18, 11:47 AM   #9
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Correct, red light was used only in the parts of the boat where the relief watch crew was waiting for its shift, getting used to low light conditions. Conning tower and at most, control room. The rest of the Uboat would use normal light, I believe I read somewhere the blue light we see in Das Boot was never used in real life, but added because it made faces even more pale and the atmosphere inside the boat even more claustrophobic as well as helped indicate changes in time/status of the mood (No daylight was visible in the interiors, which means it's hard for the director to give big changes in appearance to the scenary to transmit feelings or sensations).

That said, IIRC some time ago there was a blue light mod around that changed the normal white one for blue in certain parts of the boat.

Old 11-14-18, 02:19 PM   #10
bstanko6
Admiral

Red lit areas of the U-Boat are used for telling dirty jokes about the girls in Reich schools, and how they spell “Otto” with chalk!
Old 11-15-18, 06:11 PM   #11
ArnoldR
Medic

Downloads: 22

Wow that would be cool to switch the light to RED when attacking during the day!! Tycho,you will maybe have to create an option selector for your own patch, with all the tweaks you're creating in the EXE!!!

So in fact, there was a red light only in the command room and conning tower, and nowhere else?????
ArnoldR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-18, 07:03 PM   #12
bstanko6
Admiral

Interesting fact I learned about the red light. Some commanders forbid the use of it. Some worried the red light could be seen through the periscope eye sticking out of the water by destroyers!!! Also, at night the red glow in the command room would shine through the open hatch on the watch deck. Commanders would refuse to allow the hatch open Incase planes were flying overhead. Crazy you had to be careful for things like that!
Old 11-16-18, 01:36 AM   #13
ivanov.ruslan
The Old Man

I quote this text from a German forum,in terms of blue light:
Die einzig erwähnte Variante, blaues Licht zu schalten, konnte ich in der „Torpedoschießvorschrift für Unterseeboote“ (M.Dv. 416/3) finden, die für die U-Boottypen II, VII, IX und X gültig war. Dort bedeutet „Blaulampe schalten“, dass für einen notwendigen Sehrohrrundblick, die Übermittlung der sich nun ändernden Peilwinkels nicht mehr über Torpedorechenwerk und das GA-Stellzeug an die Torpedos weitergegeben wird.
Old 11-16-18, 09:10 AM   #14
ArnoldR
Medic

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Interesting fact I learned about the red light. Some commanders forbid the use of it. Some worried the red light could be seen through the periscope eye sticking out of the water by destroyers!!! Also, at night the red glow in the command room would shine through the open hatch on the watch deck. Commanders would refuse to allow the hatch open Incase planes were flying overhead.
So,they shut the lights completly off???

Quote:
Crazy you had to be careful for things like that!
War is war......

Teaser; At 1:25, the guy turns the lights to RED:

ArnoldR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-18, 05:31 PM   #15
bstanko6
Admiral

The book never said. But I would believe the commander at periscope would keep the light off while scanning. I'll take another look to be sure.