SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-12-21, 10:57 AM   #1
A Soviet Fanboi
Watch

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 0
Default Why do American subs have a less test depth in comparison to a German UBoat?

So I was doing my usual patrols in SH4 FOTRS, then I suddenly got attacked by a G4M1 Betty Bomber(I forgot to turn on my SD radar). I recieved a hull damage of 83 and I crash dived immediately after shooting down the bomber. I was in a depth of 113ft and suddenly my Chief Engineer spammed with words like Compressor Damaged! Pumps Damaged! We have heavy floading! Etc,etc. I was surprised and checked on my damage and yes it was really serious but it was too late and I got crushed due to water pressure. But the thing is I was at a depth of 113ft only and still I got crushed, 113ft is like 35ft and that's quiet less. I am damn sure that if I was on a type IXC u-boat on SH3 (Because I haven't played the u-boat campaign in SH4 yet) I would have survived. So the question is, why did American subs had a very weak hull or a very less test depth in comparison to a uboat?
A Soviet Fanboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 12:45 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

83 of 100 leaves you 17% of your hull protection, which tain't much... The US subs were rated lower than the German, but only from an engineering perspective. The U-Boats were tested for crush, and rather conservatively also, but the US boats were not, and the depth was decided by an equation someone had on a piece of paper, so if the paper said the boat could go to 600 feet (roughly 200 meters), then they said you could safely dive to 300 feet (100 meters) and be "safe". Ultra-conservative on diving depth. Crush depth might have been even deeper, and quite a few US boats did go below 600 feet - going by guess-timates, since their depth gauges didn't register deeper than 600. But if you take that 600 foot figure, and multiply it by 17%, you come up with 102 feet... death at 102 feet instead of 600+. Use 1000 feet instead, and that is 170 feet deep for death... That is one aspect of submarine warfare the submariners did not have though - a "gauge" on how much hull structure integrity they have left.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 01:32 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Soviet Fanboi View Post
So I was doing my usual patrols in SH4 FOTRS, then I suddenly got attacked by a G4M1 Betty Bomber(I forgot to turn on my SD radar). I recieved a hull damage of 83 and I crash dived immediately after shooting down the bomber. I was in a depth of 113ft and suddenly my Chief Engineer spammed with words like Compressor Damaged! Pumps Damaged! We have heavy floading! Etc,etc. I was surprised and checked on my damage and yes it was really serious but it was too late and I got crushed due to water pressure. But the thing is I was at a depth of 113ft only and still I got crushed, 113ft is like 35ft and that's quiet less. I am damn sure that if I was on a type IXC u-boat on SH3 (Because I haven't played the u-boat campaign in SH4 yet) I would have survived. So the question is, why did American subs had a very weak hull or a very less test depth in comparison to a uboat?
Yea as beanie said, your hull integrity was severely compromised, 83 percent means 83 percent damaged, should not have tried to dive and turned for home immediately. Your boat was close to a total constructive loss.Not sure if FOTRS kept the number same but used to be if hull had 90 percent damage and you made it back to port, they retired the boat and her skipper typically.

Just a follow up, US subs could dive much much deeper than advertised, especially the Balao and Tench Class subs. Gato's went much deeper than their 300 ft test depth during war and even older boats such as Porpoise class went quite deep when forced to under combat conditions. I recall the Pollack went to 550 at one point, 250 ft test depth and a riveted hull I believe. They were sturdy, well built boats that could dive quite deep but for safety reasons, were rated quite conservatively in regards to max diving depth.

Most of time they were not required to go quite so deep and some submarine commanders were not willing to push their boats that deep unless forced by flooding etc, others such as O Kane did, taking the Tang to 600 feet during sea trials and in combat due to flooding went to 612 feet I believe it was.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 02:00 PM   #4
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

In Das Boot they went down to 700 meters - allegedly. I'm not so sure the Med was that deep off Gibraltar where they say they were
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 03:16 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
In Das Boot they went down to 700 meters - allegedly. I'm not so sure the Med was that deep off Gibraltar where they say they were
700 m is 2296.588 feet.
no WWII sub from any nation could survive a dive to 2296 feet.
that's Hollywood.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 04:08 PM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
If I recall rightly.. the gauge only went to 300, in the movie.. will have to see of watching it again, to cross check that.

Even if the gauge in the movie was slated as saying 600 (or even 700) meters.. as KM correctly pointed out... that's By Golly Bollywood for ya... anything for the dramatic nail biting suspense of movies, such as Das Boot or other action movies. up to including even the horror genre...ALL to be taken with a grain heavy dose of salt.

M. M.

Old 05-12-21, 06:48 PM   #7
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
If I recall rightly.. the gauge only went to 300, in the movie.. will have to see of watching it again, to cross check that.

Even if the gauge in the movie was slated as saying 600 (or even 700) meters.. as KM correctly pointed out... that's By Golly Bollywood for ya... anything for the dramatic nail biting suspense of movies, such as Das Boot or other action movies. up to including even the horror genre...ALL to be taken with a grain heavy dose of salt.

M. M.

i recall the last time i watch Das Boot and the Kaleun gave the order: Deeper and the diving officer announced 400 or 500 m, i had to laugh. i believe they reached 700 m when they were "resting" on the bottom trying to fix the diesels. I believe that the German Kaleun in The Enemy Below also takes his Type 7 to 700 m.

that is another bugaboo with me...not only with DB with the other (mostly American) submarine movies...this resting on the bottom.
can't do that.
a sub has too many pumps located on the lower portion of the hull, pumping in either direction, to rest anywhere but in the water. But it's great entertainment isn't it?

LAA enabled
Old 05-12-21, 07:17 PM   #8
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i recall the last time i watch Das Boot and the Kaleun gave the order: Deeper and the diving officer announced 400 or 500 m, i had to laugh. i believe they reached 700 m when they were "resting" on the bottom trying to fix the diesels. I believe that the German Kaleun in The Enemy Below also takes his Type 7 to 700 m.

that is another bugaboo with me...not only with DB with the other (mostly American) submarine movies...this resting on the bottom.
can't do that.
a sub has too many pumps located on the lower portion of the hull, pumping in either direction, to rest anywhere but in the water. But it's great entertainment isn't it?

Numerous US subs did lay to on the bottom when damaged trying to make repairs. Tambor in Feb 1944 in South China Sea comes to mind, 17 hours was on bottom being depth charged USS Seahorse in 1945 off Tsushima Straits, was under 15 hours or so as well, on the bottom. S boat in Aleutians was sinking to crush depth hit a shelf, one in the philippines. Multiple other instances
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-21, 07:25 PM   #9
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Numerous US subs did lay to on the bottom when damaged trying to make repairs. Tambor in Feb 1944 in South China Sea comes to mind, 17 hours was on bottom being depth charged USS Seahorse in 1945 off Tsushima Straits, was under 15 hours or so as well, on the bottom. S boat in Aleutians was sinking to crush depth hit a shelf, one in the philippines. Multiple other instances
very dangerous.
you go first.
45 second mark

LAA enabled
Old 05-12-21, 07:26 PM   #10
propbeanie

From the "reliable" Wikipedia for a Type VII:
Test depth: 230 m (750 ft) -Calculated crush depth: 250–295 m (820–968 ft)

Very similar to the Gato figures, but the American boat designers were more nervous about their advertised "test" depth. Notice that the German crush depth is also calculated, and is very similar to the US calculations. Only the US used 1/2 of what they knew was a "safe" depth as the test depth. Think about it though, you are in a boat that is "safe" to 700 feet, and someone is raining depth charges and maybe a hedge hog or squid volley or two at you at that depth, and I do believe that everyone of us would have to change our shorts after just the first nearby explosion... Most submarine officers were highly educated men, most of them engineers in one field or another, and all could guess what the designers knew...

Old 05-12-21, 09:39 PM   #11
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
230 meters is significantly less than the Hollywood depth of 700 meters.

LAA enabled
Old 05-12-21, 10:55 PM   #12
A Soviet Fanboi
Watch

Quote:
Holy Cow even modern subs don't go that deep, I think you were mistaken.
Old 05-12-21, 10:58 PM   #13
A Soviet Fanboi
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post

Very similar to the Gato figures, but the American boat designers were more nervous about their advertised "test" depth. Notice that the German crush depth is also calculated, and is very similar to the US calculations. Only the US used 1/2 of what they knew was a "safe" depth as the test depth. Think about it though, you are in a boat that is "safe" to 700 feet, and someone is raining depth charges and maybe a hedge hog or squid volley or two at you at that depth, and I do believe that everyone of us would have to change our shorts after just the first nearby explosion... Most submarine officers were highly educated men, most of them engineers in one field or another, and all could guess what the designers knew...
Test depth of Type VII C was 150m. Beyond the 150m is known as critical depth.

Last edited by A Soviet Fanboi; 05-13-21 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Wrote ft instead of m
Old 05-13-21, 03:16 PM   #14
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post

can't do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
As Bubblehead has stated (and I'll expand on) diesel boats most certainly can rest on the sea bottom. Most nuc boats cannot, or could not, rest on the bottom due to Main Seawater and Auxiliary Seawater suction and discharge. The exceptions I believe were SSN-575 Seawolf, SSGN-587 Halibut, and SSN-683 Parche. With no reactor plant to keep running, there's no need for a MSW/ASW system or to take a suction from or discharge to the sea while submerged in a diesel boat.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-21, 07:39 PM   #15
propbeanie

Just be sure and retract your heads... lol - pick-up your feet!