SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-25-17, 08:50 AM   #1
Brett Sinclair
Loader

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0
Icon11 noob questions

Hi guys,
Just bought SH4 off Steam (having played SH5 before).
Some questions:
- I cannot find the tool to plot my course. Simply clicking on the ship does not work either. How can I plot my course?
- I cannot see a mini map with round numbers while looking through the telescope (the way it was in SH5). How can I target without the TDC?
- Do mods work with Steam's 1.3 version? Which mods are "must haves" like TWoS for SH5?
Thanks.

A Merry Christmas,
Brett
Brett Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-17, 09:32 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If the Uboats add-on is still on sale, you do need it. There are very few mods for v1.3, which is a crippled patch for a crippled v1.2, in my opinion. Why Steam does that I don't know. v1.3 does work, but not as well as it should.

When installing the game, do NOT put it in the "C:\ Program Files ..." directory. Use the Steam app and create a new Library folder that is NOT in that directory, such as C:\Ubisoft \ Silent Hunter... Otherwise, Windows will "protect" the game's files, and not allow a mod application to "stick".

Plotting your course is relatively easy. When on the navigation map, there's a little "line" tool, like third button from the left. After you click on that, hover over the Navigation map, and you should see a little "flag" icon with a line attached to it from your sub. Drag it where ever you want to place a waypoint, and left-click, which "plants" the mark, and sets you up to do it again. You can also select that tool, click and drag a flag to move a waypoint.

Off of the main listings, you'll find THEBERBSTER's SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <... link, and in it is Rockin Robbins' links: Sub Skipper's Bag of Tricks. The links on those pages are about the best way to explain manual targetting on a Fleet Boat. It's not like the Uboats.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-17, 09:49 AM   #3
Brett Sinclair
Loader

Thank you!
However, I still didn't find the right tool. The tools I find are labeled "tool helper", "ruler", "eraser", "protactor", "zoom in", "compass" and "marker".
I may be really stupid, but what does it look like? I used the (navigational) map by pressing F3.
This is what my map looks like:
https://imgur.com/sWpSijK
As soon as I figured this out, I'll go ahead and buy the U Boat expansions. I already saw the "Operation Monsun" mod, which appears to model all German submarines and submarine operations during WWII. Basically enough to replace SH5 (which still has performance issues for me). Thankfully, I installed Steam, along with all its games, in a separate folder already.
I was asking about the automatic targeting, but I guess I'll figure it out myself as soon as I manage to leave Pearl Harbor But I'll surely dive into the TDC at a later point.

Best,
Brett
Old 12-25-17, 11:04 AM   #4
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Those are tools to use.. under the tools, click on the 'protractor ' looking icon (second from left). Then on the next set of icons below you will see the icons that propbeanie described.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-17, 11:44 AM   #5
Brett Sinclair
Loader

Thanks!
I clicked on the thing which says "protractor" (but looks like a set square),but to no avail:
https://imgur.com/a/atP5a
I cannot even find the protractor looking thing tbh. Shouldn't it look like this?
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg
And if it is the tool where it says "protractor", why doesn't it work the same way as yours?

Best,
Brett
Old 12-25-17, 11:58 AM   #6
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Click the green compass (the north-finder kind, where the arrow points), so that it appears open. Then try the protractor.

To set course, you need to use the command bar at the bottom of the screen, not the pile of tools on the map.

Click the compass (the circle/stabby kind) with the red outline. This will bring up a different set of items on the command bar. I think the Set Course option is where I put the red blob.
Old 12-25-17, 12:18 PM   #7
Brett Sinclair
Loader

Thank you so much!
Finally I know how to do it - now I'm off to buying the U Boot missions.

Best,
Brett
Old 12-25-17, 12:36 PM   #8
Brett Sinclair
Loader

There's one other question I have:
Can I see the view range (the grey circle) of other contacts on the map as well (like in SH5)?
It's nice to have something to judge the right time to dive by at the beginning.

Best,
Brett
Old 12-25-17, 02:53 PM   #9
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

When you're playing stock, the map contacts are on. You will see everything (usually) that the watch crew on deck sees, or that your radar sees, on the Navigation map. From a distance, they'll be a small box. As you zoom in, they'll change to a ship's outline. You can use the ruler tool to get a rough estimate as to how far away they are, in 500 yard increments usually, which will turn to tenths of nautical miles once you exceed 9,999 yards. If you "target" something in either the periscope or the TBT, then that will display the distance in the "lock". There's those little tabs to either side of the screen to pull your targeting tools in to view, when on the appropriate screens.

An important thing that a lot of folks seem to miss is the keyboard pictures in the "root" of the game folder, called "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg", which have helpful info and pictures (very useful to old fahrtz like me) of the keyboard layout in the game. In the Support folder off of the game root is the "SilentHunter4Manual.pdf" file, which while sadly lacking in some of the detail I would like to see, is still very helpful nonetheless, in spite of its "fluff"...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-17, 03:12 PM   #10
Brett Sinclair
Loader

The ref card is great - thanks!

My question was slightly different, however (I didn't do a good job of explaining it):
In SH5 (as long as "map contacts update" is turned on), there is a grey circle around the diamond or square representing the contact's position. It shows the area an (enemy) contact is able to (visually) detect your submarine. As long as you are outside, you are below his horizon, or not properly lit. When you are inside, you are detected, and attacked.
Even at the lowest difficulty setting, I could not find an option for this. So I am left to guessing how close I can get to an enemy before he detects me.
Realistic, but a bit steep for a relative beginner like myself.
EDIT: Just realised I can toogle this information by clicking on the contact - silly me

Best,
Brett

Last edited by Brett Sinclair; 12-25-17 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-26-17, 12:43 PM   #11
Hambone307
Planesman

Downloads: 93

To see the contact's detection range, you have to click on the contact while in the map screen. So when your deck crew calls out a contact, go to map screen. Click on the "box' or the outline of the ship if you are zoomed in that far. You should then see some rings and a cone (or two) around the contact marker on the map. These are the detection ranges for the particular ship.

Some destroyers later in game have radar which will be the farthest outer ring. The next ring will be visual spotting range, after that you will see a ring with a cone taken out of the back, this is the (passive) sonar range. The cone going out of the front is the ASDIC detection range.

Be advised, there are some mods that remove these, and weather or not they show up is also dependent on your zoom level in map.

- Hope that answered your question.

*Edited for grammatical errors.
Old 12-26-17, 02:06 PM   #12
Brett Sinclair
Loader

Thank you!

Best,
Brett
Old 12-29-17, 08:12 PM   #13
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

there is no such thing as a stupid question; or as you stated, 'noob' - whatever that is
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-17, 08:14 PM   #14
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Sinclair View Post
Thank you so much!
Finally I know how to do it - now I'm off to buying the U Boot missions.

Best,
Brett
go into the bay of biscay. I am joking, but in real life Captain Walker RN the scourge of the U boats lurked there with his 6 sloops. Every sub he found, he sank.

amusing story about that too. He had scientists on board on one patrol. They were trying to find ways to combat radio controlled aerial bombs dropped by bombers outswide of ships armament range. One such bomb was heading towards Walkers own ship. Suddenly it dived into the sea. Excited scientists began questioning all the crew about what they were doing at that time. The answer was amazing - some were having a shave!!! Their electric razors set up a countering signal which blocked the bombs guidance!! Job done, shave away!! true story.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-17, 11:24 AM   #15
Brett Sinclair
Loader

I will .

Best,
Brett