SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims > Sub Commander
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-15, 06:12 AM   #481
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1

Hot diggity damn, this sounds even more awesome than I could have hoped!

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-15, 02:19 AM   #482
Redrick
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Geoff, you are a beautiful person. I have played this for many hours over the months I have had it, but had no idea there was a planned 3D world.

I have work to do! I cannot just sit here, idling and praying for the coming releases!
Redrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-15, 12:45 PM   #483
dsawan
Torpedoman

Downloads: 66

eagerly awaiting this too as did not know there was a 3d world.
dsawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-15, 01:28 AM   #484
succerpunch
Torpedoman

Downloads: 292

Me' got a few suggestions:

1. Make crew automatically fight fires or the Fire Suppression System go on automatically.

2. Make nations status change over time for example: I play as South Africa (Where I stay) and say now some political thing happens then when I'm at sea I get a message saying all polish ships are hostile.

3. Make that nations get (sometimes) annoyed from your ship doing recon at there base thus leading to the political thing above.

4. A more user friendly sub editor. like no more .ini editing

5. The typhoon sub When the, I think its the heat exchanger or a Coolant pump when one of them get damaged I can't repair them.

6. Make a U-boat to play with if you play as Germany.

7. Make a plot coarse option.

You don't have to fix/implement these suggestions because these are just my opinion but it will be nice.
Old 03-10-15, 12:34 PM   #485
Nickvr628
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Default Wow

When that submarine simulator is finished. It will be like Artemis Bridge Simulator, but with submarines. In other words, heaven.

But imagine it with Oculus Rift! The possibilities are endless.
Nickvr628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-15, 03:20 AM   #486
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Pwnzorlol & Redrick & Alfa15!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-15, 06:24 AM   #487
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by succerpunch View Post
Me' got a few suggestions:

1. Make crew automatically fight fires or the Fire Suppression System go on automatically.

2. Make nations status change over time for example: I play as South Africa (Where I stay) and say now some political thing happens then when I'm at sea I get a message saying all polish ships are hostile.

3. Make that nations get (sometimes) annoyed from your ship doing recon at there base thus leading to the political thing above.

4. A more user friendly sub editor. like no more .ini editing

5. The typhoon sub When the, I think its the heat exchanger or a Coolant pump when one of them get damaged I can't repair them.

6. Make a U-boat to play with if you play as Germany.

7. Make a plot coarse option.

You don't have to fix/implement these suggestions because these are just my opinion but it will be nice.
Thanks for your suggestions - a few of these are planned, especially the diplomacy related ones. Also the ability to plot a course will be added eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango589 View Post
Hot diggity damn, this sounds even more awesome than I could have hoped!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrick View Post
Geoff, you are a beautiful person. I have played this for many hours over the months I have had it, but had no idea there was a planned 3D world.

I have work to do! I cannot just sit here, idling and praying for the coming releases!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsawan View Post
eagerly awaiting this too as did not know there was a 3d world.
Thanks, and I'm glad you guys are as excited about the new game as I am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickvr628 View Post
When that submarine simulator is finished. It will be like Artemis Bridge Simulator, but with submarines. In other words, heaven.

But imagine it with Oculus Rift! The possibilities are endless.
I tried Artemis for the first time with a bunch of friends a few weeks ago, it's great fun. Hopefully my sim will create a similar atmosphere!

And no promises yet, but I see no reason why Oculus Rift support can't be included

On a related note, if anyone reading this lives in San Diego, Los Angeles, or Kaliningrad, Russia please send me a message.
I have a favour to ask! I can compensate you for your trouble.
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-15, 12:43 PM   #488
Wojtek94
Watch

Downloads: 9

2D version of Sub Commander is dead? Thats was just great...
Wojtek94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-15, 05:40 AM   #489
TheGeoff
Planesman

No, it's definitely not dead! The development of Sub Commander is progressing a lot more slowly lately but I still have many more updates planned.

The focus of the next update will be the torpedoes. I've learned a LOT more about how these systems work from my research for the new simulator, and I plan to integrate that back into Sub Commander.

The magic auto-homing torpedoes will be replaced with a more realistic system, where:
  • Immediately after launch, the torpedo turns to a predefined bearing (either manually selected by the player before launch, or selected automatically based on your current target)
  • Once the torpedo has travelled more than a certain distance (also chosen by the player), the warhead and homing sensors will be armed. I plan to simulate both active and passive sensors.
  • Once the sensors switch on, the torpedo will enter a search pattern if it has been programmed to do so.
  • If the sensors detect a target, the torpedo will chase and attempt to destroy it. This means you must plan shots very carefully to avoid friendly fire or circular running torpedoes.

The system is still a work in progress, but I think it will really improve the game. One of the main complaints people seem to have about Sub Commander is how basic the combat system is, and I think this will help fix that nicely.

Decoys and countermeasures may also make it into the next update but I haven't started work on them yet.
Old 03-16-15, 12:05 PM   #490
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Looking forward to the next release!

Old 03-17-15, 11:43 AM   #491
Wojtek94
Watch

Great news It is worth so much work which you do. Idea with the torpedo is cool but it will be still only shooting to the sitting ducks becouse enemy doesn't hunt for player. Just compare this to Aces of the Deep And finally stupid question-what with a donate? It is possible? Sorry for my bad english

Ps-what do you think about adding real time in game and few elements of AOTD campaign(data of hunted ships,cooperation with other submarines etc)?

Last edited by Wojtek94; 03-17-15 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 11:51 PM   #492
TheGeoff
Planesman

Enemy ships do search for the player if you are detected, but I think the main problem is they give up too easily. At the moment they simply travel to the place where they last detected you, take a quick look around, then return to whatever they were doing. I'll try to make them search more intelligently in the future - using search patterns, cruisers launching ASW helicopters, etc.

I'm also planning to simulate the active sonar on enemy warships more thoroughly in a future update. Hearing the pings of enemy destroyers searching for you is a vital part of any sub sim

Real time mode is also planned - it will probably be added as an optional feature in the next update.

If you would like to make a donation, you can send it through Paypal to subcommandergame@gmail.com.
Thank you!
Old 03-20-15, 06:24 PM   #493
Wojtek94
Watch

When can we expect new build? Just a moment ago I failed attack on convoy in AOTD(I waited for my first battleship-36000 BRT...). I'm not patient enough to attack battleships and wait for your game
Old 03-22-15, 06:22 AM   #494
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek94 View Post
When can we expect new build? Just a moment ago I failed attack on convoy in AOTD(I waited for my first battleship-36000 BRT...). I'm not patient enough to attack battleships and wait for your game

Old 03-23-15, 10:18 PM   #495
TheGeoff
Planesman

I don't have an estimate for the release of the next version yet - I'm really busy at the moment so progress on Sub Commander is pretty slow.

So far the new torpedo system is implemented and mostly working, but not much else has been added.