SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-12-17, 03:44 PM   #4186
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
Ever heard of, " Ship Data Fetcher ", by Gutted Harwell? That might prove to be useful.
I don't remember - that's not say I haven't heard of it, just that "I do not recall"... Looking for it now! Thank you.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-17, 04:01 PM   #4187
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
~VERY~ helpful, on more than one aspect... a Wine machine... audio issue and then you see the ships... hmmmm... thank you jldjs... This again, is the 42b layer, which does seem to be the worst in the Truk area, though I've gotten that roar while in the 42a layers also...
I had also saved at 21:00 hrs on Jan 11 for contact with a destroyer north of the spot where the roar occurred. So I restarted from there and as soon as the control room renders the roar occurred, 3 plus game hours before hearing it at the Jan 12 00:04 hour! Didn't expect that!
Had a previous save from Jan 11 when I was NE of Truk heading to the west side, but no roar when I started from there.
Old 03-12-17, 04:06 PM   #4188
propbeanie

It seems that the game "saves" that 'roar', like it does submarine noises and noises like "passing thermal layer" and the like... most curious behavior. I might remove all the Campaign layers, make me a single mission, and take a drive on the surface over there, and see if I get a roar... wow, did I just say that out loud?... This is where things will get boring...

Old 03-12-17, 04:25 PM   #4189
propbeanie

Quote:
Ever heard of, " Ship Data Fetcher ", by Gutted Harwell? That might prove to be useful.
OK, I do remember it now, and it will not run on my Win7-64 machine. I've tried 15 ways of sideways to re-run the .Net framework v2 (the one listed on my machine is v4.xx whatever), and all I get is "This version of this software is already installed as part of the Operating System", so I've given up. Gutted was looking into doing something similar again. We'll have to see how he's getting along... Gutted, if you see this, what was your "data source" for the different fields that you pulled from?... the CFG files, or the SIM files? Thanks.

Old 03-12-17, 05:25 PM   #4190
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
OK, I do remember it now, and it will not run on my Win7-64 machine. I've tried 15 ways of sideways to re-run the .Net framework v2 (the one listed on my machine is v4.xx whatever), and all I get is "This version of this software is already installed as part of the Operating System", so I've given up. Gutted was looking into doing something similar again. We'll have to see how he's getting along... Gutted, if you see this, what was your "data source" for the different fields that you pulled from?... the CFG files, or the SIM files? Thanks.
Works fine on both my PC's propbeanie, it takes the info from the cfg files If i remember correctly..
Old 03-12-17, 05:29 PM   #4191
s7rikeback
I break things

Default Zero Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Yes, there are, but if I knew which Campaign files to start on I think I could make a dent in them. I just wouldn't want to step onto your toes if you're working in the same .mis file (like the ones you're going through with the Truk bottleneck).

Personally, I think I'd look at each ship's Max Speed figure first, to see if its reasonably accurate...and reasonable too. I did some checking, that Yubari was considered to have anywhere from 32 to 35 maximum speed (depending on what source you read), but its normal cruise speed could easily be less than that. We make a decision on what Max Speed to use, then make sure the craft doesn't list the speed between waypoints anything less than half.

I should point out, this does not mean the ship won't be heard if it drops below the set Speed= listed in the .mis file. It will be heard as expected, even if the ship is doing 2 knots. I found this out when I had that 20kt Yubari initial starting position going straight south 180 degrees, yet had the waypoint bearing at an angle from its start point. At the test mission start, it took the ship several minutes to correct for the change in direction, slowly building up speed as it changed bearing unto the end waypoint bearing. I could hear the ship just fine, below its set 20kt speed for the waypoint. Interestingly, I had two other Yubari CL's with their start bearing matching the direction of travel......the mission had them travelling at their set speed immediately after the mission start. One way, POOF, the ship is doing its set speed within seconds of the spawn. The other, it took minutes for it to come up to speed while it made the direction change.

This means circumstances like running in a slower convoy, or direction changes, or avoidance procedures will not effect a ships ability to be heard through manual hydrophone use.

If the Speed= for the ship (in its .mis file) is at least half its Max Speed= (from its .sim file) it will be heard.....no matter what speed it may end up traveling due to outside influences. We just need to keep this in mind when we make missions, or correct existing missions within FOTRS Ultimate.

================

Propbeanie, regarding the Truk video.......What a cluster puck!! That's a MESS!! The entire Japanese Naval arsenal looks like has decided to get together for a pow wow. My bottom line feelings are to make sure their lane of travel isn't restricted; eliminate most of them; make sure they exit the game on Waypoint End.
Capn,

This unit has been to weight watchers

Old 03-12-17, 06:17 PM   #4192
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Consult the JSGME documentation. You have to be sure you're getting things in the correct places before you go to "activating" the mod...
Cool. Found the "Blitzkrieg" version with the User Guide and that really is a FFM
{"Fancy Fargin' Manual" for you non-programmers)

Definitely had it installed wrong before.

My vanilla campaign had got corrupted so it was time to move on anyway. BTW, I see there is some sort of "anti-corruption" utility that is a mod for this game? Is that advisable?

Apart from FoTRS, any other "must have" mods guys would suggest?

Something to make that god awful "tool helper" text more crisp and larger font would be sweet, and something more "precise" looking for the rudder/direction dial control too.

ADDIT: Hooah!

I definitely got it installed properly and running now! Good stuff. Very well done intro cinematics I'll come up for air in a week or so after I've binged out . . .

Last edited by DicheBach; 03-12-17 at 06:26 PM.
DicheBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-17, 06:29 PM   #4193
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
See, that's what my picture had...

I wonder though Capn, if a vessel starts out a origination at a low speed, say 3 knots from origination to WayPoint 1, and let's set WayPoint one 2000 meters away, then increase the speed to whatever is desired, say 2500 meters away, and then the speed varies as the vessel / group journeys, are they then "heard" the whole trip?... It'd be a lot easier to do that, since it's much easier to deal with the RGG / Unit icon in the ME...
I'm looking at that now, I don't know what happens when a ship (warship or merchant) has that happen? What will be the result?

Quote:
I tried it, it won't work with SH4 apparently. I got an error message. That's on a Windows XP OS.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-17, 07:11 PM   #4194
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Quote:
I might see if J-G can think of a script for that... we just want the ships Class= and MaxSpeed= fields... I think...
You can 010 scan the sim files of ships and grap the max speed.
The Max speed in the dat is listed as a float so you'd need to grab that.
Old 03-12-17, 07:30 PM   #4195
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166
Default lost key

I have lost the "key" to area 51...Can someone send me a new one??(I have demoted myself from LTCMDR to a butter bar for losing it)..

Last edited by Berserker; 03-12-17 at 07:45 PM.
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 02:27 AM   #4196
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470

Quote:
I tried it, it won't work with SH4 apparently. I got an error message. That's on a Windows XP OS.

I made it for SH5. But i just tested it with my FOTRSU SH4 install and it worked fine. What error message are you getting?

Note: If you do you use it, i recommend against using the comma delimited format for importing into excel. There's a bug that some of the ships have commas instead of decimal points (as seen below) and it will totally screw up the comma delimiting. It was a very hastily thrown together program for a specific need i had at the time. I'll have to look and see if i still have the source code to fix it.

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids

Last edited by gutted; 03-13-17 at 02:41 AM.
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 02:43 AM   #4197
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470

Looked through my old projects folder. Didn't see it

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 07:40 AM   #4198
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted View Post
I made it for SH5. But i just tested it with my FOTRSU SH4 install and it worked fine. What error message are you getting?

Note: If you do you use it, i recommend against using the comma delimited format for importing into excel. There's a bug that some of the ships have commas instead of decimal points (as seen below) and it will totally screw up the comma delimiting. It was a very hastily thrown together program for a specific need i had at the time. I'll have to look and see if i still have the source code to fix it.

When I ran it I had tried both, the "Pretty" and "Comma Delimited" at different times. Actually, I did not get an error message (sorry for saying so) but it didn't do anything either after 10 minutes! I'll admit I was wondering about it, so I ran the "Task Manager" and it showed ShipDataFetcher was still "running". I let it go for another 5 minutes...still nothing, so I closed out of it thinking this thing must be in error, "hung" up. Maybe I needed the program to run for 20 minutes?

Let me ask you, the program just needs to have the path to the "main" SH4 game folder listed.....correct? That's with a mod like FOTRS Ultimate activated to the game....correct?

It's giving you the ships .cfg file information? Or, the ships .sim information?
This is important, since the .cfg file info pretty much is only used for the Recognition Manual (except for the Mast=, its used to calculate the Stadimeter found range); the .sim info is the true figures used in-game to have a model do what it does. Sometimes the two aren't the same due to the same error of having a comma where a decimal point should be. Somebody messed up.

=======

If those comma errors are still in FOTRSU we will get them out!

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 03-13-17, 07:50 AM   #4199
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
You can 010 scan the sim files of ships and grap the max speed.
The Max speed in the dat is listed as a float so you'd need to grab that.
This 010 scan...that's using a text editor, or its called 010 Scan?

Quote:
Old 03-13-17, 10:59 AM   #4200
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
This 010 scan...that's using a text editor, or its called 010 Scan?
Look here Capn.