SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-13-18, 06:15 PM   #1
Tucker
Seaman

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 0
Default Boat names when getting a new command

So it seems like every campaign I have, after my initial boat, every single new command is for the lead boat in whatever class it is. Is this normal or have I run into some kinda bug with the naming algorithm.

So for example in my current campaign, I started in Manila in 1941 with an S Class boat. That one was a randomly assigned S Class boat, S-36. Then in May of 1943 I’m given the command of USS Gar, the lead boat in her subclass. Then in January of 44, I’m given command of USS Gato, the lead boat in her class. After that in July I’m given the command of USS Balao also the lead boat of her class. And then finally I’m playing with RFB so I’m given command of USS Tench, the lead boat of the Tench class. In February of 45. Is this normal?

I’ve been given the lead boat of every class/subclass even when I’m getting the command months or even years after they have been commissioned and there are newer commissioned boats of the same class available. Like I would understand this if I was given USS Gato in early-mid 42, and then Balao in mid 43 not 1944. They had newly commissioned Gatos and Balaos that needed captains not the lead boats. And this seems to happen with every play through so I don’t think it’s a one time fluke.
Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-18, 11:26 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
So it seems like every campaign I have, after my initial boat, every single new command is for the lead boat in whatever class it is. Is this normal or have I run into some kinda bug with the naming algorithm.

So for example in my current campaign, I started in Manila in 1941 with an S Class boat. That one was a randomly assigned S Class boat, S-36. Then in May of 1943 I’m given the command of USS Gar, the lead boat in her subclass. Then in January of 44, I’m given command of USS Gato, the lead boat in her class. After that in July I’m given the command of USS Balao also the lead boat of her class. And then finally I’m playing with RFB so I’m given command of USS Tench, the lead boat of the Tench class. In February of 45. Is this normal?

I’ve been given the lead boat of every class/subclass even when I’m getting the command months or even years after they have been commissioned and there are newer commissioned boats of the same class available. Like I would understand this if I was given USS Gato in early-mid 42, and then Balao in mid 43 not 1944. They had newly commissioned Gatos and Balaos that needed captains not the lead boats. And this seems to happen with every play through so I don’t think it’s a one time fluke.
tucker,

welcome to Subsim.

yes, there is a tool where you can change your subname but it is not a Subsim download. if you are interested, send me a personal message and i will reply with the link.

good luck.

mb

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-18, 11:38 AM   #3
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Search the file in your main SH4 directory:

Your SH4 folder\Data\Roster\American\Submarine\Your class of boat

Example: Gato class---->SSGato.cfg

In this file, delete all the name units you don't like. In my cfg file, I always want the Silversides, so the file is:

[UnitClass]
ClassName=SSGato
UnitType=200
AppearanceDate=19411101
DisappearanceDate=19721015
DisplayName=US Gato

[Texture 1]
TextureName=data/Submarine/NSS_Gato/NSS_Gato_T01.tga
LightmapTextureName=data/Submarine/NSS_Gato/NSS_Gato_O01.tga
StartDate=19411231
EndDate=19421231
Frequency=1

[Texture 2]
TextureName=data/Submarine/NSS_Gato/NSS_Gato_T02.tga
LightmapTextureName=data/Submarine/NSS_Gato/NSS_Gato_O01.tga
StartDate=19430101
EndDate=19601231
Frequency=1

[Unit 1]
Name=USS Silversides (SS-236)
DOC=19411101
DOD=19460216

;************ The End ************

You can delete all the subs you don´t like and leave all you like. Do you want to send Mush Morton to a desktop work? Leave only the Wahoo. Do you like to command the Barb and don´t leave that badass Flucky Fluckey take your sub? Leave only the Barb. Also you can replace a sub with your own name, for example SS-777 USS Onkel Neal.

It works restarting campaign.

Good luck!

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-18, 02:29 PM   #4
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:

This might also happen if you had very successful careers in your previous boats, such that the first time you are eligible, the class-name boat is also the first available. I find that if I don't become a tonnage hog but assume normal actions as a real skipper might, my tonnage becomes less, I don't get the new boats so soon, and the names vary considerably.

Just another theory! Good hunting.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-18, 01:20 AM   #5
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

Quote:
So it seems like every campaign I have, after my initial boat, every single new command is for the lead boat in whatever class it is.

All that comes to mind is:

"He's taken out the lead boat in each new sub class for the last 10 years..."

I haven't seen that movie in years... I've got it around here somewhere...

I'm off to dig...

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-18, 06:07 AM   #6
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaUAK View Post
All that comes to mind is:

"He's taken out the lead boat in each new sub class for the last 10 years..."

I haven't seen that movie in years... I've got it around here somewhere...

I'm off to dig...

Barracuda
And it's a great movie!
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote