SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-07-11, 06:49 PM   #841
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude88 View Post
But again, from what I've read in the previous posts, I'm getting the sense that Steam-bought SH3.exe files do not work with H. sie's mod... and even if it did work with steam... the directions are a bit confusing to me. Even though I downloaded both your sh3.exe file and H. sie's V15D-PatchKit.7z the Patch_SH3.bat is telling me that the Checksum is wrong and therefore cannot be patched...

And if I had known the difference from the start... I too would have preferred H. sie's mod... I am a stickler for realism after all...
Tessa's sh3.exe edited under 4GB... may be therefore checksum is wrong... may be not...
Offset = 0x0000011e - byte 2f change to 0f ... and try...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 06:53 PM   #842
Anvart
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
@LGN1: I tried to fix that, used different storm-condition routines for clothes and flak.

Weather: No storm but rain.

Result: Crew animations look very ugly for crew with rain clothes (stormconditions=1) standing at flak (stormcondition=0).
Do you see animations for crew models without rain clothes...?
Why StateMachine class (animations) did not change..?

Last edited by Anvart; 01-08-11 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-07-11, 07:04 PM   #843
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

yes, without rain clothes all look good.

with rain clothes they stand still like scarecrow.
Old 01-07-11, 07:40 PM   #844
somedude88
Torpedoman

Downloads: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart View Post
Tessa's sh3.exe edited under 4GB... may be therefore checksum is wrong... may be not...
Offset = 0x0000011e - byte 2f change to 0f ... and try...
What? How do I even open the .exe to change 2f to 0f?
somedude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 09:14 PM   #845
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

Tessa's sh3.exe did not work for me either.

It is, somehow, different from the version of sh3.exe that h.sie's patcher is expecting.

The sh3.exe one gets from Steam is different still. Not only does it not work with h.sie's patcher, it is a different filesize from Tessa's (1308 KB instead of 1300 KB).

I can confirm that the Steam sh3.exe does act differently. When I run it, a Steam window pops up briefly. It will run in "offline mode," so I suspect it is checking to see whether my SHIII install is "activated" or something like that.
Old 01-08-11, 12:54 AM   #846
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22

Sorry guys, not sure what to do say. That exe is from vanilla + GWX installed. I know there are other files that are modified by this mod but unsure of which. As a last resort I could post the modified files so you wouldn't need to worry about the patcher, besides sh3.exe I need to know which other files to include.
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 01:15 AM   #847
somedude88
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
Tessa's sh3.exe did not work for me either.

It is, somehow, different from the version of sh3.exe that h.sie's patcher is expecting.

The sh3.exe one gets from Steam is different still. Not only does it not work with h.sie's patcher, it is a different filesize from Tessa's (1308 KB instead of 1300 KB).

I can confirm that the Steam sh3.exe does act differently. When I run it, a Steam window pops up briefly. It will run in "offline mode," so I suspect it is checking to see whether my SHIII install is "activated" or something like that.
You know, I really wouldn't mind shelling out another $10 for this mod, even thought I just bought the Steam version of the game just a month ago... but damn it all... I'm getting pretty sick of putting more money in Ubisoft's pocket... (granted, it's just $10, how much they profit off of that must be small if the company even profits off of it at all) for seemingly half-finished, half-assed games they don't even put the real effort into fixing... (which does seem to be a growing trend, these days... EA, Creative Assembly and SEGA, I'm looking at you...)
I know that with better, more complicated programming come's the difficulty of solving every little problem. The more complex and bigger the program, the bigger and harder every little flaw is to solve. And maybe that downward trend in quality is inevitable. But that doesn't mean I have to like it and I know it's still possible to make an awesome, bug-free, mod-free game.
I mean, let's get something straight. The modder's in this community, who quite literally work pro bono to alter the game's behavior/experience are the people that unlock the game's potential and ultimately... add like 90% more fun to the game. I bought the game because of the mod's I've seen... especially GWX. Hell, Ubisoft should be giving you modder's a cut of the profit because I sure as hell wouldn't have bought Ubisoft's SH3 if you guys weren't there.
So forgive me, H.sie. What you're doing is fine, I'm not angry or disappointed that you aren't going to submit yourself to the ridiculous pain/lengths of terraforming Ubisoft's dying world of a game. But I'd rather wait a few more years or actively find another way to get this mod implemented than throwing more money at the problem... Unless that money actually goes to the modders that are still working on this.

And... end nerd-rage.
Old 01-08-11, 01:20 AM   #848
somedude88
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
Sorry guys, not sure what to do say. That exe is from vanilla + GWX installed. I know there are other files that are modified by this mod but unsure of which. As a last resort I could post the modified files so you wouldn't need to worry about the patcher, besides sh3.exe I need to know which other files to include.
Hey... not your fault and thanks for trying. Let's just see if there is a simple, solution/loophole in the problem, (which I doubt, but am anxious to find out if possible) and hope for the best.
Old 01-08-11, 05:26 AM   #849
Andy Webber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi all,

I think i may have found a way to use this great mod but while having the original version or the Steam Version (possible but not checked yet).

I have been successfully using this mod now on my install that i did from the orginial CD (bought when the game first came out). And also i'm doing it on windows 7 64 bit.

When patched to 1.4 the only difference between the original SH3.exe and the new one is the starforce files (and so the checksum) but the main programming is the same. After all it does the same thing.

Since i bought the pack for SH3+SH4 and Uboat missions on direct to drive i simply copied the SH3 direct to drive exe into my 'work' folder. Ran the patch as instructed and replaced it into my SH3 directory that was created from the original disk install. It not only ran the mod, but also meant that i didn't need the no cd edit.

With hisie;s permission and also some help from someone that has somewhere conveient to host the file. I'll make a copy of my work file, which has the d2d exe and the current version of the mod (V15D_Beta 4).

the beauty of this is that if you rename your old SH3.exe as something else you can drag and drop the new exe into the SH3 folder and if you don't like or want to remove the mod. Just rename/delete the mod exe and you can go back to the old one.

Since this is essentially just turns into a simple drag and drop of the .exe and because of his outstanding work all credit to this should go to hisie, i just rearranged what he'd provided. Mine was just a packaging exercise.

Hope this both works and helps,
regards,
Andy
Old 01-08-11, 05:33 AM   #850
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

@Andi: Good idea (if it works). Why don't you create a JSGME ready mod. Everyone is familiar with that and noone needs to manually fiddle around in the install directory.......and it can easily be deinstalled. But there are more files necessary to make it work in all sh3 versions (some dlls whose names I don't remember).

h.sie
Old 01-08-11, 05:46 AM   #851
Andy Webber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

All i've done is drag and drop the patched sh3.exe into the original install. So we know it'll work for the original disk install. And it'll work for the version you've got sorted.

The reason i've not made it into a JGME mod is because you're still working on your mod. If i / we put out a package with the original sh3.exe from the direct to drive version. Then since it has the correct checksum people will be able to use that as a base for applying any future updates of your mod.

But if you really wanted to. The smart thing would be to make it as part of your supplemental file that you already have to enable, so that then becomes the whole mod.

Last edited by Andy Webber; 01-08-11 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-08-11, 08:00 AM   #852
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 617

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
...But there are more files necessary to make it work in all sh3 versions (some dlls whose names I don't remember)...
MissionEngine.dll
SimData.dll
StateMachine.dll
Utils.dll
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 10:14 AM   #853
Anvart
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude88 View Post
What? How do I even open the .exe to change 2f to 0f?
Use Hex Editors:
Hex Workshop
WinHex
FlexHEX
010 Editor
or other.
... but only if you know what and how to do...

Last edited by Anvart; 01-08-11 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-08-11, 10:42 AM   #854
Anvart
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareSteelBar View Post
MissionEngine.dll
SimData.dll
StateMachine.dll
Utils.dll
Right?

Old 01-08-11, 10:57 AM   #855
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 617

yep, all right.

I see you got the files already?
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote