SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-21-14, 05:51 PM   #1
sirrawrsalot
Swabbie

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
SHO get sh5.exe genericpatcher to work with steam.

Hi

First off, I'm new to these forums so I'm really sorry if I'm being redundant with this information.

I'm really sleepy after a day of work and I just wanted to write down the steps, but I thought that perhaps somebody would like to try this already so instead of cleaning up the steps and keeping the steps for myself another couple of days I'll just publish this rough draft and let you guys have any eventual laughs due to my mistakes. I will try to clean it up by tomorrow evening or so.

I do appreciate that this is not fun for anybody, so please only do this if you know what you're doing until enough people can confirm that this actually works or if I'm all wrong and making a fool out of myself.
This is kind of like a science experiment, I have results I want you guys to try to reproduce. Thank you for helping me out:

Go download "silent_hunter_5_col_1.02_eu.exe" from:
http://www.4players.de/4players.php/...oad/55318.html

Download & Install: http://legroom.net/scripts/download....=uniextract161

Right click on the "silent_hunter_5_col_1.02_eu.exe" you downloaded in step 1. choose "UniExtract to Subdir", choose "isxunpack extraction" under "Extract Method".

Step 3 should have resulted in a folder called "silent_hunter_5_col_1.02_eu"

Next get your paws on "InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer"

Start program and go to File => Open => "silent_hunter_5_col_1.02_eu\Disk1\data1.hdr"

View => Components

Click on "Game" and then "Files", find sh5.exe in the list.
save it on your desktop.

Start up Steam, right click on "Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic" => Properties => local files => Browse Local files.

Find the sh5.exe file in the list and rename it to sh5_steam.exe.

Go to your desktop and rename the sh5.exe file which you extracted from the ubisoft patches cab file to sh5_patched.exe and copy it into your silent hunter 5 folder where the sh5_steam.exe you renamed file resides.

Copy the sh5_patched.exe file so you have 2 of them, and rename one of them sh5.exe

Tadaa

Now you should be able to run the genericpatcher and update your sh5.exe file and when you launch it from steam it wont make a difference since steam is actually only launching uplay, and uplay does not seem to care if you're running a modded file or not.

Im assuming its legal because we are just getting the patch ubi made, so we are not cracking anything. It might go against steams EULA though... but then again I'm not so sure about where things stand in regards to the legality of modifying binary files on a whole. anyway hydrophone works, yay.

edit:
https://twitter.com/steam_support/st...10796128243712
https://twitter.com/deadislandgame/s...96399760142336

...seems like we should be safe.

When things go wrong
If you get an error when trying to run "InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer", please try downloading whatever file its saying that you're missing from here:
Example: http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/mscomctl.cab
Then extract the cab file and copy the file into your C:\Windows\SysWOW64 [windows 7] or c:\Windows\System32 folder, [for older versions of windows]

Start your terminal (run => cmd.exe) and type
cd<push spacebar>C:\Windows\SysWOW64 or c:\Windows\System32<push Enter key>
The prompt should change to: C:\Windows\SysWOW64 or c:\Windows\System32
Then type:
regsvr32<push spacebar>mscomctl.ocx <push Enter key>

Oh right, so the reason I wanted you to make a backup of the sh5.exe file is two fold, one is so that you can go back to the steam version if you think my idea is stupid. second, sometimes steam will overwrite your .exe file, its not happened to me yet, but i know that if you run "validate my files" it will see that you have modified your file and assume it is broken because its not the same size it knows it should be and overwrite it. So you should be covered in both cases.

Last edited by sirrawrsalot; 07-21-14 at 08:02 PM.
sirrawrsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 03:00 AM   #2
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrawrsalot View Post
Hi

First off, I'm new to these forums so I'm really sorry if I'm being redundant with this information.

This is kind of like a science experiment...
Sure is
If this works it's epic.
I don't run Steam myself but there are many other Kaleuns around that would love this.

Quote:
Im assuming its legal because we are just getting the patch ubi made, so we are not cracking anything. It might go against steams EULA though... but then again I'm not so sure about where things stand in regards to the legality of modifying binary files on a whole. anyway hydrophone works, yay.
[/I]
I do hope it is but as you say - nothing is being cracked.
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 07:03 AM   #3
sirrawrsalot
Swabbie

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Steel View Post
Sure is
If this works it's epic.
I don't run Steam myself but there are many other Kaleuns around that would love this.

I do hope it is but as you say - nothing is being cracked.
I hope somebody gets use of it, I have been playing it for a couple of days now and it seems to work fine.

Also read some threads on the steam forums, and steam seem to be fine with people modding games as long as you dont modify online games and grief, which is not at all what we are doing.
sirrawrsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 12:29 PM   #4
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrawrsalot View Post
I hope somebody gets use of it, I have been playing it for a couple of days now and it seems to work fine.

Also read some threads on the steam forums, and steam seem to be fine with people modding games as long as you dont modify online games and grief, which is not at all what we are doing.
I'm impressed.
Try to get this 'Steam method' as a sticky. Contact Neal Stevens.

Keep up the good work.
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 06:31 PM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi sirrawrsalot

I will this to my

Step By Step Tutorials & How To Do It

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=211804

Added to my Tutorial Post #125

Peter

Last edited by THEBERBSTER; 08-18-14 at 02:21 PM.
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 07:25 AM   #6
Balu0
A-ganger

Downloads: 151

Nice! I was looking for something like this. I bougth the steam version a few days ago and was banging my head to teh wall because i could not use the patcher.

I will try this as soon as I get home from work and tell you the resoults.

even if it wont work THANK YOU FOR THE EFFORT!
Balu0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 01:26 PM   #7
Balu0
A-ganger

Works Like a Charm !
Old 08-18-14, 10:18 PM   #8
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Sounds like I need to automate this process into the Generic Patcher Can someone send me their steam version of the sh5.exe? I need to read it's signature in order to automate this.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 07:05 AM   #9
Balu0
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Sounds like I need to automate this process into the Generic Patcher Can someone send me their steam version of the sh5.exe? I need to read it's signature in order to automate this.
I can help you with that, drop my a private where where should I send it.
Old 08-19-14, 08:55 AM   #10
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

I am not a Steam user but this will be great news for those who are and will have something exciting to look forward to.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 04:24 PM   #11
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Interestig thread.

A while back I had discovered with the help of a subsim mate who owns the steam varsion of the game, that replacing the Steam executable with the regular one, was enough to get the generic pather to work, while retaining intact game functionalities (including copy protection and tonnage awarding). I couldn't make the discovery fully public, as this method would have involved the sharing of SH5.exe by a private user, and I wasn't sure that Ubisoft would have considered it a legitimate method.
Apllying to the official patch, wich was made freely available by Ubisoft itself, the legitimacy of the new method suggested by the OP should definitely be out of question, though its application might be out of the reach of computer iliterates.
Automating the process into the generic patcher would be, no doubt, a further step forward. Nonetheless, I think that an unpacked version of the patch 1.12 is already available on the web. While TDW is working on his automated steam patcher, maybe some Steam user could try and replace his exe with the one of the unpacked patch.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 12:06 AM   #12
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

I figured out how to have my app extract everything from the v1.2 exe patch for the game. This extraction yields the InstallShield setup.exe and supporting files in the folder Disk1. Since I now had access to the InstallShield files I could 'see' what they were doing (or not doing in this case!). The files showed that the installer for v1.2 is NOT checking to see if the Silent Hunter 5 folder already exists nor is it checking to see if any of the files it needs to update exist. All it cares about is whether or not the required registry entries exist. Excellent, lets exploit this vulnerability!!

Now I did the below on my computer and everything worked just like I thought it would so it should work flawlessly on those with Steam installations also.

This is for those who have the Steam version of the game!

Find your \Silent Hunter 5 folder and move it to your desktop and rename it 'Silent Hunter 5 save' (cut it so it no longer exists at it's current location but rather on your desktop). Make a copy of steam's sh5.exe and name it sh5-steam.exe. Run the official v1.2 patch from Ubicrap saying yes you want to install even though you are already at v1.2. If everything goes to plan then another Silent Hunter 5 folder should've been created where your old one existed. In there you'll find the non-steam sh5.exe Copy the non-steam sh5.exe to your 'Silent Hunter 5 save' folder on your desktop. Make a copy of this new sh5.exe and name it sh5-ubi.exe. Delete the new Silent Hunter 5 folder that was created by the official 1.2 patch. Copy the 'Silent Hunter 5 save' folder to where the new Silent Hunter 5 folder was and rename it back to 'Silent Hunter 5'. Run the Generic Patcher and see if you can patch the sh5.exe.

If this all works then I will have the app automate everything so you simply click one button and it does everything for you

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 08-20-14 at 12:37 AM.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-14, 01:53 PM   #13
Balu0
A-ganger

Got one, Thx

---------------
OK my only problem left is that the uplay config still starts steam when I hit play because it is still configured that way.

There is a file here:
Ubisoft Game Launcher\cache\configuration\configurations

Yyou can open it with notepad.

Anyone not steam user would be kind enough to copy paste here the the SH 5 part so I can paste it in my config? It might work.

ty

Last edited by Balu0; 08-26-14 at 04:31 AM.
Old 09-25-14, 04:26 AM   #14
Dragonlord47
Watch

Downloads: 60

Well I was going to give this a try because I have the steam version and really want the Generic Patcher. However, Ubisoft does not download or install the v1.2 patch onto steam. Steam downloads the patch. I tried the way TheDarkWraith said to do it and ubisoft just starts up steam then steam says the folder isn't available (because its been moved to desktop)

So then I tried it the way sirrawrsalot said to do it and I can not find

Next get your paws on "InstallShield_Cabinet_File_Viewer"

Any where. not as a free download or as a purchase software. I find help me files every where but nothing linking to where I can download for free or purchase. Nothing. What sucks is all I need is that SH5.exe v1.2 and I am pretty sure it would work.

I have another game through steam that required me to do that (just change the Steams .exe with the non steam .exe and steam still saw the game and ran. Is there an easier way to get the one file that I need to test this.

Any help would be great and thanks everyone for spending so much time getting a broken game to work so great.
Dragonlord47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 05:00 AM   #15
Echolot
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 567

Hello Dragonlord47.

Check your pm box, please.

Echolot is offline   Reply With Quote