SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-02-18, 09:17 PM   #1
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4
Default How do you make a FAST torpedo solution?

Hi,
there are a lot of tutorials and videos about how to make a long-lasting target follow-up like the 4-bearing with the hydrophone, visual collection of speed and distance with the help of the Stadimeter etc.
Once you have completed your data collection you indeed have the perfect torpedo solution afterwards. Problem is: all these methods take time, a precise collection will last at least 15-20 minutes, although I'm sure experts will do it much faster.

But what do you do in the following scenario:
Your sonar reports a target closing that must be as close as 1500m.
It's dark night, assume you see pretty nothing, even at close range, maybe you will see some shape of a ship, but not enough to use Stadimeter. Maybe you see just enough to measure roughly its speed between 2 hastly taken bearings.
OR: It's a sunny day, you see everything but the target goes at really high speed and you are NOW in almost perfect position. But if you don't shoot now, say good bye to the target. (You may ask how I got in this situation and not doing my homework before, but this can happen e.g. after a target has detected you, changed his course and speed up to 20+ knots, yet presenting to you a good firing solution.)
Essentially, in such a case, you DON'T have the time to fool around by plotting an elaborated heading on the map. You must act NOW or the target will be gone.

So in scenarios like this, how do you feed the TDC for a reasonable torpedo solution for a spread of 2-3 torpedos where 1 or more would reasonably hit? Is there a way to make a good guessing work?

I am already used to bypass most calculations once I know the speed and course of a target: All I do then is: I feed the perpendicular distance to the heading in the TDC (Bearing), I chose a AOB of 90 and set the gyro angle at zero (my sub's heading pointing to the impact point). Then, the periscope bearing will tell me when to shoot the torpedo (I set my sonar guy to report the bearings, once the ship passes the set bearing: I start to fire). In my fast scenario, the problem would be to get the course and speed FAST. Problem is getting the speed. Once I get it I'm ok because I have only 2 of the 4 TDC values to gather to fire at 90, so it should simplify things.

What would you do, what is your solution to this problem?
Thanks for your insights, and if you know some tutorials that cover such FAST solution findings, I appreciate a lot!

Cheers,

Last edited by XenonSurf; 01-02-18 at 09:57 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 12:31 PM   #2
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 348
Uploads: 0

if you have silhouette of ship you can get speed with jdag chronometer its quick and accurate

Empty Cup has some decent tutorials worth checking out

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8b...hmZVW97z4py7xA

Last edited by Cyborg322; 01-03-18 at 12:40 PM.
Cyborg322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-18, 02:10 PM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi XS
Quote:
But what do you do in the following scenario:
Your sonar reports a target closing that must be as close as 1500m.
Sonar should be reporting a contact at over 20km away.

In this tutorial you do not see the target as all the information comes from the sonar.

Quote:
It's dark night, assume you see pretty nothing,
Unless it is a medium or heavy fog then your watch crew should be reporting a visual contact depending on the conditions.

Another way you can calculate the targets speed as long as you know it's length.
Post #235 How To Calculate A Targets Speed By Using The Periscope Cross Hairs

If you are able to identify the target then this is useful tutorial.
Post #108 U-Jagd Tutorial For Silent Hunter
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 08:31 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Thank you very much, Cyborg, Peter, for your useful infos, I will go through it. Playing SH5 in realistic mode is harder than I thought, also it's the only SH in the series where I feel the pain of a commander making right decisions that are on the balance

For the 'Jagd'-Chrono procedure the target must be at pretty right angle to be precise, also the zoom factor of your optics doesn't matter, right ?

Thanks for taking the time to go through my (too long) post, I appreciate
Old 01-04-18, 02:29 PM   #5
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post

For the 'Jagd'-Chrono procedure the target must be at pretty right angle to be precise, also the zoom factor of your optics doesn't matter, right ?
No is the answer for both questions...But you should move as slow as possible or put the target at your 12 o'clock while taking measurement.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 02:36 PM   #6
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Thank you very much, Cyborg, Peter, for your useful infos, I will go through it. Playing SH5 in realistic mode is harder than I thought, also it's the only SH in the series where I feel the pain of a commander making right decisions that are on the balance

Thanks for taking the time to go through my (too long) post, I appreciate
Hi XenonSurf

I should of put U-jagd to be exact , it works at any angle any zoom, its a little more difficult to judge the bow and aft of the ship at too acute an angle that's all. The length of the ship only needs to be approximate to get a reasonably accurate speed calculation

and yeah I forgot to mention comments from vdr aka Vecko but it's all in the video

Simon

Last edited by Cyborg322; 01-04-18 at 02:45 PM.
Cyborg322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 12:08 PM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Thank you again for your inputs, that's all very useful
I will have to train these techniques by playing some single missions.

Cheers,