SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-26-17, 07:01 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default little confused regarding .zon and .cfg for subs

Decided I don't like having such durable hulls(even though being able to sit on bottom if needed is nice.

I've reworked things in the .zon files. Basically the S class has less durable hull, can't dive very deep. Always wondered why never took much damage in s class.Well the armor level was set on 15 while Gato and Balao etc was 12 lol. DC's are set to penetrate armor level of 12. Reduced S class armor way down to 6(cant go too low or even AA gun fire will eat your hull up quickly) with much reduced depth can survive at.

Fleetboat wise there is a progression, old riveted hull boats like Porpoise class are still strong as they were but not on level of the Gato, Balao etc.

Believe I read the game will use data in each subs .cfg over the .zon correct?

I noticed differences in crash depth, What is crash depth? S3D says its the max depth a sub survives but then in .cfg there is an entry for "maxiumum deptttth" and crash depth. Take the Tambor/Gar for example. Gar does not have a .zon file(assume it uses Tambor?) but in it's cfg it says crash depth is 75 meters. Roughly 250 feet. Thats test depth. See how this can be confusing?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 09:15 PM   #2
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

First thing, don't believe everything you read on the internet. Some sources say the early Porpoise class had two diesels instead of four, and riveted hulls, but they actually were the first all welded hulls with four diesels. Primary difference between the Porpoise and later classes was the length and size of the torpedo rooms to accommodate more tubes and storage, the main pressure hull (although slightly thicker on Balao) was the same 16 foot diameter all welded cylinder.

As for all the questions, keep in mind two things;

1. Ubisoft was in Romania, translation to English sometimes missed the target. "Crash" depth in the CFG file is the depth at which the crew automatically levels off when a crash dive is ordered. Crash depth in the ZON file was incorrectly translated, that should read CRUSH depth. The MAX depth in the CFG file actually only controls the red needle on the deep depth gauge in the HUD, crash depth in the ZON file is the actual max depth beyond which the damage starts. Simplest hack is to double the hit points and change the "crash speed" from 2.0 to 0.2 so there's more tolerance for damage and the crush damage is slower.

2. SH4 is actually SH3 expansion - they started with SH3, added some files, changed others, deleted some files that were not used for the "new" game but left in a bunch of unused files and datablocks. The ZON files for each sub control the hull damage, but the internal equipment is in the zones.cfg file with various U-boat types applied to the fleet boats. For example [RudderXXI] controls how hard or easy it is to destroy the rudder on all fleet boats. Since there are assorted surface ships mixed in along with sub types used in SH3 but not used in SH4, you need a lot of trial and error - and keep notes.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-17, 09:58 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
First thing, don't believe everything you read on the internet. Some sources say the early Porpoise class had two diesels instead of four, and riveted hulls, but they actually were the first all welded hulls with four diesels. Primary difference between the Porpoise and later classes was the length and size of the torpedo rooms to accommodate more tubes and storage, the main pressure hull (although slightly thicker on Balao) was the same 16 foot diameter all welded cylinder.

As for all the questions, keep in mind two things;

1. Ubisoft was in Romania, translation to English sometimes missed the target. "Crash" depth in the CFG file is the depth at which the crew automatically levels off when a crash dive is ordered. Crash depth in the ZON file was incorrectly translated, that should read CRUSH depth. The MAX depth in the CFG file actually only controls the red needle on the deep depth gauge in the HUD, crash depth in the ZON file is the actual max depth beyond which the damage starts. Simplest hack is to double the hit points and change the "crash speed" from 2.0 to 0.2 so there's more tolerance for damage and the crush damage is slower.

2. SH4 is actually SH3 expansion - they started with SH3, added some files, changed others, deleted some files that were not used for the "new" game but left in a bunch of unused files and datablocks. The ZON files for each sub control the hull damage, but the internal equipment is in the zones.cfg file with various U-boat types applied to the fleet boats. For example [RudderXXI] controls how hard or easy it is to destroy the rudder on all fleet boats. Since there are assorted surface ships mixed in along with sub types used in SH3 but not used in SH4, you need a lot of trial and error - and keep notes.

I based my setting for Porpoise class on data read AND on books I read, specifically "The Luck of the Draw" by Captain Ken Ruiz, who served multiple patrols on Pollack(porpoise) class. Ruiz said his boats hull was riveted. They were in an out of control dive while evading a destroyer and made it to 520 feet I believe before he was able to get the sub under control.

Thanks for response after some review and testing I figured the crash in .cfg is the crash dive depth, max depth is the test depth. Depth in .zon should say crush depth as you mentioned.

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 07-03-17 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-03-17, 12:49 AM   #4
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

I stand corrected. Most Porpoise class were welded, but the four built at Portsmouth, including the Pollack, were indeed riveted. The rest were built at Mare Island or Electric Boat, those were all welded.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 08:51 AM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper297 View Post
I stand corrected. Most Porpoise class were welded, but the four built at Portsmouth, including the Pollack, were indeed riveted. The rest were built at Mare Island or Electric Boat, those were all welded.
No problem. Interesting. Porpoise class are still pretty strong in my mod but compared to say a Gato or Balao are not and settings reflect the riveted hull. I can confirm boat will go to 500 + feet and survive with a non damaged hull.