SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-06-17, 08:16 AM   #1
padmack
Mate

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0
Default [tec] cloning and dat files

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=204743

Basically, posted in sh4 workshop but probably should be here as I'm modding sh3 now...

Are there any issues to be noted regarding buoyancy, COG and displacement after cloning a unit date file?

I have cloned and replaced the 3d model, adjusted nodes but the model is ctd every time and I can't nail why.

Any help here regarding pitfalls greatly appreciated.

As mentioned in the op I am prepared to send the dat file for a look over by one of the more experienced Modders here - I am teaching myself

Thanks in advance

padmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-17, 02:19 PM   #2
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Hi padmack,

I have had a look into at your other thread in the SHIV section, and your model looks nice

I wish I could help you, but nailing your mistake by simply looking into your file can be hard, if you don't tell us what file you have used as base of your work, what changes you have done, and t which point your model started crashing the game.

If you can't provide us with this information, my suggestion is to start over again importing your model in one of stock units. Everyone has his own method. The one I use is:

choose the stock unit you want to use as base for importing your own model in it, based on its similarity with your model.

Copy its files, and make them in a mod that you can enable/disable using JSGME.

Scrap all the non-essential files from it, i.e. dsd, val, zon, eqp and sns files.

Rename all the remaining files/folders so that they wont overwrite the corresponding stock files.

Simplificate the dat file, removing from it all the unneded nodes, and don't forget to also delete all the sim file controllers that might point to nodes already removed from the dat file.

Remap the Id's of the remaining chunks both in the dat and in the sim file, making sure that controllers in the latter file are ponting to their own parent objects after you have changed their id.

Start replacing the stock meshes with your own meshes, one by one. You will probably get to move/rotate some nodes, in order to make all your model subpart to be in the correct place relative to the ship hull.

When you have finished dong that, you can deal with physic parameters in the sim file.

When you have done with that, start adding back features to your ship (water reflections, caustics, sound effects, wake effects, damage boxes and spheres), one by one.

At each step, and every time you make a significant change to your unit, test your changes in game. If the shio is not crashing the game and you are satisfied with your last changes, don't forget to save a backup copy of your latest file. If the above conditons are not satisfied, get back to your last working backup, and start editing it where you had left it. If, while trying to add a certain feature or to edit a given parameter, the ship keeps crashing the game, or if simply you don't know how to obtain something you have in mind, just explain here what you are trying to do and what is the problem, and I am sure you will get plenty of help
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-17, 10:14 PM   #3
padmack
Mate

Sound. Great advice. I'll try to do this when I get the chance and report my results in due course.

Thanks for your help

Old 10-18-17, 01:17 PM   #4
padmack
Mate

Finally, with some serious faffing about I have succeeded in getting this to appear correctly.

It's been a struggle - despite the excellent pointers from the members here. It is, perhaps an area worth having a dummies guide/step by step walk-through. The above mentioned correlation between val files and those ids in the dat files is elementary to me NOW but a couple of weeks ago was like staring into a cave!

I need to hone my approach by tweaking to get wakes and particles correct (for example) but I feel I have come through the worst of it the better for it. Now I can work on getting my other ship models into the engine for further testing under fire.

Old 01-07-18, 05:28 AM   #5
padmack
Mate

Default progress

It is a nice thing to see the models you've created finally move through the seas as intended.

These are all works in progress.