to do this
Old 01-26-10, 01:42 PM   #17
Sgtmonkeynads
Ships Secretary

Downloads: 614
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaciejK View Post
Isn't it incredible that with every news item bout the game it is looking worse and worse...
Maybe that is why it was all quiet on their front for so long ?
If I was them, I would be here fighting tooth and nail in order to squash the rumors of all things bad.
The absence of any word on so many subjects before makes me think that they are trying to figure out how far they can go and how much ( or how little ) they could get away with before they had to announce a delayed release. Then they will blame the delay on the outcry of loyal fans about DRM.
In time the game is released with all missing features and years, so they will not have to admit to originally wanting to release an unfinished game.
Old 01-26-10, 01:47 PM   #18
Navarre
Helmsman

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyOctober View Post
Ubisoft is both developer and publisher of SH5
Right and the developers have only two choices, either do what the company claims for or losing their jobs, the latter in nowadays times not very pleasant and certainly not in Eastern Europe.
Navarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 01:47 PM   #19
Kapitanleutnant
Frogman

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtmonkeynads View Post
before they had to announce a delayed release.
I think the incredibly short development timetable shows Ubi are determined to get this thing out the door before the end of the financial year. Why? I don't know, it's just a hunch.
Old 01-26-10, 01:51 PM   #20
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

yes, but think of how many people who were going to buy the game will affect them...

I wonder... what is the estimant on the # of priated copys on sh3/4?
Old 01-26-10, 01:54 PM   #21
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
I have no problem with this because I want Ubisoft to make as much money as possible with SH5 so this franchise can continue. Subsims are a rare breed and if this helps stop the piracy of SH5 then so be it.

I used to feel that way...and then I discovered that Santa was *********g the Tooth Fairy. Also, this nonsense will have zero impact on piracy.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 01:54 PM   #22
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

Quote:
I have no problem with this because I want Ubisoft to make as much money as possible with SH5 so this franchise can continue. Subsims are a rare breed and if this helps stop the piracy of SH5 then so be it.
Why the hell would you pay into a system that just puts out more and more crap? Each one worse then the last! Geeezz....just send me your money. Let them go out of business. It will take time but someone else will come along and fill the nich...maybe do it better!
Lanzfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 01:56 PM   #23
Tomp
Swabbie

Downloads: 7
Default DRM

I have no problem with Steam. In fact, if I had to buy a downloadable game, I'd rather have Steam than some of the other download purchased games I've owned. Most require you to email or call their company to get the license renewed whenever you rebuild or buy a new system. Steam is pretty simple and works well in that regard.

My biggest gripe with Ubi has been the quality of the product at release! I wasn't exactly happy to find that SH3 crashed as often as it did at release. In fact, many had problems just getting it installed! SH4 was little better. And with the problems UBI had with Starforce, they should have rejected the scheme before even releasing it. If they didn't know it would cause so many problems they must not have tested it enough!

Anyway, I think I'll wait to hear the gripes before getting in this time. Let's see if they learned their lesson.

Tom P.
Old 01-26-10, 01:59 PM   #24
MaciejK
Torpedoman

Downloads: 45

Quote:
Do you work for Ubi?

Hmm...ok, so if we all rush to the stores and buy SH5 they will think sth like "look, they looove our new half-finished game. Let's release "Silent Hunter 6 - The Battle of Pearl Harbor". Let's give the players one midget submarine with one torpedo and let them play on 7th of December 1941 ONLY!!! And later Silent Hunter 7 - Kriegsmarine U-Boot Deck Gun Trainer"
Old 01-26-10, 01:59 PM   #25
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
It's people like you who make these draconian DRM's possible (no offence meant).

And no, it wont stop piracy. I dont know how clear the signs have to be for the game developers to understand the simple fact that; If it's made by human, it can be cracked by another. Only DRM method I can quickly think that would work is to make all games run from a server, nothing is installed to the players computer except shortcut that connects the player to a server and starts sending data to the player somehow so that it doesnt store it anywhere on the players PC. But I dont see something like that coming anytime soon.

EDIT: Ow yeh, and yes this will affect my purchase. Not going to get it until there's a DRM free version.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 02:00 PM   #26
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

What does Steam have to do with this?
Old 01-26-10, 02:02 PM   #27
MaciejK
Torpedoman

Downloads: 45

I know a good way of limiting piracy - release well polished games with good manuals not avaliable as PDF plus eventually some serial numbers etc or words from certain pages of manual to be entered before the game. Like the old days. Like 688 Attack Sub. Good game, great manual, great lot of info on subs.
Old 01-26-10, 02:03 PM   #28
Kapitanleutnant
Frogman

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake View Post
What does Steam have to do with this?
Not much, but Steam is an example of a good, unintrusive online authentication service.
Old 01-26-10, 02:04 PM   #29
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitanleutnant View Post
Not much, but Steam is an example of a good, unintrusive online authentication service.
Oh dear... *waits for Steamwake's ranting post*

(atleast I think it was Steamwake who wasnt that fond of Steam. )
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-10, 02:09 PM   #30
Sgtmonkeynads
Ships Secretary

Downloads: 614

I had a game called Gunboat, a long time ago. At the beginning of each mission, you had to enter the base. In order to do so you had to give the days password in form of an answer to a question, and had to use a wheel cypher to figure it out. I just thought of how it was really an anti pirate device the other day. This is from a game 15 years old, why not do the same thing now? I'd be cheaper, since that is what it's all about now isn't it?