0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-10, 10:14 AM   #16
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I won't argue with that, it definitely is a concern.
Old 01-26-10, 10:25 AM   #17
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169
Uploads: 0

Now it has been officially confirmed by an Ubisoft employee in the German SH5 forum, SH5 will contain exactly this new protection:

- you need an Ubisoft online account to activate SH5
- Save games be stored online on Ubisoft server
- PC must be throughout the playing session connected to the internet
Old 01-26-10, 10:26 AM   #18
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Link?
Old 01-26-10, 10:28 AM   #19
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeadler View Post
Now it has been officially confirmed by an Ubisoft employee in the German SH5 forum, SH5 will contain exactly this new protection:

- you need an Ubisoft online account to activate SH5
- Save games be stored online on Ubisoft server
- PC must be throughout the playing session connected to the internet
What??!!

Somehow I think something was lost in the translation....
Old 01-26-10, 10:32 AM   #20
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

I read that "Rise of Flight" is dropping the requirement to be connected to the internet the whole time you are playing in the next patch. Wouldnt this suggest that this approach is a fail?
Old 01-26-10, 10:32 AM   #21
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by longam View Post
Link?
post in the German Q&A thread
by Ubi_AnnikV one of the German Ubisoft community managers

http://forums-de.ubi.com/eve/forums/...161085487/p/14
Old 01-26-10, 10:42 AM   #22
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake View Post
What??!!

Somehow I think something was lost in the translation....
Why are you surprised ? Customers oops I meant consumers are the ENEMY.
EA doesn't give a damn about customers and they still sell a lot. Activision doesn't give a damn about customers and yet they still manage to sell a lot.
Why would Ubisoft have to be a nice publisher ? Just treat everyone like scum and wait for the money to start trickling in.

Really the only way not to get scammed by these publishers is to WAIT until they release a DRM free version of their games. If it means you'll be playing it 2-3 years down the road so be it. If they never release a DRM free version don't buy it. In any other case suck it up like a man and play the damn game. But don't come complaining afterwards about how draconian the DRM is.
Old 01-26-10, 10:53 AM   #23
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

If you've ever tried to connect to Ubisoft servers, then you'll know what bad news online DRM would be for Silent Hunter 5. Combined with this statement from a German Game Reviewer.....

'we still have to fight with crashes, control issues, graphic glitches and AI errors in this demo version'.

starts to give me a very bad feeling. I don't wish to be one of the ranters on the Forum at all, but for me, if this game is going to be as buggy as SHIV was at release, and on top of that I have to connect with Ubisoft servers in order to play it, then that would be the deal breaker for me.
Old 01-26-10, 10:53 AM   #24
goldorak
Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
I'm betting all PC games will go to online authentication eventually. True, there are a few people on the planet who play games in their doublewide without internet accesss, and there are occasions where internet access is not available to play, but the PC gamer is usually connected to the web 24/7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
There are still a lot of people who don't have phone lines let alone an internet connection, and a lot with only 56k dialup modems, would cost a phone call every time they wanted to play, that sucks!!

Mr Neal Stevens, it doesn't matter if the pc is or isn't connected to the internet 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Its a matter of principle. The moment a third party dicates what you can and cannot do to the game you have PURCHASED well you haven't purchased anything but a promise that they will let you use it. God know for how much time, and if they decide to cut you off you're f **** d.
Let me ask you, would you find acceptable to ask a third party for authorization everytime you would like to read a book in your personal library ?
I bet you wouldn't. See its the same issue. Giving up what you legally PURCHASED.
Old 01-26-10, 11:01 AM   #25
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

ALL ABOARD!! Next stop monthly access fees starting at $14.99!

Some may laugh and think that's ludicrous, but Ubi has to maintain those servers somehow.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
Old 01-26-10, 11:03 AM   #26
Kapitanleutnant
Frogman

Downloads: 22

Quote:
Silent Hunter 5 contains our new on-line services: You can install your play on as many as desired computers, your SaveGames become for on-line stored and you can her up from everywhere call and will play no more DVD/CD in the drive assembly needed. In order to ensure this, the play must be linked with Ubi.com and the PC must during the entire play time with the Internet be connected.
Okaaaaaay....
Old 01-26-10, 11:04 AM   #27
Gilbou
Chief

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
When they all become online auth, I guess you won't be playing games? .
Yes. I will be playing my old games and I will vote with my wallet by not buying DRM-crippled games.

I have been buying games for years. Half of the time, I had to crack legit copies of the games I bought and be annoyed because most servers I wanted to play online required Punkbuster (which of course did not validate my genuine but cracked game).

And the crackers ? I checked on Bit torrent and Pirate bay. They are not only distributing copies of the game, but those copies have protection removed, so the pirates are happily playing the game without any hassle. They dont buy the games, they play them and they are not buying the game, getting home to find out that there's a problem between the game protection and my PC.

All I see is : they don't pay the games, I do.
They suffer NONE of the problems the copy protection has done to me.

So why do I bother ? Seriously ?

Since the last few years, I had to apply cracks to over half of the games I bought (and I bought them full price, not for 10 euro several years after they got published).

Vegas 1 : had to crack it.
Splinter cell : all except the very first one, I had to crack it to play
(and I am not telling about the 4 XP reinstalls I had to do because Starforce broke the system)
VC : got a new PC and had to crack it to install.. worked fine before.
The list goes on.

On my shelf where I store all the PC games I own, 2/3 require a crack to either install or play. And I bought all those games.

I have two CD-Rom readers on my PC : the previous one from my previous PC because the first Splinter Cell only validates using this one, I had to buy an external DVD reader/writer because I got 2 games that only validate protection with it... And the rest of the games don't validate with my previous CD-Rom reader, the current DVD one and the external DVD one.

The pirates are right now distributing every game I own with protection removed. They don't care, and they don't have the problems I had/have.
I have checked : for every game I have been in trouble with, I found cracked versions, downloaded them and discovered they had no protection at all. They just removed it.

So why do the editors keep crippling us ? The serial number to play online is a good idea. You can play your game on your PC at home, for years when it's not protected. When you want to play online, a check is made. That's how things should be. Because the pirates already distribute cracked games without protection, and because where the editors can nail them and hurt them is when they want to play online. This is where the editors should hit the crackers : when they try to play online.

I bought Vegas 2 : can't play it with friends. I had to sell it without ever playing it. Vegas 1 ? Only works if I crack it. Since most servers use Punk Buster I cannot join them. When I play with friends, we have to keep the server with a password to avoid cheaters that are interested by my Punkbuster-free server here at home....
Ubisoft support could not help me (I have 3 DVD-readers, am I supposed to keep buying them until I found one that works for each of my games ? And who will refund me for buying hardware that doesn't solve the problem ?)

Securom never bothered to answer me. I did use their tool, did three reports and asked for help. It's been six monthes over. Ubisoft doesn't care if Securom does no support, they each send the ball back at each other.

Meanwhile, crackers are distributing the games, full cracked and they even go play online... Great job.

I did play with three friends all the time in the last few years. We had created a kind of "clan" with our own online forum, we have over 10 members, and we all did buy each FPS-like game we liked. So each time there was a good game we bought it in group to play together online. We played all the Ghost Recon series games, all the Rainbow Six series games, and so on.

It all broke down. Because in the latest games we bought, about half of us had problems with copy protection : so people could not install the game. Or the game would install but then it would fail to connect to the online authentication server. And when it worked, you still had to cope with unfinished games, full of bugs and crashes. And each evening of play where about 1/3 to 1/2 the players were able to play... We had to restart the server between 3 and 5 times over 3/4 hours of play because it would either freeze or crash.

Today it's all gone. All players I played everyday with, good friends, are nowhere to be seen. I have only kept contact with two of them : one I tried to play online (Vegas1 and Vegas2 fiasco....) and failed. The other went back to play older games we played (Rainbox Six Ravenshield and VC) and all the others are only playing cracked games they download, because they were fed up of buying games full price, not be able to play.

Copy protection did break the community of friends I played with. This is reality.

You have no idea of what I could do to an Ubisoft representative talking to me about copy protection. I would probably break his both arms and legs just for fun. They ruined my gaming environment and ruined the small gaming community we slowly built over the last then years with friends. All gone because of copy protection and online authentication failing (about half players could not authenticate 50 % of each evening we tried to play at any Ubisoft Ghost Recon recent games online authentication....).

If SH5 does indeed require online authentication, I will buy SH3, install a mod and leave the SH5 and later versions series like I did give up on the Ghost Recon series and the Rainbow Six series and Splinter Cell too.

No surprise editors only try to sell to console players. It's not that PC people are no longer buying games, they're just disgusted to see crackers play at home and online without any hassle while we either can't install copy protected games, can install them but we're having trouble with online authentication, having to send to the editors PROOFS of purchase and wait between one or two weeks for an answer that half of the time, doesn't solve the problem, and most of the time they tell you to change your PC (albeit you bought it less than a month ago....) or to buy hardware (and when you do and it doesn't work they tell you to buy more DVD-readers until it works).

Some editors have realized this and their latest games have NO copy protection at all. Because if it had, a few weeks after the release the game will be downloadable with no protection at all online. And because people know they can buy the game without fear of having problems. This is where my money is going.

Just read about the Starforce fiasco. The Sony hidden-software scandal of the recent years. And keep in mind that you go to pirate bay and within a minute you can start downloading any protected game and not only play on PC but very often even play online. And then think about people like me that saw his community of friends broken and torn away because as each game went out, each evening less and less people could come play online, sometimes not even install the game.

I do not disklike copy protection. I utterly hate it to a level you are far from being able to imagine. And if I ever meet an official moron from a game company that patronizes me, I will torn him to pieces where he stands.

I will go back to the old games. And I will only buy unprotected ones.

I've had enough, Neal. Really.
Old 01-26-10, 11:05 AM   #28
Lanzfeld
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 64

I never did mind the disk in the tray but like everything else I liked.......no more.
Old 01-26-10, 11:06 AM   #29
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Wait, this is a joke right?

'cause this would move my stance from "will buy no matter what" to "won't buy untill hell freezes over".

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Old 01-26-10, 11:06 AM   #30
Sulikate
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 32

Sad but true: it will take about -3 days before release date for someone to crack the online activation/save system. I'll still buy my copy and do as they say (even though I find it ridiculous), but I wonder why insist on bothering legit buyers when they know it won't keep piracy away for a single second.

Closed Thread