SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-19-17, 09:37 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Microsoft rang the panic bell on W7 again - and received a rebuttal

http://www.infoworld.com/article/315...modern-it.html

I had to giggle when reading "Clearly, organizations that pay for Enterprise E3 or E5 licenses, and have the staff necessary to implement and maintain the advanced security packages (...)". - Too many private users and small business owners out there who found themselves being left in the porked update rain of whcih W10 has introduced too many already. All financial losses they had due to broken systems on a working day were at their expenses, of course - not Microsoft's.

Those of you who want to still trust in updates for W7, you will get "security updates" - of which not all necessarily must be about your security - until some time in 2020.

Feel free after that time to continue without updates for soem more years to come, with the needed caution and self-limitation in online use, of course. I do it since over one year this way already.

The biggest threat to W7 users is that newer hardware in a new system you buy, new Intel and nVidia chips, may have blocked driver support for W7, following pressure by Microsoft that hopes to get W7 users this way into W10, by force. Advise is to inform yourself before you buy and maybe pass on the newest, latest hardware. Often one generation-older hardware still can fully fulfill your needs. And you save money this way, too. After having bought a second system (laptop) with Linux for all non-gaming things, I plan to get a sysetm replacement for gaming later this year, as reserve for my current one which now is several years old already. One day it will break down, of course. Possible that I even will buy a second gfx card that day as well, and keep it in reserve. Preferrably one that still allows to run it with an older nVidia driver that does not force you to have nVidia experience running all the time in the background. While shadowplay worked nicely, when I tested it, my HD was spinning every second all day long with Experience on, and nVidia also has gone into the sniffing business with its policy changes over its gfx drivers.

Short before christmas I learned from somebody who knows this kind of stuff for professional reasons that not just the Russian KGB, but the German BND as well has started to buy every mechanical typewriter they could find.

Last edited by Skybird; 01-19-17 at 09:48 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-17, 10:36 AM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Many European governments use Linux for security reasons. I don't know how you could possibly run a large corporation with Windows any more. Even if Microsoft is 100% honest, the bad guys can use native Windows spyware to get your info and be completely stealthy. No anti-virus or anti-malware detection will blow the whistle on official Microsoft procedures and processes.

Two years ago, Microsoft Security Essentials sought out and eliminated spyware. Now Windows IS spyware and all anti-malware is silent about it.

The latest big expose is how the large drug chains in the US are selling off medical records, "scrubbed" of personally identifiable features by their definitions, for big money. The buyers simply partner with database marketing companies who reunite their "scrubbed" records with your personal information (accuracy over 95%) and suddenly, Microsoft Edge is popping ads at you to sell you your Depends if you need them.

People need to go to prison for a long time. Microsoft is bad, but only one of many companies who have made that sharp turn from meeting customers' needs to preying upon their victims. Make it clear to all advertisers that your automatic and final decision is never to buy as a result of ads on your computer or calls on your telephone. Announce it to every caller "you've just eliminated yourself from my budget." Same for every "personalized" computer ad or cell phone ad. The only way these will stop is if they don't work.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-17, 03:04 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

If the number of people agreeing to do bad becomes the majority, illegal turns into legal and evil becomes good. In the land of the blind not all the blind are the sick ones, but ill is the one who sees.

Richard Matheson's classic novel (not that stupid happy-ending Hollywood movie) "I am Legend" is right about that.