SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-20-17, 12:30 PM   #961
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Everything seems ok now. At start when I opened my internet for the first time today, I got the same message as before. Ignored this warning and continued my surf around. About 20 minutes ago I got a notice saying we have an update for you(something like that) clicked on restart- After I opened my IE I could access both Google and youtube no problems at all.

I am however planning on download Chrome and use that instead.

Thank you all for your help.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-17, 06:32 AM   #962
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I'm posting this as an informational item that may be of interest to some of you out there:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/hack-lets...222921730.html

I can't vouch for its efficacy, so you're on your own...

EDIT:

Just noted the article does not have a specified link to the 'patch'; here is another article on same, with link:

http://www.computerworld.com/article...ned-patch.html

<O>
Old 04-21-17, 07:45 AM   #963
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Everything seems ok now. At start when I opened my internet for the first time today, I got the same message as before. Ignored this warning and continued my surf around. About 20 minutes ago I got a notice saying we have an update for you(something like that) clicked on restart- After I opened my IE I could access both Google and youtube no problems at all.

I am however planning on download Chrome and use that instead.

Thank you all for your help.

Markus
Notice that MS never admitted they had a problem. That's troubling.

Folks, this isn't going to get better. Microsoft is devolving before our eyes, changing from Dr Jekyl to Mr Hyde, and unlike the story, the real transformation is usually a one-way deal. Even if you LOVE Microsoft, it's time to formulate and get comfortable with an exit strategy.

Barnacles Nerdgasm loved Microsoft. He worked for them for fifteen or twenty years. He led development teams. He was laid off with everyone else who represented the idea that prosperity comes as a side effect of service to mankind. Representing truth is sometimes costly. But it costs less than joining the thugs.

As companies like Adobe realize that Microsoft no longer serves the needs for which it was created, they will move to other operating systems. After all, who has more money to spend for applications, one who spent $100 to $200 to buy Microsoft Windows or someone who uses a free operating system that works much better?

When these commercial companies pick a preferred Linux distro, that will finally give the Linux world a nucleus. Not that other distros will go away, but they will make good and sure that they are compatible with whatever preferred distro, I predict Ubuntu, the commercial world selects.

There will be some distros who retain Linux' traditional hatred of all things commercial (the hippies of Linux, cute, harmless and fun. They tend to be very creative and benefit the ecosystem. If you find one you can feed 'em). That also will be healthy for everyone.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-17, 07:55 AM   #964
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
EDIT:

Just noted the article does not have a specified link to the 'patch'; here is another article on same, with link:

http://www.computerworld.com/article...ned-patch.html

<O>
Shades of GWX Control Panel! As a permanent strategy, it's probably doomed, as Microsoft will just switch the CPU blacklist routine from file to file. But it is a great idea to force Microsoft to spend more time and money on Windows 7. That way they have less resources to further destroy Windows 10.

Sometimes it's not about fixing something. It's about punishing the bad guys.
Old 04-22-17, 01:21 PM   #965
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

A major problem with "hacks" like that, is that they are in "direct violation of the User's Agreement policy", and MS will either deep-six the hack with other updates, and / or they may resort to disabling of the user's OS, as per the license agreement... They have that "power" in Windows 10, and possibly in Win7 & 8, but I'm not sure. Probably depends on the "updates" that are installed. This is what we get with "Licensed Updates" aka "Subscription-based Software". Almost all the companies I used to purchase software from are doing this crap now, including, but not limited to: Microsoft, Adobe, Steven Slate, Waves, and others that I can't think of now. Absolutely disgusting. This is worse than the DRM garbage that prevents a "purchaser" of a DVD or BD from backing-up their original disk for archive purposes, but which also gets in the way of my "user-created content"... I better quit. I'm really disgusted with the "trend" of the digital world. They're even got this crap in refrigerators and clothes dryers... Yikes! - What? You mean my cell phone is spying on me ~too~?!?!?!!! Yes it is, even when you've turned it off... why else did they force you to upgrade to a minimum of 3G comm?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 04-22-17 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Apparently, I use an MS Sprelling Checker...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 01:33 PM   #966
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Yes, the cloud. It's why I went out of my way to buy the last version of Adobe Illustrator the works without the cloud.

Some companies, like Autodesk, use it well. You can install their Fusion 360 CAD software for free if you sign on as a student/hobbyist.

Plus these subscriptions auto pay which rears the ugly head of an aging digital society having their money drained off when they become forgetful.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-17, 05:50 AM   #967
vienna
Navy Seal

Microsoft is releasing a slimmed down version of Windows 10 aimed at the laptop market:

http://www.businessinsider.com/micro...ws-10-s-2017-4

<O>
Old 05-03-17, 12:56 PM   #968
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

It's a padded cell and you're in manacles. You can use any software you want as long as it's downloaded from the Microsoft Store, and that's only the beginning of the "captivity with a smile" campaign in this abortion of an operating system.

They are specifically going for the educational system, which has enthusiastically adopted Google Chromebooks. For Microsoft to succeed here, the schools must ditch all the hardware they've purchased in the last several years and replace it with more expensive stuff.

Chromebooks account for about 60% of the educational market with Apple and Microsoft at about 20% each. Schools are all very happy within the Chrome environment. Chances of Microsoft success? Somewhere less than zero.
Old 05-03-17, 01:22 PM   #969
ValoWay
Lieutenant

Downloads: 103

ohh, poor MS wants sooo hard a piece of the pie, it's about to become pathetic..
ValoWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-17, 03:13 AM   #970
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
It's a padded cell and you're in manacles. You can use any software you want as long as it's downloaded from the Microsoft Store, and that's only the beginning of the "captivity with a smile" campaign in this abortion of an operating system.
The odd thing about this argument is Apple, by severely limiting not only the software that could be used on Mac desktops/laptops, but, also the very hardware available (not under Apple license? You can't use it...), has been doing exactly this since its inception, with very little outcry about Apple being unreasonably "controlling"; imagine the outcry if Microsoft had imposed the same restrictions as Apple on PC products...

Quote:
They are specifically going for the educational system, which has enthusiastically adopted Google Chromebooks. For Microsoft to succeed here, the schools must ditch all the hardware they've purchased in the last several years and replace it with more expensive stuff.
This would be true of any switch from any one OS/hardware platform to another. Apple, up until the last 5 or so years, was the dominant OS/hardware platform chiefly because they early on pretty much gave away or sold their product at extremely low prices to educational entities at all levels to ensure a firm hold on the market for later, higher priced sales; it was a model sort of loosely based on the stereotypical drug pusher motif: "Yeah, here, the first taste is free, but the next hit is gonna cost you..."

A few years back, the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD). a district encompassing over 960 square miles, about 735,000 students, over 26,000 teachers and a budget of about US$7.6 billion, at the urging of a senior administrator, initiated a program to give an IPad for each student in the LAUSD system. The project was a disastrous failure and cost the LAUSD staggering amounts of money, at taxpayer expense and to the enrichment of Apple. It was later discovered the senior administrator whose bright idea it was had a more than cozy relationship with Apple and was, in essence, a shill for Apple computers. The fact the administrator favored and pushed for the much more expensive Apple platform over proposed much less expensive PC-based alternative should have raised warning flags, but thus is the course of governmental procurement and bureaucracy...

Quote:
Chromebooks account for about 60% of the educational market with Apple and Microsoft at about 20% each. Schools are all very happy within the Chrome environment. Chances of Microsoft success? Somewhere less than zero.
Here is a March 2, 2017 NY Times article on market shares in US classrooms:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/02/t...education.html

As can be seen in the article's graph, Apple has dipped slightly in share while PCs have gained slightly; Google really didn't become a factor until 2012 and didn't surpass Apple until some time in late 2013. A while back, I posted an opinion that, given the ubiquity of Android-based hardware such as cellphones, tablets, etc., Google would become the preeminent platform across all devices. Where Apple sought to gain a stranglehold on the education market by giveaways and low-balling prices, Android has the advantage of being literally the main entry level exposure to technology for newer student entering the school system; every kid either has or has access to an Android cell phone, tablet, or other device. Add to this the relatively inexpensive Android-based hardware and their availability, the ability to easily move across multiple devices, and it is no surprise Apple and MS are falling by the wayside...

<O>
Old 05-04-17, 09:27 AM   #971
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

The interesting thing is that Chromebook users don't complain about their systems. They just use them! They are consistently the happiest of all computer users, which might seem strange to us local storage addicts.

But the Google ecosystem with Google Drive, Google Maps, Chrome, Google Pnotos, Google Sheets, Docs, Gmail, You Tube......it goes on and on, really work well together. I just set up a real and capable computer as a Google centric machine, like a Chromebook on steroids. I have to admit it was a compelling thing. And as you can see below, I'm linking Google Photos instead of Photobucket to my posts lately. Google Photos is unlimited and no ads, compared to Photobucket's ad choked interface that tries your patience every time.

Google also has been more honest in its marketing stuff than Microsoft has been. Microsoft gave you all those "privacy controls" which did very, very little. With Google the controls work, to the point of shutting off any behavioral surveillance at all. You will still receive ads, they just won't be "targeted" ads. Google privacy controls actually allow you to control how Google collects information. What a concept! Of course, they also are not serving me ads in Google Drive or Google Photos like Microsoft is doing in Windows Explorer (or whatever it's called this week).

It's going to be very difficult for Microsoft to capture any more of the educational market.

From your linked article:

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 05-04-17 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-05-17, 10:13 AM   #972
vienna
Navy Seal

@Rockin Robins: Thanks for posting the graph. For some strange reason, the copy and paste function on my machine wasn't working properly and, try as I might, the paste just didn't come out right and my insomnia was waning, so I gave up; that was the reason I referred to the graph in my post in hopes others would give it a good look...

Thanks again...

<O>
Old 05-25-17, 02:16 PM   #973
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Windows 10 S Won’t Let Users Install Linux Distros

Well, various people have been posting about how Microsoft is singing Kumbaya with Linux and how great it is that Windows will be giving Linux such needed "support."

Well, part of the goodness known as Windows 10S will be that you will be blocked from installing any version of Linux on that machine. Also you will be unable to install ANYTHING from anywhere else but the Windows Store.

No browsers but Edge. No search engine but Bing. No command line apps. No shells. Read the article linked above and be disgusted.

Yeah, Windows LOVES Linux. For dinner...... We'll see who eats who. Linux already owns the web. The desktop is next.
Old 05-25-17, 03:19 PM   #974
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Europe is living under Microsoft’s digital killswitch

You might think Skybird is off his rocker with fantasies of Microsoft evil. Well, he might be a bit off, but he's also perfectly on target. Here's independent corroboration of all the Skybird paranoia to date.

Word to wise: it's worse than he has said. NSA back doors allowing spying on European governments through Microsoft Windows? Check!

Windows using the "crack cocaine model" to raise the young skulls full of mush on proprietary Microsoft Word, Excel and Windows for free so they can be made to buy it when they're older? Check!

Microsoft infiltration of foreign European governments by any means necessary, producing a legislative DEMAND for Microsoft products, especially when it is against their national interest to use horrendously expensive Microsoft products? Check!

Microsoft's purposeful use of proprietary file formats, not for the purpose of delivering higher quality, but for the purpose of locking out alternative software from ability to read the data, imprisoning Europe in a Microsoft prison? Check!

Inclusion of a kill switch, allowing Microsoft and/or the US Government to shut down all European systems or any of them individually without notice or consent? Check!

Yup, it's all there and more than even Skybird could come up with. Microsoft is a completely unethical company which deserves to die. For sure!

(I'm just visualizing the possibilities of Skybird translating all this into German, where a word for word translation will come up gibberish "Skybird might be a little off but he's also perfectly on target". Can you imagine any translator getting that right? Languages aren't just alternate ways to present ideas, they are different modes of thought and that doesn't always translate! Standing by........)

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 05-26-17 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-29-17, 11:23 AM   #975
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Actually, I strongly assume, no, I take it for granted that Microsoft, Apple, Google, Facebook, Twitter are tools of US foreign policy and support the Us government regarding info collection and options for interventions that else would be handled and taken care of by the intelligence services. I strongly assume that thes ecompoanies could not opt out even if they would want that - if they reveal their compliance with according demands by the adminsitraiton a nd governmental services, the responsible directors of mentione companies would risk to end up in prison for year - in compliance with existing US laws threatening up to 5 years for this "offence". Its also about a wanted US option to conduct business espionage more easily, of course. But if a company uses cloud services for in any way sensitive business or project data, then that is n aivety on a level and of a scale that I could not imagine even if I were fully drunk.

Meanwhile , new illustrations of how you cannot shut down the always too much tracking telemetry even of W10 Enterprise: https://xato.net/windows-spying-and-...t-19203babb2e7

What the future holds? Chipping humans, even babies already.

No, I do not mean that as a joke. I am bloody serious.

Tags
windows