SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-20-17, 04:15 PM   #1
Lonny007
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 982
Uploads: 0
Default Crashes Loading Save Games I have never experienced one, I am wondering why? Also

Hello, still using a older Dell Gaming Laptop as my main computer i do everything on for over 10 years has XP Pro, been playing SH3 for a long time too (many years) and always play campaigns and the VII Sub and i have never experienced this "Crashes Loading Save Game Bug" that i see many others complain about. I dont use any of the big Mods, no commander, just some select individual mods. I am very happy with the way it plays SH3 and my other favorite games like Dangerous Waters and Vietcong and a few others. The only problem is the Laptop will not play Atlantic Fleet properly, so I am thinking of upgrading to a newer Laptop I most likely will keep using XP Pro. Anyhow I would hate to upgrade Laptop and lose my rock solid SH3 game and have this "Crashes Loading Save Game Bug". I am a computer tech savvy person and it makes me wonder about the problem i see many complaining about. is this a operating system bug XP Pro versus Win7, is it a MOD problem, or is it a Computer Hardware problem, Any ideas, is there allot of other users that have never experienced this bug too? Thanks for any info!
Lonny007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 04:25 PM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Usually a big mod problem. Sometimes depending on the type of mods you use, they conflict with each other and cause a CTD. you just have to experiment with the mods to see which one works, and which ones do not. Sometimes one mod does not work with another mod, and has nothing to do with the game, and it crashes.

The best advice I have... find your favorite mod configuration and leave it. Never change it unless you really need to. I have several copies of the game on my laptop, with different configurations just to change it up.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 05:43 PM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi Lenny
XP and SH3 are not that far apart regarding their age.
Windows 7 works ok with SH3.
Windows 10 does not like SH3 and should be run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and then works without further problems.
CTD when loading the game will usually be a compatible OS problem from my experience.
Windows 10 will run SH4 and SH5 without any compatibility necessary.
SH3Commander and other applications are not a problem running on SH3, the important thing is to run these applications as administrators.
SH3 should be used with the 4gb patch.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 09:23 PM   #4
Benzin1973
Engineer

Downloads: 151

I too think that those CTDs, crashes on save, etc. problems only apprear when you start adding supermods to the mix.
A while ago i played quite a bit of vanilla sh3 (plus a few minor mods made by me), i could save in port, submerged, in combat, etc. and i never had a CTD.
Add a supermod to the mix, even well known & tested mods like GWX, and now you cant save near ships, you cant save submerged, or near ports. and even with those precautions, CTDs happen sometimes.

Bottom line, dont fear that changing your PC will cause you to have CTDs, as long as you continue to play your semi-vanilla mix, you will be fine. In other words, the reason your game is stable, is because of the lack of mods, not just because of your pc.

cheers!
Benzin1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 05:30 AM   #5
Lonny007
Electrician's Mate

Thanks for the replys! Thats what I was thinking too Benzin1973, thanks for the post. I will experiment with what I call my saved perfect install of SH3 on some newer (but still old hehe) faster laptops with XP and report back the results, I am hoping no crashes, should be interesting.

Lonny
Old 05-13-17, 12:51 PM   #6
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3

I run GWX, and I heard all of that nonsense about crashes on loading saves and steps to avoid it (never save submerged, always be at 1 TC, never have ships nearby), and I ignored all of that. I never had any type of crashing problems.

Until I got the IXD. Then I had crashes all the time.

So I suspect your love for the VII line has saved you from crashes.
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 05:31 AM   #7
Lonny007
Electrician's Mate

Thank you for the reply, very interesting Zosimus! Sounds like you are on to the real reason of the crashes. Well thankfully i am happy in the VII Subs, i hate unstable games especially where you have time invested like campaign mode and trying for a realistic feeling nothing worse then a crash in a campaign. Thank You again for the reply!

Londog