SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-22-17, 06:53 AM   #31
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Thanks Moonlight, much appreciated.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-17, 07:08 AM   #32
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

I had Comodo firewall on my old XP and ran flawlessly, is this still ok to use?:
https://www.comodo.com/home/internet...y/firewall.php
Maybe Avast?

Old 01-22-17, 10:10 AM   #33
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

No. On WXP and W7 Commodo has since years a very lousy reputation. I abandoned it many years ago already, it failed me twice and only other scanners rang the alarm.

Once again, take AV Institute as a compass, they - to my best knowledge - are not beign financed by the industry, and they do nothing but minitoring sec suites's behaqviour and perofmance in the wild, over long time frames of months.

https://www.av-test.org/de/antivirus...ows/windows-7/

Note that Windows Essentials and Commodo for W7 score 50% or less points in security" only and make the two last ranks in the list.

On XP, Commodo again makes last place only.

95-96% of widely distributed malware recognized sounds like a good score, but it means that 4-5 of 100 attacks get through. And an a system lionked to the web and actively used for web-affairs can get hundreds of attacks per day, say in a company office. It depends on the purpose it is being used for.

Microsoft Essentials for W7 can drop even below the 90% mark.

The leaders achieve 100%.

BitDefender sounds good to me, Kaspersky, Trend Micro, they are tight, and fast. However, on BitDefendert and Kaspersky, I have read many report sover the past years that users ran nto troubles in case of deinstalling it, or system stability getting damaged in any way. Also, company service is said to be lousy to non-existent by some.

Get a good pack where you pay not more than 30 bucks per year, and that maybe offers 2-4 licenses, maybe even distrubuted between Android and Windows devices. You then can use it on your tablet or smartphone as well without needing to pay again.

A security suite is a mjst, and a standard. That doe snot mean - Robbins is right - that it is a fail-safe solution and then you can make all nonsense yo8i want and always are secure. Its simply is reasonable to use such a suite nevertheless, there is so much old bad stuff out there. If you leave the house, you close and lock the front door, too, don'T you - that does not mean a determined rogue cannot get in, but you avoid the inviting opportunity of leavign the door open, and you win so9me time in case somebody takes on that locked door. The better and more solid the door and locks, the more time you win, and maybe the bad guy is driven off, whcih statistcially will be the case if after 3 minutes he was not successful. Most bad guys then break off.

Shut and lock that door. Use a security suite. Behave reasonable nevertheless.
Old 01-24-17, 06:08 PM   #34
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Hmm, I don't think my "NETGEAR AirCard 790S" mobile WI-FI would be classified as a router!!
Anyone know of any good free firewall programs?

It's been a few years, but on my Win XP machine, I usually ran:
(my bro also used some of these on his Win7 pc)

Firewall: ZoneAlarm. I always had it "locked" unless I was specifically doing something online.

Anti-Spyware: Spybot: Search and Destroy. Set up very restrictively, in Spybot I had most of the "options" for IE and the system "locked".

Anti-Virus: AVG. At the time I first tried it, it would show false positives on legitimate system files, so I would install and update when needed, but otherwise I just kept a recent version of the installer on the hard drive in case I needed it.

I had 1 virus in 5 years, and NONE of the virus programs were catching that virus. I had to use a Spybot tool to remove it.

Now these may have all gone downhill, but that was my last setup for Windows....

--------------------------

As far as Linux, Fedora has a firewall that comes with the system, I believe Ubuntu does as well.

Most changes require a password from a "PowerUser", i.e. "authentication" to be entered when you are making changes.
OR, root's password.

My main login is set as an "administrator" or "Power User", and I can install new software etc. But to change a setting, such as the resolution for the video, I have to enter the root password to be able to access the program in "write" mode. Otherwise all I can do is look at it. I can't access system areas either. Not even just to view.

The firewall program (firewallD, I THINK) allows access via address and/or ports, not specific programs.

For example, to host Minecraft when my brother and I play (once in a blue moon).
(please note: there MAY be a way, but I haven't found it, or run across instructions on how to do so.)
While I can join his game, hosting is a bit different...
I can't set the firewall to allow just Minecraft through, I can't set it to allow just Java through (Minecraft runs in java), but I have to open the "port" that Minecraft host on.
The problem with a "single player world" is that when I make it a LAN game (or "open to LAN") it host on a random port number.
So I have to go to the command line, and enter the command that allows all connections to and from my bro's IP address.
BUT, it resets when I reboot my PC. So it is only temporary.

I've yet to make it "permanent", but he moved out, so we don't play it that much...

However he did "ping" me on my Dual Core 2.8ghz with Fedora 20, with his 8-core FX8350 with 16GB ram, with a 4GB ping.... Fedora pretty much ignored it.
Slowed down my access to subsim for a few seconds, but mostly good.

We were on the same home network at the time....

On the Linux Side you should be good to go.

Barracuda

Just a note: I also pull the network cable on my PC unless I'm online, over the years it has helped me troubleshoot problems.
And since I jumped in to Linux full time a few years ago (I've had Linux installed since Fedora Core 3, about 2005), it helped me
to figure out what was installed and what I needed. Allowing me to figure out "what was what". In Windows, pulling the plug was my "primary" firewall!

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 01-24-17 at 06:19 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-17, 07:10 AM   #35
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Well I ended up getting my nephew to set this up and just got it back, it's now a "WOW" machine, He did a great job on it, When it starts it pops up with a menu of 4 items, Windows 10 Pro, Ubuntu Linux, bios setup and Ubuntu setup. If I don't select anything the computer witll start by default Win 10.
He also setup quite a few programs, set windows and linux up with stuff like firefox,(with AdBan,Adblock Plus,Ghostery) winamp, vlc player, Paragon backup (essential) etc.
The biggest thing was Virtual Desktop wich contains Win 10, Linux, and XP Pro!!! He has given me a tour and a text file with passwords etc.
I have ordered a 1Tb usb drive for backups
He also added this:

Quote:
NOTES
Mounting error in Ubuntu "Unable to mount the Primary & Secondary drives due to hibernation"
You will get this error if Windows 10 gets the chance to hibernate the drives, this will happen if you reboot from Windows 10 into Ubuntu,
the workaround is to simply shutdown the computer from Windows 10 before starting up Ubuntu to mount the drives correctly,
unfortunately this means you cannot use any form of fastboot in Windows 10, doing so will create a file called hiberfil.sys on each drive where the paused states of the drives are kept
I haven't had a chance to play with it yet but looks good and know who to call if there are any problems.
My nephew read through the forum threads here to get some ideas/help.
Thanks All for your input and guidance,
I really appreciate it.

Reece.

Old 02-27-17, 10:55 PM   #36
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

Good to know that you are now back up and running!

Also glad to know that all of our collective banter proved to be useful.
Even if it was simply for amusement, and an example of which way NOT to go!

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote