SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-25-17, 08:15 PM   #16
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Did yet another Win10ectomy. Now upgraded to Windows 7 and working well. The person I did it for is ecstatic. The Geek Squad told her it was impossible. Hehehehehehe!

You know, the strange thing is that if I applied to work at the Geek Squad they'd say I wasn't qualified, but I know much, much more than they do. Something is fatally wrong with modern hiring practices, where abilities are worthless and pieces of paper are what gets you the job. I'm glad I'm not 20. I hate working for stupid people.
I think you are missing the point. The Geek Squad is in the business to sell you a new computer. I know a computer shop which gets computers from the geek squad and they have been intentionally disabled by them when a customer brings them in for repairs. A common practice of theirs is to partially remove the memory modules from their sockets and tell the customer their computer is bad.

A woman I know purchased her computer from them as a cost of $ 1800 dollars. a year and a half later she was told later her hard drive was bad and the computer was beyond repair and they sold her another unit. I looked over her unit and discovered the hard drive was fine but that was after she had purchased a new computer.

I took my computer to them and intentionally disabled it. I wanted to see if they could identify the " issue it was having having " They lied to me telling me it had viruses and the computer was done for. I then asked how they could have performed the testing they said they did since I intentionally disabled it. They just gave me back my computer and the manager and tech had nothing more to say.

They are not stupid, just completely dishonest.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-17, 06:38 AM   #17
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I think you are missing the point. The Geek Squad is in the business to sell you a new computer. I know a computer shop which gets computers from the geek squad and they have been intentionally disabled by them when a customer brings them in for repairs. A common practice of theirs is to partially remove the memory modules from their sockets and tell the customer their computer is bad.

A woman I know purchased her computer from them as a cost of $ 1800 dollars. a year and a half later she was told later her hard drive was bad and the computer was beyond repair and they sold her another unit. I looked over her unit and discovered the hard drive was fine but that was after she had purchased a new computer.

I took my computer to them and intentionally disabled it. I wanted to see if they could identify the " issue it was having having " They lied to me telling me it had viruses and the computer was done for. I then asked how they could have performed the testing they said they did since I intentionally disabled it. They just gave me back my computer and the manager and tech had nothing more to say.

They are not stupid, just completely dishonest.
Dishonest? No, that is criminal, straight and simple. Has no investigative TV magazine for the bored masses ever tried to trick and then to sue them?
Old 02-26-17, 09:26 AM   #18
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Dishonest? No, that is criminal, straight and simple. Has no investigative TV magazine for the bored masses ever tried to trick and then to sue them?

I'm not sure and there may have been investigations but nothing was ever done. I have heard similar stories from others who have had the " geek Squad " work on their computers.

A news story came out 2 weeks ago where an arrangement was discovered between the Geek Squad and the the government to snoop through any computer brought in for repairs. Geek squad employees are paid $ 500 " spiffs " for snooping.

https://www.technocracy.news/index.p...mer-computers/

While some of the activities the Govt. is looking for is criminal and reprehensible, it raises issues as to how that that evidence is collected. Even more troublesome is that Innocent people can be caught up in these searches if they purchased used computers from outlets like Ebay or garage sales and have the geek squad perform routine maintenance or " scrubbing " the computer that they can't do themselves.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 02-26-17 at 09:36 AM.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-17, 01:26 PM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Hard drives certainly are no item I would consider to hand over for repair. When it works, it works, when there is a problem, I destroy and replace it.