SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-28-16, 07:26 AM   #1
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Default Windows updates

Has anyone else not been able to get hold of September's updates? I have checked for Win8.1 time and time again and all I am getting is checking that never ends!

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 08:15 AM   #2
STEED
Lucky Jack

Sorted, just d/l the Windows Update Diagnostic which fixed the error. Now i can go though Sept updates.

UPDATE

I seem to have a odd problem, after downloading Septembers updates I ran the check for updates again and once again it was stuck on checking so I ran the Windows Update Diagnostic again and no go. But if I run the Windows Update Diagnostic while I am checking for updates I can see what is up for grabs in a short time.

This is odd, it seems I can only grab updates when I run both together.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!

Last edited by STEED; 10-28-16 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-28-16, 11:48 AM   #3
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Did you read this?
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3136173/microsoft-windows/how-to-cautiously-update-windows-7-and-81-machines.html

I was going to wait a day or two and then do it. He has direct links to some initial KB's for Group B <-- Maybe Me.

Right now Subsim is in German and I don't speak German any more. Other Websites are still English. <-- Fixed, back to English - lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Sorted, just d/l the Windows Update Diagnostic which fixed the error. Now i can go though Sept updates.

UPDATE

I seem to have a odd problem, after downloading Septembers updates I ran the check for updates again and once again it was stuck on checking so I ran the Windows Update Diagnostic again and no go. But if I run the Windows Update Diagnostic while I am checking for updates I can see what is up for grabs in a short time.

This is odd, it seems I can only grab updates when I run both together.

Last edited by aanker; 10-28-16 at 06:03 PM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 04:00 PM   #4
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
Did you read this?
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3136173/microsoft-windows/how-to-cautiously-update-windows-7-and-81-machines.html

I was going to wait a day or two and then do it. He has direct links to some initial KB's for Group B <-- Me.

Right now Subsim is in German and I don't speak German any more. Other Websites are still English. <-- Fixed, back to English - lol
September was the last month of getting hold of individual updates before the big change in October. Yes I read that article and can not get pass step one, I see no KB3192391 for October 11th. All I see for that date is KB3192392 and KB3192404.

From this point on I shall not be downloading any updates ever again as MS have already said they are putting snooping stuff in the Security Only Quality Updates.

Old 10-28-16, 06:01 PM   #5
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
I see no KB3192391 for October 11th. All I see for that date is KB3192392 and KB3192404.

From this point on I shall not be downloading any updates ever again as MS have already said they are putting snooping stuff in the Security Only Quality Updates.
I'm Win 7 64 bit and haven't had any luck updating for a few months.
-
Group A - accept everything including Microsoft snooping.
Group B - Security patches only plus some snooping.
I forgot what group is for those who will never update again - Group X ??

Like you I intend to be a Group X person. The .Net update sounded interesting however anything I run that needs .Net already works, and has since before the last update of it.

Both you and I are happy with Office 2003 IIRC

Google snoops too so I don't use Gmail, Chrome, or log in, unless I write a message on YouTube.

I stay away from The Cloud anything, and have minimal info on Facebook.

Maybe I'll move into a cave : )
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote