SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-18-13, 11:05 AM   #16
ninja turtle
Frogman

Downloads: 249
Uploads: 0
Charts add on

Hi matey. I'd love to use this mod but after downloading, installing via JSGME whilst in port I don't appear to have any charts as exampled in these images (which look awesome). I am using GWX Gold mod with SH3 as well. Any ideas? Really hate clicking through the ship recon. manual.
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-13, 01:35 AM   #17
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
Hi matey. I'd love to use this mod but after downloading, installing via JSGME whilst in port I don't appear to have any charts as exampled in these images (which look awesome). I am using GWX Gold mod with SH3 as well. Any ideas? Really hate clicking through the ship recon. manual.
Are you using MaGui F mod as well as GWX? If not, JSGME will probably not work for you.

Do you use any other mods that alter menu_1024_768.ini?

I'm sorry to say that installing the mod is not very easy. Most people probably need to do it by hand - first copying the tga files to the right folder and then editing and renumbering menu_1024_768.ini.
Old 01-19-13, 03:40 AM   #18
brett25
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 570

I frickin love these kinda of mods....simple and so relevant.... really great stuff, mate, well done
brett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-13, 06:45 AM   #19
ninja turtle
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
Are you using MaGui F mod as well as GWX? If not, JSGME will probably not work for you.

Do you use any other mods that alter menu_1024_768.ini?

I'm sorry to say that installing the mod is not very easy. Most people probably need to do it by hand - first copying the tga files to the right folder and then editing and renumbering menu_1024_768.ini.
Thanks for the reply. I've now installed MaGui F along with GWX, but it hasn't worked. However I'm very impressed with the MaGui mod. Certainly makes the game more immersive. I'm always worried about changing files within the game as I'm not that clued up with computers. Thanks again for the help fellow mariner.
Old 01-19-13, 09:11 AM   #20
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've now installed MaGui F along with GWX, but it hasn't worked.
The order of the mods is relevant as well. First you install GWX, then MaGui F, and after those two, Charts addon.

Be sure to make a backup copy if you decide to try editing the menu file - without a working menu_1072_768.ini file SH3 will most likely crash.

@brett25: thanks a lot, much appreciated!
Old 01-19-13, 11:40 AM   #21
ninja turtle
Frogman

I tried installing in the order you said but no joy. Oh well! I'll just carry on and try and sink ships. Thanks for the help
Old 01-20-13, 12:42 AM   #22
sublynx
Sea Lord

Damn. I have no idea of anything else you could try to get it working.

Maybe you can print some of the charts on paper - that is how I played before I managed to make this mod. Here's a link where you'll find the ship recognition pictures in pdf format:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1487

Good luck on sinking those ships
Old 01-20-13, 03:40 AM   #23
brett25
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 570

this may be a long shot ninja turtle, but make sure when you click on the charts addon folder, your next folder inside that is the data folder, etc. Sometimes the way zip files work is you may see another charts addon folder inside the first one, if this is the case the mod will not be installing in JGSME. Usually a sign that the mod is installing will be a JGSME warning that you are about to overwrite this or that file, which is what you want to do....good luck
brett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-13, 08:14 AM   #24
sublynx
Sea Lord

What this mod does in a nutshell is it

1. adds pictures (copy paste tga files)
2. tells SH3 where to find those pictures (edit menu_1024_768.ini)
3. tells SH3 where to show those pictures (edit menu_1024_768.ini)

If menu_1024_768.ini is messed up SH3 will most likely crash when loading. So my hunch is the same as brett25's: probably SH3 can't find the pictures and it might be useful to doublecheck that the pictures really are in the folder where they should be (SH3/data/menu/gui/layout).
Old 01-20-13, 12:39 PM   #25
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843

In archive not correct way. There is no Menu folder.
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-13, 03:12 PM   #26
ninja turtle
Frogman

First of all thank you so much for the help I'm getting in this post. @brett25 I'll recheck what I tried to put in JSGME tomorrow after work. I'm sure I checked whether the folder was correct with the data folder inside but with my track record of installing mods...who knows? @sublynx I've downloaded your link with pdf files and will definitely be using them as a guide/tutorial...a bit of bedtime reading when I'm away with work and away from my games pc and as assistance when playing I'll keep you updated on this thread if I have any joy with the mod...or not. Thanks again guys
Old 01-21-13, 08:31 AM   #27
ninja turtle
Frogman

Well I've checked the folder for the mod and I have: 'data', 'make your own charts', 'menu_1024_768.ini', and 'readme and installation.doc' sub folders within. I put the whole folder with the other contents (as it contains 'data') into JSGME but it doesn't seem to work.
Old 01-21-13, 10:31 AM   #28
sublynx
Sea Lord

I think Anvar1061 has solved this problem, thank a million I seem to have made some kind of mistake in packing my mod and the folder path is wrong

I'll make a new archive package of my mod with a correct folder structure and hopefully JSGME works as it should after that. I believe I'll have time to upload the corrected mod package tonight.

If not or you don't want to waste time waiting or downloading, just unpack the mod and change the folder path yourselves:

The tga files are now in a folder Charts addon/data/gui/layout
The tga files should be in a folder Charts addon/data/menu/gui/layout

1. Unpack the archive
2. Open folder Charts addon/data
3. Add a new folder and name it menu
4. Cut folder gui
5. Go to folder menu
6. Paste folder gui

After that it should work through JSGME.

I'll post again after having uploaded a corrected version of my mod.
Old 01-21-13, 11:06 AM   #29
sublynx
Sea Lord

Ok. Now the file in downloads section should be a new corrected one.

Please let me know if it works or if there still is a problem of some sorts.
Old 01-21-13, 11:11 AM   #30
ninja turtle
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublynx View Post
I think Anvar1061 has solved this problem, thank a million I seem to have made some kind of mistake in packing my mod and the folder path is wrong

I'll make a new archive package of my mod with a correct folder structure and hopefully JSGME works as it should after that. I believe I'll have time to upload the corrected mod package tonight.

If not or you don't want to waste time waiting or downloading, just unpack the mod and change the folder path yourselves:

The tga files are now in a folder Charts addon/data/gui/layout
The tga files should be in a folder Charts addon/data/menu/gui/layout

1. Unpack the archive
2. Open folder Charts addon/data
3. Add a new folder and name it menu
4. Cut folder gui
5. Go to folder menu
6. Paste folder gui

After that it should work through JSGME.

I'll post again after having uploaded a corrected version of my mod.
Fantastic news!! I'll wait till you've updated it and download the amended version. I take it I should delete the previous charts add on? Thanks @Anvar1061. I saw your reply but had no idea what it meant Looking forward to using your mod finally