SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-03-08, 03:02 PM   #61
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Nice work on continuing to update this fred Radio mods are great for immersion.

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-08, 05:44 PM   #62
retroflow
Watch

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0
Default Contact Report. More Content Located.

While hunting around for more vintage audio, I came across a link to vintage video which lead to more vintage audio. I found these and thought some of you may be able to use them. There's also contact information to groups which may possibly lead to more files.

I have found a set of Orson Wells' radio shows dating from 1941 through 1945. They're available as mp3s and .ogg vorbis. The files numbered by the date - eg 411207, as well as a description of what they pertain to.

http://www.archive.org/details/Orson...timeBroadcasts

There's also a series of files for The Pacific Story which was on NBC radio, at 11:30pm (EST?) from July '1943 until 1947.

http://www.archive.org/details/OTRR_..._Pacific_Story
http://www.archive.org/details/OTRR_..._Story_Singles

The quality of he files that I have heard are very good. Adapting them to the game, I leave up to you as well as whether or not to use them at all.

I will report on more materials as I find them.

Cheers..
retroflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-08, 07:33 PM   #63
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroflow
While hunting around for more vintage audio, I came across a link to vintage video which lead to more vintage audio. I found these and thought some of you may be able to use them. There's also contact information to groups which may possibly lead to more files.

I have found a set of Orson Wells' radio shows dating from 1941 through 1945. They're available as mp3s and .ogg vorbis. The files numbered by the date - eg 411207, as well as a description of what they pertain to.

http://www.archive.org/details/Orson...timeBroadcasts

There's also a series of files for The Pacific Story which was on NBC radio, at 11:30pm (EST?) from July '1943 until 1947.

http://www.archive.org/details/OTRR_..._Pacific_Story
http://www.archive.org/details/OTRR_..._Story_Singles

The quality of he files that I have heard are very good. Adapting them to the game, I leave up to you as well as whether or not to use them at all.

I will report on more materials as I find them.

Cheers..
Thanks for the research and the links retro. It appears that there is more than enough program material to work with.

The already great radio mods that are out are a fine example of the work that has gone into the SH4 radio to enhance our listening environment on those long hours between contacts.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 09:34 AM   #64
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Thanks for the info. I have already found the Orson Welles Radio Almanac on Archive.org, and plan to create an add-on for it for my CBS station.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-08, 12:05 PM   #65
retroflow
Watch

Well, I figured some folks may want even more material as there have been requests for more music/shows made from time to time. There's also several episodes of the "Music Depreciation" show with the Frank De Vol Orchestra and the Les Paul Trio. Pretty good stuff.

For all practical purposes, you can find anything you may want at:

http://www.archive.org/browse.php?fi...=radioprograms

This way, if you want something not already available through here, you'll probably find it there. The archives are enormous. Since there are a lot of pre-War radio shows and related broadcast (even films) anyone simply interested in the Era as a whole may find the site enjoyable.
Old 01-15-08, 07:00 PM   #66
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:

That's actually where I've gotten nearly all my programming. Having downloaded all the "good" stuff, I'm mostly just checking it once a week for new stuff, or taking second looks at stuff I passed over before. It is a fantastic resource.
Old 01-16-08, 05:58 AM   #67
Genferret
Loader

Downloads: 36

I definitely need to drop a word of thanks for this mod/these mods.

I had a ton of German music and other music that would be appropriate in the Atlantic for SHIII/GWX, but didn't think those would be proper in SHIV all things considered.

Trigger Maru added a few of my favorite "American" gramaphone tracks, but radio Washington had left me wonder wtf was the point of that feature in SHIV. These mods have answered that question for me.

Downloaded all of them and am installing all of them.

A couple quick or maybe not so quick since I sometimes am wordy, and I apologize in advance if they've been answered elsewhere and I've missed them, anyhow here goes:

With the addition of these, do I really need the Washington station, or should I just renumber it's frequency to get it out of the way since it seems useless to me now? I have to renumber it anyhow, since the recommendation in the readme is to space channels out by 10 and it's between two of your added stations.

Some of the events seem to trigger off on stations on the 6th, 7th, and 8th of December. The two careers I've started out of Pearl have sent me forth on the 9th. That would mean I'd really never get to hear those events on the radio since those dates/times have already passed, correct?

Edit: Also, some of the stations seem to have just events and no music, I'm assuming for all of those if I want music played on them when events aren't happening I just need to add the music myself, and the station will interupt whatever is playing with the event and then go back to music afterwards?

Last edited by Genferret; 01-16-08 at 06:17 AM.
Genferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 11:36 AM   #68
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
I definitely need to drop a word of thanks for this mod/these mods.
Thank you.

Quote:
With the addition of these, do I really need the Washington station, or should I just renumber it's frequency to get it out of the way since it seems useless to me now? I have to renumber it anyhow, since the recommendation in the readme is to space channels out by 10 and it's between two of your added stations.
You can delete it. There are some text messages that are tied to the events in Washington, and these show up on the clipboard even if you're not listening to that station. So if you delete it, you lose those. I've kept mine for just this reason, though I don't play the station anymore. Of course you can also just delete the one music track in it, then add your own music files.

As for the channel number, that's my bad. Before I created my stations, I was using another radio mod which changed Washington's channel number, and forgot stock SH4 uses 22.

Quote:
Some of the events seem to trigger off on stations on the 6th, 7th, and 8th of December. The two careers I've started out of Pearl have sent me forth on the 9th. That would mean I'd really never get to hear those events on the radio since those dates/times have already passed, correct?
I've been waiting for someone to ask this!

1: One of the single war patrol missions lets you start before December 7th.

2: Some mods change the career start date to before the 7th too.

3: You can very easily change the career start date yourself. Open Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\UPCData\UPCCampaignData; then open CareerStart.upc with Notepad. Change this line:

StartTimeInterval=1941-12-08, 1942-02-01

To this:

StartTimeInterval=1941-12-01, 1942-02-01

Save, and then when you select December, 1941 in a career you'll begin a few days before the Pearl Harbor attack.

Quote:
Edit: Also, some of the stations seem to have just events and no music, I'm assuming for all of those if I want music played on them when events aren't happening I just need to add the music myself, and the station will interupt whatever is playing with the event and then go back to music afterwards?
Yes. Music needs to go in the station folder, or for those of mine subdivided by year, in the year sub-folders. Don't put music in the Events folder as it will not play from there.

If you have anymore questions, let me know.
Old 01-17-08, 07:23 AM   #69
retroflow
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615
Quote:

That's actually where I've gotten nearly all my programming. Having downloaded all the "good" stuff, I'm mostly just checking it once a week for new stuff, or taking second looks at stuff I passed over before. It is a fantastic resource.
The place is amazing. Like I said, not only in the audio content but the video as well. Definitely a place to hang out over a weekend or so. Months.
Old 01-17-08, 07:43 AM   #70
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The place is amazing. Like I said, not only in the audio content but the video as well. Definitely a place to hang out over a weekend or so. Months.
Yes, excellent stuff for sure

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 04:37 PM   #71
Jan7
Gunner

Location: 40°37'37.99"N 3°59'43.30"W COLLADO VILLALBA -SPAIN-
Downloads: 5
Quote:
I have created several radio mods for Silent Hunter 4, as well as seperate music files, divided by year. All except the music files are JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler compatible. The files in the mods are of a higher bitrate than some other mods, so they are quite large as a consequence. In fact, you may not wish to use JSGME with a couple of them because of this............
Dear friend Fred8615:

I admired your hard job.....
I am a fan of music, not at simulators -I'm very bad player.... -

With all this music are various days of good and good playing......

Many thanks for share with all us your treasure again.....

In my country, Spain, are one expression: You are one .

Jan.

La llave es de la Libertad de La Sabiduría. El Cerrojo de la Esclavitud la ignorancia
http://www.u-historia.com
http://translate.google.com/? # Es | en|
Jan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 06:47 PM   #72
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan7
Dear friend Fred8615:

I admired your hard job.....
I am a fan of music, not at simulators -I'm very bad player.... -

With all this music are various days of good and good playing......

Many thanks for share with all us your treasure again.....

In my country, Spain, are one expression: You are one .

Jan.
Gracias.

(And that's about the extent of my Spanish. )
Old 01-17-08, 10:57 PM   #73
Genferret
Loader

Downloads: 36

Quote:
You can delete it. There are some text messages that are tied to the events in Washington, and these show up on the clipboard even if you're not listening to that station. So if you delete it, you lose those. I've kept mine for just this reason, though I don't play the station anymore. Of course you can also just delete the one music track in it, then add your own music files.

As for the channel number, that's my bad. Before I created my stations, I was using another radio mod which changed Washington's channel number, and forgot stock SH4 uses 22.
I ended up just renumbering it to be the last station and made some modifications to what it plays, then again I renumbered some of yours too based off what I listened to most in the couple of patrols I've done since getting this mod. Love KPO, so that's now the first station I receive. Next career I'll probably move another station to the front so that I can hear what they have to offer.

Those old shows are great, and the comedy in them is just classic. I've actually found myself playing at 1x TC more so that I can listen to those shows without having to worry about possibly needing to dive so often and having them cut out or muffle.

Quote:
I've been waiting for someone to ask this!

1: One of the single war patrol missions lets you start before December 7th.

2: Some mods change the career start date to before the 7th too.

3: You can very easily change the career start date yourself. Open Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\Data\UPCData\UPCCampaignData; then open CareerStart.upc with Notepad. Change this line:

StartTimeInterval=1941-12-08, 1942-02-01

To this:

StartTimeInterval=1941-12-01, 1942-02-01

Save, and then when you select December, 1941 in a career you'll begin a few days before the Pearl Harbor attack.
I pretty much just play the career mode for SHIII/SHIV. So I'll probably edit the start time before I start my next career. What I did for now was created a new global station out of Minneapolis, MN (where I'm from originally) that plays repeats. The Radio Station Manager mod made that a pretty simple task for me to do.

For now it just plays shows from before the normal career start date and even some from the start date because the actual time your career starts can vary (morning/afternoon/evening). It comes on the air and starts those events on Dec 11th. Eventually I'm going to expand it to play other shows one month after their normal air time so that I can hear stuff I might have missed due to being in port for a month or whatever.
Genferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-08, 10:43 AM   #74
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genferret
Those old shows are great, and the comedy in them is just classic. I've actually found myself playing at 1x TC more so that I can listen to those shows without having to worry about possibly needing to dive so often and having them cut out or muffle.
The way I listen is to use TC until a scripted events starts, then drop down to 1x and use the external camera to watch my boat sail while it plays. If the audio is loud enough, I'll sometimes listen on the Bridge.
Old 01-20-08, 06:24 PM   #75
gclarkso
Watch

Downloads: 261

Thanks for the great content although I'm fuzzy on how to get the music to play.

I have installed (via JSGME) the NBC and CBS audio mods, as well as downloaded the 1940-45 music files. I have moved the music files to the Radio folder...the station specific year folder of the station and individually.

I understand news and other programming are event-based, but am thinking when on patrol, or on a mission, I simply bring up the radio, tune into a station I have installed and hear music.

I'm sure the music content isn't where is supposed to be...I'm just looking for confirmation where they should be.

"They must have spotted our periscope"
gclarkso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music, radio, radio stations