Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-24-17, 03:23 PM   #31
PoorOldSpike
Seaman

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ganger View Post
..why play the FFG is you want it to do everything for you? What's the point in that play style?
Good point mate, you can feed the seagulls on my windowsill any time you like..
The answer is that I often like to play Command-level wargames, that is to say I like to be in command of a number of tanks or infantry squads or ships at the same time. Obviously they can't all be micromanaged in the heat of combat, but the fun lies in ordering them around into positions from where they can deliver devastating blows to the enemy on their own initiative without having to be told what to do..

For example here's a screenshot from a CM Black Sea tournament game which I hosted.
I've pushed a couple of tanks into an enemy village and get a warm fuzzy feeling from knowing my tanks AI will engage any units they see without having to be ordered to fire-
And voila, my tank at bottom right rounds the corner of a house, sees an enemy and automatically clobbers it without me having to micromanage it..

Okay, that's why I started this thread, to ask you guys if the Perry will do that, and your answer is "No it won't, it has to be micromanaged".
In other words, if the Perry detects an enemy vessel at sea, it won't fire Harpoons at it unless you order it to, and it also won't fire SAM's in self-defence against incoming skimmers unless you order it to. (It will however fire its CIWS if set to 'auto' but that's all it'll do)
So my question has been answered, and indicates that DW is for players who like micromanaging.
I shall now go and have a cup of hot sweet tea then flop out on the settee to watch some "Destroyed in Seconds" vids..

Last edited by PoorOldSpike; 08-24-17 at 03:40 PM.
PoorOldSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-17, 03:48 PM   #32
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652

Micro-Managing is a definition that varies according to one cerebral capabilities. If it is overloading for one, one call it Micro-Management. If it is not overloading for one, one call it Management. There are so many thing to do on a warship or a frigate that I would say that, what is specifically required of you in DW is more a management capacity than a micro-management capacity.

Now, if instead of throwing at us your irrelevant credentials (This is a NAVY forum, not ARMY) and playing the offended virgin, you would have started to tell us, that all you wanted to do was to maneuver around some ships in a naval battle and not worry about anything else, we would have been happy to point you out to the right directions.

For example we would have mentioned from Storm Eagle Studios, "Distant Guns RJW Enhanced" and "Jutland" from the same studio. http://www.stormpowered.com

You see, there is no need to brandish old COMBAT MISSIONS competition's trophies...Besides it is not because of what you accomplished once in 2003 that you can accomplish it again in 2017, and that it will supply you with better answers. You are only as good as your last mission! Glory does not last.
BTW, POS, why did you crop out the CONTROL MENU in the bottom of your Combat Mission Black Sea picture?...lol!
PS: As you can see in the pics, the commands to the ship are simple. Would that be all SIR?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DG_WWIp 2017-08-24 15-10-59-84.jpg (91.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DG_WWIp 2017-08-24 15-11-18-43.jpg (91.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DG_WWIp 2017-08-24 15-11-19-76.jpg (90.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by biosthetique; 08-25-17 at 09:45 AM.
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-17, 05:22 PM   #33
PoorOldSpike
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosthetique View Post
..there is no need to brandish old COMBAT MISSIONS competition's trophies...Besides it is not because of what you accomplished once in 2003 that you can accomplish it again in 2017..
Remember mate, if someone is blessed with a magnificent tactical brain (as I am), that superhuman talent extends into land, air AND naval combat, for example I'm currently on the 'Towards Berlin' development team, here are a couple of screenshots of a Hunt Class destroyer I've been testing, I've ordered a LEFT turn, but as you see it's heeling over the wrong way, they'll have to fix that!-

Gun calibration tests-

My hallowed silver trophy may have been won 14 years ago, but rest assured I've topped a number of other wargame leagues on a regular basis since then, and my incredible tactical brain is as razor-sharp as it ever was, and I've been a moderator at several wargaming clubs over the years like this one-

PS- to clarify, Dangerous Waters is an excellent warship simulator for small engagements, but with larger battles some players might not like having to frantically clickfest to try to handle multiple threats at the same time.
However it's still better than the big expensive buggy/glitchy CMANO/Inferno/ Chains which I'm ripping to pieces in threads at the Matrix and Armchair General forums..-

Last edited by PoorOldSpike; 08-25-17 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-25-17, 08:45 PM   #34
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldSpike View Post
PS- to clarify, Dangerous Waters is an excellent warship simulator for small engagements-
DW is not a Warship Simulator, but an ASW centered Naval Warfare simulation...You missed again!

I am glad to know you are having fun with Arma3 and its mod "Towards Berlin".
I am also glad, that we were useful, by answering your questions.
Any questions with Naval War Artic Circle?...But that would be on another thread.
Don't forget the tip!
Old 08-25-17, 10:18 PM   #35
PoorOldSpike
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosthetique View Post
DW is not a Warship Simulator, but an ASW centered Naval Warfare simulation...You missed again!
..Any questions with Naval War Artic Circle?...
1- If DW is not a warship simulator, I'm Mary Poppins..
2- As for NWAC, I've got it but it's a tad too arcadey for me.
Thanks for the link to Stormpowered games, but WW1 and WW2 naval games are not my cup of tea because they're boring and just shell the krap out of each other, I prefer modern stuff with little missiles and things that go whoosh..
Old 08-26-17, 05:07 AM   #36
Polak2
Weps

Downloads: 60

Despite some little roughness here and there you guys made very interesting, informative and good debate. Thank you and please have a go on any other DW topic.

Despite some shortcomings, this already decade old Naval Warfare simulation was, and still is, pretty much pinnacle of the development for this type of computer simulation and I really doubt very much that it can, or will be topped by some other similar future title ...ever.

My only regret is that Sonalyst left so reasonable little in form of information and records about development process, design philosophy as well as user tools and file structure data of surrounding world and environment. Which, in a hindsight,perhaps would better serve longevity and legacy of their masterpiece.

I am soon approaching retirement age and really looking forward to spend some more time with DW and its latest mods.
Polak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-17, 05:40 AM   #37
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Well there's always Fleet Command if you want more of a big-picture command simulation.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-17, 06:21 AM   #38
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Fleet Command have much more "arcade micro-management" than DW
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-17, 11:25 AM   #39
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Quote:
1- If DW is not a warship simulator, I'm Mary Poppins..
Nope, but you are a cheap simulator!...
Old 08-26-17, 12:13 PM   #40
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak2 View Post
My only regret is that Sonalyst left so reasonable little in form of information and records about development process, design philosophy as well as user tools and file structure data of surrounding world and environment. Which, in a hindsight,perhaps would better serve longevity and legacy of their masterpiece.
Very good observation Polak2.
Old 08-27-17, 04:23 AM   #41
PoorOldSpike
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak2 View Post
..I am soon approaching retirement age and really looking forward to spend some more time with DW and its latest mods.
Good for you mate, I took early retirement at age 60 a few years ago and I've never been happier now that there's not that unpleasant thing called "work" getting in the way any more, because now I can spend nearly every waking hour on the computer surfing around, and playing wargames. The only times I have to go out are to do my shopping chore at the grocers, but the upside is that I can spy on the shopwomen between the cans of baked beans.
HEY GUYS, I'm liking DW more and more since creating my own sensational "high command level" missions myself in the Editor, I'll post a few screenshots later when I've refined the structuring.
Meanwhile did I hear there's a mod which includes new "controllable platforms"?

Retirement is one long coffee break..

Last edited by PoorOldSpike; 08-27-17 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-01-17, 09:18 AM   #42
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Quote:
Remember mate, if someone is blessed with a magnificent tactical brain (as I am), that superhuman talent extends into land, air AND naval combat, for example I'm currently on the 'Towards Berlin' development team,...My hallowed silver trophy may have been won 14 years ago, but rest assured I've topped a number of other wargame leagues on a regular basis since then, and my incredible tactical brain is as razor-sharp as it ever was, and I've been a moderator at several wargaming clubs over the years like this one-
WOW!